Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #31
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Sunday April 14th - Cultivating The Magic Tour

Hey everyone, hope you are all having lovely weekends

Right, my last full day in Disneyland went something like this .....

There was early entry at DCA this morning but I decided to skip it and instead have a slightly more relaxing morning with breakfast at the Carnation Cafe

Id made a reservation for 7:30am, the park wasnt officially opening until 8:00am but AP holders had entry from 7:00am so I wasnt entirely sure how this would work out

When I arrived at the turnstile I told the CM I had a breakfast reservation and he simply scanned my ticket and then handed me a Breakfast With Minnie & Friends button

I was still a little early for my reservation so I took the opportunity to take some photos of a pretty much empty Main Street before heading to check in to the restaurant which was literally just about to open its doors

One other gentleman was checking in and we struck up a conversation. Turns out this was his regular Sunday morning routine. He would pick up a newspaper, take a table on the patio and enjoy his breakfast

What a wonderful way to start your day, I think I need to move to California

I followed his example and asked to be seated outside so that I could people watch

My server was wonderful and really looked after me and breakfast was delicious

I ordered a latte and the yoghurt parfait

What an absolute treat to sit in the beautiful location watching the stream of excited new guests arriving on Main St.

Its moments like these that really make the trip for me. I was just so contented sitting there and treasured every moment of it.... I am a lucky lady

After my lovely breakfast I shopped for a little while before checking in for my 9:00am Cultivating The Magic Tour

On my last trip I did the Walt In Walts Footsteps Tour which was really enjoyable.

When on trips to WDW with DH, weve done a couple of the tours and Ive also done a couple of the Disneyland Paris Tours. As you can probably tell, I love the tours!

Seriously, Ive just always found them to be a great way to add a little extra to your trip and when you are traveling solo they are also a good way of getting away from your own company for a while - I was boring myself

Our tour guide was Nicole and she was excellent. The CMs really do a fantastic job on these tours and she was a delight

I think the max number on this particular tour is 15, and it turned out it was just me and one large group of ladies who were all AP holders who met regularly at the parks. Well as soon as they spotted me standing alone they decided to adopt me for the day!

Seriously they were such a lovely group of people and made the tour even more enjoyable. It was a lot of fun chatting with them

The idea behind the tour is to show you how the plants and landscaping of the park all help to tell the story and add to the theme and the environment

You really dont have to have any particular interest or knowledge of plants to enjoy this tour; its just another way of getting great examples of how every little detail has been considered when creating the spaces that the guest sees.

Although this is mainly a walking tour, you do get to experience three rides and first up was Jungle Cruise

Nicole led us to the exit and spoke to the CM who ensured that our group would get the next empty boat.

Nicole took to the microphone, so instead of the usual spiel, she spoke to us about the planting and Walts vision for this ride and the challenges that the imagineers faced in recreating his vision

We continued our journey through the park whist stopping to take in the many beautifully landscaped areas

This is the official Disney Rose, isnt it pretty?

Next up we headed to the Haunted Mansion where Nicole explained that rather than having dead plants surrounding the Mansion (that would never do) a very dark and black color pallet was used

She also took us through a little gate at the side of the Mansion to show us another pet cemetery that I didnt know was there

We then walked onto the ride itself and as I was solo, Nicole jumped into a Doom Buggy with me. Now this turned out to be awesome as she seemed to be a bit of a HM expert and pointed out a ton of stuff I had never noticed and told me some great stories

The only other attraction we rode during the tour was the Storybook Canal Boats. They have this in Paris but its always closed when I visit off season

These guys had taken over the Cinderella Castle area

The tour ended at the hub where we were met by another CM who was carrying a sweet little basket containing a gift of a tour pin and a packet of seeds ..... they were Forget Me Knots

All in all this was a great and relatively inexpensive tour (discounts for APs and DVD members) and I would highly recommend it

I said my goodbyes and thanked the ladies for making me so very welcome before heading off to the Market Place Cafe for a coffee and this super cute cookie

Im pretty sure that this was the last day that the cafe was open before it was closing for its Starbucks makeover, it was certainly closed when I came back the following day

I hung on to my receipt and took full advantage of my free refills for the rest of the day

I sat at a little table outside and right on que, the Dapper Dans came out to perform

What a perfect morning

Coming Up Next ..... All aboard the Lilly Belle

Last edited by Linda67; 05-04-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #32
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Sounds like the perfect morning, Linda.

I took a few notes of your breakfast and tour. Something to keep in mind for our 2015 visit.
I just LOVE the cookie you had. Was it as yummy as it looked?

The tour looks like a lot of fun. We always do some tours too, but this was a new one for me.
Thanks for sharing!
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #33
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Awwww Linda! It was such an awesome day to spend time with you! I certainly don't mind the link!

Your Disney math makes perfect sense and that bag is fabulous. I would love to see it make a return engagement to California!

They voluntarily closed Space Mtn due to an occupational violation issue that has since been resolved. That was bad luck that it just happened to be the time that you were here.

Glad you enjoyed the cookie. But your breakfast at Carnation Cafe on the patio sounds lovely. Now that they remodeled the bakery into an extension of the cafe, it just doesn't feel the same to eat inside. It is great to eat on the patio when the parade is going by!

Your charm is infectious, those ladies with the tour were sucked into your charm vortex!! The tour sounds interesting indeed! Love the button with your name on it.

I'm anxiously awaiting December.

Have a lovely long weekend!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #34
Luisa
Mouseketeer

That tour sounds fascinating, I'd never considered it before but I may look into it now! If anyone is interested the Disneyland rose is called L'il Romeo (or it is in Australia).
Dec '99 & Dec '05 - Disneyland, Oct '08 - Disneyland Hong Kong, Dec '09 - WDW, 2011 - turned 40 at Disneyland in January!, Dec '11 - Tokyo Disneyland, Dec '12 WDW & Disneyland, Nov 2013 Return to Disneyland!, Nov/Dec 2015 -my mums first Disney experience - and another Disneyland visit for me!
Luisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #35
LizzieinDisney
Mouseketeer

That tour sounds way cool. I love all the different options Disney has for exploring the parks!
I am a Disney fanatic. I am a long-time Disneyland Annual Passholder and now a WDW Cast Member. Follow my blog, www.lizzieindisney.blogspot.com for tips, tricks, and dining reviews. And follow me on Twitter @lizzieindisney or Facebook, facebook.com/lizzieindisney

My Dining Review Thread:Living in Disney means Food! My Fine Dining Adventure
LizzieinDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #36
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

What a great morning! Love the idea of that tour. The HM is my favorite so I would have loved hearing the extra stories!

And I love the man that spends his Sunday mornings at the Cafe! What a great way to start the day for sure!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #37
WDWaddictt
DIS Veteran

I am joining along... I would love to get all the tips I can if I ever make it to Disneyland.

Thanks!!
WDWaddictt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #38
Linda67

Sunday 14th April Continued

Sunday 14th Part Two

During the tour, I mentioned to one of ladies that I was looking forward to riding the full circuit of the Disneyland Railway after lunch and she mentioned the Lilly Belle Passenger Car and asked if I had ever ridden in it?

I hadnít, and I seem to remember that Brenda (emmysmommy) had mentioned it to me as well when we met last October

So after my little coffee and snack break, I headed up to Main Street Station and asked one of the CMs if the carriage was in use today and if they had room for one more (where have I heard that before )

Well it was and they did !!

I was asked to be back at the station for 1:15pm at the latest and that I would be riding on the 1:30pm departure

This just gave me time to find a quiet spot to call DH and tell him all about me day so far

Back at the station, my name was crossed off the list and I was handed my special ticket

I think there was probably around 10 of us in the group and once on board, a kind gentleman offered to take my picture

Can you tell I am happy

You stay in the carriage for a full circuit of the track, whilst a CM tells you all about the history of the carriage as well as pointing out other details about the railway along the route

It felt very special to be sitting in this beautiful passenger car and it really reminded me of the visit to Waltís apartment on the Walk In Waltís Footsteps Tour last year

The colors are very similar, in fact the carpet is a replica of the one in the apartment

After we arrived back at Main Street Station, I explored and took a few photos before deciding I really needed to grab some lunch

I jumped into the horse drawn carriage for the short journey up Main Street

Isnít it cool that the horses have CM name badges?

Thanks Danny!

I headed over to Hungry Bear, mainly because I really liked the look of the seating area and indeed it was a lovely place to sit and look out at the water

I chose the vegetarian version of Big Alís Salad

Big Al's Salad - romaine and iceberg lettuce with watermelon, candied pecans, dried cherries, pickled red onions, and honey-lime vinaigrette.

I believe that this is usually served with smoked chicken but can also be served as a vegetarian dish at a lower cost

It was a great little salad, not overly filling and very fresh

Whilst I was enjoying my lunch, I spotted the canoes floating by.

I donít think that these were running on my last trip and I thought it looked like a lot of fun, so after I had finished eating, I headed down to take a closer look

OK, so how cool is this!!! .... proper canoes with proper people power!!!

The CMs that work the canoes are hysterical and we had an awesome canoe full of people who were all laughing a enjoying themselves

Itís actually really hard work!

About half way round I realized I need to work on my arms more at the gym

After our safe arrival back on dry land, I headed over to visit the goats - a must to for me

Oddly, visiting the Goats made me really miss my dog

Then I headed to the Fantasy Faire area of the park as I hadnít really looked around yet

Obviously the area is totally geared up to meeting the princesses which I wasnít looking to do (Iíve learned from bitter experience that I never look good in photos when standing next to a stunning and regal Princess ) but it was still nice to look around at all the details

I also stayed to watch the next show at the Royal Theatre, which was the telling of the story of Beauty & The Beast

I think that the alternate between this show and Tangled

Anyone reading from the UK will know all about British Pantomimes; usually these run over the holidays and tell traditional stories and fairytales in a very tongue in cheek style with lots of booing the bad guys and sing-a-long songs.

The shows at the Royal Theatre are very similar to our pantomimes and I really enjoyed it. The kids were loving it and the actors and characters really did a great job

Right time for a first time sweet treat before leaving the park

Iíd never eaten a beignet in my life and in fact I wasnít entirely sure what they were!

But hey, they were Mickey shaped so they had to be good right?

Oh my word - delicious and messy goodness!

I was really careful when I was eating them but it still looked like there had been an explosion in a powered sugar factory by the time I had finished (whatever you do donít sneeze)

High on sugar, I headed back to tomorrowland and hopped onto the monorail back to the hotel - I could not be trusted walking through DTD with a credit card after that much sugar

Coming Up Next - Yet another visit to Trader Samís & Fantasmic!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #39
Linda67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Sounds like the perfect morning, Linda.

I took a few notes of your breakfast and tour. Something to keep in mind for our 2015 visit.
I just LOVE the cookie you had. Was it as yummy as it looked?

The tour looks like a lot of fun. We always do some tours too, but this was a new one for me.
Thanks for sharing!
Hey Karin
Ooh are you heading to DL in 2015 then? - tell me more!
The cookie was delicious by the way. I often find that this sort of treat is a little disappointing but buy them because they are cute - not the case here, it was a really fresh and tasty shortbread

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Awwww Linda! It was such an awesome day to spend time with you! I certainly don't mind the link!

Your Disney math makes perfect sense and that bag is fabulous. I would love to see it make a return engagement to California!

They voluntarily closed Space Mtn due to an occupational violation issue that has since been resolved. That was bad luck that it just happened to be the time that you were here.

Glad you enjoyed the cookie. But your breakfast at Carnation Cafe on the patio sounds lovely. Now that they remodeled the bakery into an extension of the cafe, it just doesn't feel the same to eat inside. It is great to eat on the patio when the parade is going by!

Your charm is infectious, those ladies with the tour were sucked into your charm vortex!! The tour sounds interesting indeed! Love the button with your name on it.

I'm anxiously awaiting December.

Have a lovely long weekend!
Aww, Brenda you are too kind
I just loved having my breakfast at the Carnation Cafe, in fact stay tuned as there may be a re-visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa View Post
That tour sounds fascinating, I'd never considered it before but I may look into it now! If anyone is interested the Disneyland rose is called L'il Romeo (or it is in Australia).
The tour was great, I really enjoyed it
Thanks for the info on the rose, I thought they were so pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieinDisney View Post
That tour sounds way cool. I love all the different options Disney has for exploring the parks!
You really do see the parks in a different light when you take a tour and the CMs I have had as tour guides are so passionate about what they do, it really makes it special

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
What a great morning! Love the idea of that tour. The HM is my favorite so I would have loved hearing the extra stories!

And I love the man that spends his Sunday mornings at the Cafe! What a great way to start the day for sure!
I know right?
I spent my Sunday morning walking the dog and grabbing a coffee at Starbucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWaddictt View Post
I am joining along... I would love to get all the tips I can if I ever make it to Disneyland.

Thanks!!
Thanks for reading - I hope you get to visit one day; it really is a very special place
Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #40
Velvetia
Mouseketeer

Really enjoying your trip report - thanks so much for sharing. The Lily Belle looks wonderful! And I am definitely going to try a Mickey beignet on our next trip to Disneyland. I'm guessing it's like a doughnut?

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip...

Me DGranny : DS9 DS7
Velvetia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #41
Linda67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvetia View Post
Really enjoying your trip report - thanks so much for sharing. The Lily Belle looks wonderful! And I am definitely going to try a Mickey beignet on our next trip to Disneyland. I'm guessing it's like a doughnut?

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip...
Thanks for reading
Yep, I think the best way of describing a Beignet is like a puffed up, light and airy doughnut.
That's probably a bad description but the important thing is that they are delicious
Old 05-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #42
Linda67

Sunday 14th - Wrap Up

Hi everyone

A very quick update to wrap up Sunday 14th

Back at the hotel, I relaxed, read and started to pack a few bits and pieces for the flight home tomorrow. Usually I would be soooo sad to be packing but I was missing DH soooo much I didnít mind as much as usual

After packing, I decided that there was probably just enough room in my suitcase for another souvenir glass ..... mmm, where to go??

HippopotoMai-Tai - Dare to enter this hippo pool with...Bang! Bang! Two shots of Rum! Don't worry this drink is only dangerous when you start to wiggle your ears!
-- Light and Dark Rums, Orange Curacao, Orgeat (Almond) Syrup, Organic Agave Nectar, and Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice. Served in a souvenir Tiki Glass.

Yep, back at my favorite bar stool - at least they bartenders arenít saying ďthe usual Linda?Ē (yet!)

I also order something from the appertiser menu

Fish Tacos - with Grilled Mahi Mahi, wrapped in Corn Tortillas

Fed and watered I headed back to Disneyland hoping tonight would be the night that I would finally see the fireworks

First up, I had to check in for the Fantasmic! reserved seating/dessert package at 8pm

Even though I had reserved the second, 10:30pm show, everyone starts checking in at the same time. There were probably 20 people in front of me but the line moved really quickly and I was able to secure a front row seat, right in the center

After I had checked in, I couldnít resist another ride on Indie and the Matterhorn - love the single rider options

After the Matterhorn, I walked on to Tea Cups as there was no wait at all - so pretty at night

Next up I headed to the hub with my fingers and toes crossed that we I would finally get to see the fireworks

As per last night, the announcer kept repeating the "due to winds at high elevations. .....' spiel so I was not overly optimistic

I struck up conversation with a couple of WDW vets who were visiting DL for the first time. It was fun to chat away and helped pass the time

Then ..... as if by magic, the CMs began to shout ďright, letís stand up people, we are going to have some fireworks!Ē

A loud cheer went up and happy smiling faces were all around me

Well, what can I say?

What a spectacular fireworks show; it was far, far more impressive than I even imagined it would be

I totally LOVED the music, so cool to hear all that great attraction music and I didnít know about Tink so that was a cool surprise

I didnít even attempt to take photos, I just wanted to enjoy every second, and enjoy every second I did

Boy did I miss DH at this point, he would have loved it

After the fireworks I was just buzzing and I still had Fantasmic! to look forward to

I cut through Fantasy Faire to make my way over to the Rivers Of America and the Fantasmic viewing area (good tip from the boards)

I took my seat, got coffee and water and chowed down

This photo is actually from 2012 but everything was identical

I didn't think the cheese was great so I concentrated on the grapes and sweet stuff

The two standouts were the macaroon and cheesecake

You get a huge amount of food in these boxes, far too much for one person and most people seemed to take the boxes away with them at the end of the show. The plastic lids arenít particularly secure so itís probably a good idea to bring some ziplock bags etc if you intend to take it home with you

I havenít been to see Fantasmic! at WDW for years; itís really not a show I particularly enjoy but in Disneyland .........WOW!

Loved it last year and loved it this year

The dessert package is pretty pricey but I just donít fancy staking out a spot ages in advance, especially when I am on my own and in my opinion the reserved viewing area is a great spot to watch the show from

After the show, the park was closing in like 10 mins but I managed to squeeze in one last ride on Pirates

Seriously Disneylandís Pirates is just wonderful - I could ride over and over again. A great way to end my evening

I walked slowly out of the park and back to the Disneyland Hotel and I think I was probably asleep in about 0.2 seconds

Zzzzzzzzz

Coming Up Next ............... Bye Bye Disneyland
Old 05-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #43
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Hey Karin
Ooh are you heading to DL in 2015 then? - tell me more!
The cookie was delicious by the way. I often find that this sort of treat is a little disappointing but buy them because they are cute - not the case here, it was a really fresh and tasty shortbread
We actually had planned on going to California in 2014, but then we fell in love with the Med itineraries of the Disney Magic. So California was pushed back to 2015, which coinsides with Tom's 50th.
We are planning on a 6 week tour, starting in LA (with 2 or 3 Disney days), then south to San Diego, from there to Palm Springs and Las Vegas. Then up to the wine country and down Highway 1 to LA again, where we want to finish off our trip with another 5 nights at DL.

So I took a couple notes, the Lilly Belle, the tour, Fantasmic viewing ...... thanks for all the hints. They will come in SO handy when we finally return to CA.
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #44
Linda67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
We actually had planned on going to California in 2014, but then we fell in love with the Med itineraries of the Disney Magic. So California was pushed back to 2015, which coinsides with Tom's 50th.
We are planning on a 6 week tour, starting in LA (with 2 or 3 Disney days), then south to San Diego, from there to Palm Springs and Las Vegas. Then up to the wine country and down Highway 1 to LA again, where we want to finish off our trip with another 5 nights at DL.

So I took a couple notes, the Lilly Belle, the tour, Fantasmic viewing ...... thanks for all the hints. They will come in SO handy when we finally return to CA.
Oh wow Karin - what an amazing trip you have planned!
I really recommend the 'Walk In Walt's Footsteps Tour' as well
And don't forget you can get a DVC discount on the tours
Old 05-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #45
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Fantasmic! in DLR is soooo much better than in WDW! And I loved the reserved seating. We haven't seen the show in WDW in years but I am trying to make a point of seeing it this year (course I said that last year, too!).
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: