Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Disney Chooses EA to Develop/Publish Star Wars Games

Ugh ...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-and-...-games-6407982

Not very happy with the decision. While it's promising that developers like DICE and Visceral are confirmed to be working on Star Wars titles, EA and thier sweatshop developer tactics, horrible micro-transaction / download content models, and crazy Origin account and online requirements are slowly destroying the harcore gaming landscape.

On the plus side, Star Wars Battlefront 3 running on next gen platforms may make it worth all the frustrations ...

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
rteetz
DIS Veteran

I agree I don't like this decision. EA just doesn't seem like a fit for Star Wars but who knows it could end up being good. I really don't think so but it could happen.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
pork
Earning My Ears

I'm not a fan of the EA decision myself but Star Wars games in general have been lackluster lately. At this point ill take anything that gets me closer to battlefront 3.
pork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Toddgabweg
Earning My Ears

I am not an EA fan, but will give them a chance. I am looking forward to the PS4 and the next xbox (Xbox Fusion <- rumor).
Toddgabweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
ChoppityChops
Mouseketeer

I'm very good friends with a developer who gets subcontract work on a lot of EA contracts. While EA itself is a giant, this gets content into the hands of myriad independent/smaller studios to do work, much of which is sourced in the USA, and helps grow the micro-studios portfolios through work on major titles. To me, that's a great thing EA does do, despite their megalith status in the industry.

And I agree with OP that the Origin acct stuff is all incredibly irritating, (as a gamer who goes waaaay back to Spectre and forward through the many itterations of online/LAN gaming)... That said, I also agree that content-wise, this can be nothing but good. Could you imagine BFront 3 on DICE? That's just sick!!! haha
ChoppityChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I hope it has a better launch than SimCity.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
Mrs. Bob Loblaw
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post
Ugh ...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-and-...-games-6407982

Not very happy with the decision. While it's promising that developers like DICE and Visceral are confirmed to be working on Star Wars titles, EA and thier sweatshop developer tactics, horrible micro-transaction / download content models, and crazy Origin account and online requirements are slowly destroying the harcore gaming landscape.

On the plus side, Star Wars Battlefront 3 running on next gen platforms may make it worth all the frustrations ...
I thought Star Wars Battlefront 3 was in development by Lucas Arts and is therefore cancelled?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
I hope it has a better launch than SimCity.
I'd say that's a sure bet.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report DOA
Twin Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Bob Loblaw View Post
I thought Star Wars Battlefront 3 was in development by Lucas Arts and is therefore cancelled?
DICE has been the developer for the Battlefield games for years, most recently showing off Battlefield 4 running on the Frostbite 3 engine. With EA confirming DICE is working on a Star Wars game, my guess is that it's the latest in the Star Wars Battlefront series. It may be built from the ground up on Frostbite 3, and it may not be called Star Wars Battlefront 3, but I figure it's gotta be a Star Wars style Battlefield 'clone'.

With Visceral's Dead Space background, I'm wondering if Star Wars 1313 will be resurrected as well. Maybe not the same plot, but still a 3rd person action/adventure game ... sort of Uncharted/Tomb Raider meets Star Wars. Although I'd love to see a single player open world sandbox game set in the Star Wars universe simlar to games like Just Cause 2.

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
Faldred
DIS Veteran

I know it's in vogue to bash EA, but in reality, they're the publisher/distributor, not the developer, of... well, pretty much everything that they sell. All of the actual game development is done by subsidiaries (some wholly owned) and contract jobs. As such, the quality is going to vary, sometimes by a lot, based on who's actually developing it.

March 2009: Port Orleans Riverside ( Trip Report -- Dining Report ) -- May 2006: Vacation Village timeshare -- May 2002: Orange Lake timeshare
Faldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
pork
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faldred View Post
I know it's in vogue to bash EA, but in reality, they're the publisher/distributor, not the developer, of... well, pretty much everything that they sell. All of the actual game development is done by subsidiaries (some wholly owned) and contract jobs. As such, the quality is going to vary, sometimes by a lot, based on who's actually developing it.
I wouldn't say quality of games is the main reason EA takes heat from the gaming community. It's really the business practices and policies they use.
pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: