Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #16
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduringWone View Post
I was wondering about this myself. We are going to Universal in Dec on the 9th, 10th, 11th and SeaWorld on the 12th and 13th and Busch Gardens on the 14th. We have hotel points so our hotel stay for the length--8th to the 15th would be FREE.

When we went in 2006 the second week of December, we walked on rides including Spiderman (which was the only super cool ride we rode, we are NOT rollercoaster people), so I was thinking we did not need to stay on property. I also find it ridiculous to pay 18 to self park and to pay for internet.

But our daughter is a huge HP fan and wants immerse herself in that portion of the park.

Is it really necessary to stay on-site to have an enjoyable time? It is 225 plus tax per night at the Polynesian looking hotel plus tax and internet daily and parking daily...just for a place to sleep and get into a park early? I don't mind that if I am going to actually enjoy the hotel, but we do Disney parks from first thing in the morning until pretty late....we only sleep and shower at the hotel.

But it is only for three days and she is totally worth it and we are getting older, lol.

Thanks in advance.
The parks are dead during that time. Even though it is more enjoyable being onsite, you won't have any lines to worry about. With an ap, rooms are probably about $170 at the RPR at that time. You might want to look at getting one.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #17
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

you should be able to enter into parry hotter around 9ish if you are in the entrance line early.

onsite guests will already be in that section of the park but it won't be full.

it can become crowded by 11, depending on the dates.

your trip to the darkside shouldn't encounter hugh crowds at all.
early december doesn't have crowds.

staying onsite has its conveniences.
no commute time needed to plan for.
no need to carry many things into the park for your day there.

for those that stay onsite at the motherland, you will find peeps that want to be onsite for the conveniences of not having to travel from offsite.

staying offsite at disney means you have to get up early, get ready for the day and pack what you need for that time period, drive to the parks, then tram it to the park gate.

same set up for the darkside hotels.

staying onsite at any resort makes your vacation there go smoother.
it gives you more park time than commuting and organizing the event when you stay offsite.

when i am at disney, i stay at disney.
when i am at UOR, i stay at UOR.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
EnduringWone
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
you should be able to enter into parry hotter around 9ish if you are in the entrance line early.

onsite guests will already be in that section of the park but it won't be full.

it can become crowded by 11, depending on the dates.

your trip to the darkside shouldn't encounter hugh crowds at all.
early december doesn't have crowds.

staying onsite has its conveniences.
no commute time needed to plan for.
no need to carry many things into the park for your day there.

for those that stay onsite at the motherland, you will find peeps that want to be onsite for the conveniences of not having to travel from offsite.

staying offsite at disney means you have to get up early, get ready for the day and pack what you need for that time period, drive to the parks, then tram it to the park gate.

same set up for the darkside hotels.

staying onsite at any resort makes your vacation there go smoother.
it gives you more park time than commuting and organizing the event when you stay offsite.

when i am at disney, i stay at disney.
when i am at UOR, i stay at UOR.
But a stay at a value Disney resort is a hundred dollars less and free parking and I think wifi.

Thank you for your advice and insight. I guess a three day stay will not break the budget and we have to pay for parking whether we stay on-site or off.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #19
EnduringWone
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
The parks are dead during that time. Even though it is more enjoyable being onsite, you won't have any lines to worry about. With an ap, rooms are probably about $170 at the RPR at that time. You might want to look at getting one.
We won't be buying APs. We live in South Carolina, the Upstate.

We have never stayed on-site, so why not for three days, right?

Did I mention the free hotel we would be staying at also has free hot breakfast?

So how nice is the Polynesian style hotel at Universal?

Off to look at the hotel thread.

Thank you!!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #20
macraven
Proud Redhead
Iím a Universal Homie

Quote:
But a stay at a value Disney resort is a hundred dollars less and free parking and I think wifi.

Thank you for your advice and insight. I guess a three day stay will not break the budget and we have to pay for parking whether we stay on-site or off.
you are correct, that is true.
my rate at the motherland value resort is $127 plus tax on the weekend nights. (fall trip)
if staying onsite at rph for 5 nights or more with stay more save more general promotion rate, is $177 plus tax.

depending on the dates you are checking out room rates, could flexuate.
weekdays are cheaper than weekends.

one is looking at $50 more per night at the darkside then.
if you have a car, that is another $18 to cover per night.

my original point was not the money but the convenience for staying onsite.
no down time for commuting, or having to allow extra time for getting into the park.

if a person's priorities are to save money, then offsite dwellings are best.

i know it hurts to pay for a hotel room and not use it for a few nights in order to book nights at an onsite hotel.

maybe you would consider staying one night only onsite and the next two nights offsite.

that way you could have the hotel perks of early entry to ioa and unlimited usage of the express lines for two full days.

the third day, you would not have the hotel benefits.

when you stay onsite, you receive the hotel perks for the day you check in and for the day you check out.

for a one night stay, you receive two days of perks.
you come out ahead by saving some hotel money and still have park perks.

you could move into the offsite hotel once you are done with the parks on day 2.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #21
EnduringWone
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
you are correct, that is true.
my rate at the motherland value resort is $127 plus tax on the weekend nights. (fall trip)
if staying onsite at rph for 5 nights or more with stay more save more general promotion rate, is $177 plus tax.

depending on the dates you are checking out room rates, could flexuate.
weekdays are cheaper than weekends.

one is looking at $50 more per night at the darkside then.
if you have a car, that is another $18 to cover per night.

my original point was not the money but the convenience for staying onsite.
no down time for commuting, or having to allow extra time for getting into the park.

if a person's priorities are to save money, then offsite dwellings are best.

i know it hurts to pay for a hotel room and not use it for a few nights in order to book nights at an onsite hotel.

maybe you would consider staying one night only onsite and the next two nights offsite.

that way you could have the hotel perks of early entry to ioa and unlimited usage of the express lines for two full days.

the third day, you would not have the hotel benefits.

when you stay onsite, you receive the hotel perks for the day you check in and for the day you check out.

for a one night stay, you receive two days of perks.
you come out ahead by saving some hotel money and still have park perks.

you could move into the offsite hotel once you are done with the parks on day 2.

I have been thinking of that.

We want three days at Universal, so I could book for two days and use our free (hotel points) days for the rest of the vacation. I have always wanted to stay on-site at one of the Universal hotels so this would be our chance. We are already saving massively with the rest of the stay being free as far as accommodations, so why not splurge two days? Plus I did not realize that when one stayed on property you were able to get like the equivalent of fast passes right? In addition to getting in earlier? We plan on being at US on a Sunday, Monday and Tuesday but if it would be better to be there on all weekdays we could possibly do Busch Gardens on Sunday.

Thank you again.

Plus, my daughter is special needs and I took into consideration what you wrote on the thread with the woman in the wheelchair.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #22
macraven
Proud Redhead
Iím a Universal Homie

Quote:
I have been thinking of that.

We want three days at Universal, so I could book for two days and use our free (hotel points) days for the rest of the vacation. I have always wanted to stay on-site at one of the Universal hotels so this would be our chance. We are already saving massively with the rest of the stay being free as far as accommodations, so why not splurge two days? Plus I did not realize that when one stayed on property you were able to get like the equivalent of fast passes right? In addition to getting in earlier? We plan on being at US on a Sunday, Monday and Tuesday but if it would be better to be there on all weekdays we could possibly do Busch Gardens on Sunday.

Thank you again.

Plus, my daughter is special needs and I took into consideration what you wrote on the thread with the woman in the wheelchair.
yes, you will be able to use your hotel express pass on all days and check out day from the hotel.

when you check in, each person in your group receives a hotel card key with their name on it.
you take that hotel key to the kiosk in the hotel lobby and use it to make your express pass.
the kiosk instructions are simple and easy to follow.
you put your room key in the machine, have a picture made, and your tyvek express pass comes out.

the express pass can be reissued if you lose them.

the express pass allows you unlimited usage on rides and shows that have express line signage.
you have no restrictions on the amount of times you can use the express lines in the parks.

early entry is also a perk for onsite hotel guests.
you show your room key and use the entrance line into the park that is marked, "hotel guests".
you are allowed to enter one hour prior to the official park opening.

sometimes i go at 7:50, or go later around 8:30 to the park.

many times the TM's get the all clear and guests are allowed in 10 minutes prior to this time period. it varies on the morning.

if a saturday/sunday is a great weather day, it can bring out the locals to the parks.
when that happens, the park can become crowded.
that is why many of us say to avoid the saturday period.
in the summer time, many of us also say sundays will be crowded too.

during the time period you are going, saturday could get crowds depending on the weather.

the week before christmas the parks will have growing crowds up thru NYE.

i have stayed at all 3 of the hotels.
i prefer RPH.
it has a beautiful lobby for one thing.

you can get free wifi in all 3 of the hotel lobbies.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #23
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
We won't be buying APs. We live in South Carolina, the Upstate.

We have never stayed on-site, so why not for three days, right?

Did I mention the free hotel we would be staying at also has free hot breakfast?

So how nice is the Polynesian style hotel at Universal?

Off to look at the hotel thread.

Thank you!!
We live in Canada and have APs because it saves us money. If the amount of money you will save in hotel and food and merchandise discounts is higher than the amount you will pay for the difference in price between your normal tickets and the annual pass, then it is just good value to get the annual pass. You can often save $100/night with an ap in hotel discounts plus 10% off food and merchandise. Sometimes, even for a one night it stay can be worth it.

It is always something to check into because aps are so cheap at Universal compared to Disney.

The unlimited express pass that you get at Universal is different than what you get at Disney. There are no return times and you can use them as often as you like. The guest assistant pass may get you the same experience if the lines are low.

The setup at Universal is similar to the setup at Disneyland with 3 luxury hotels onsite and then many value hotels in close proximity offsite.

Last edited by damo; 05-07-2013 at 08:05 AM.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: