Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Fsmith
Earning My Ears

Do we NEED to stay on sight?

Hi All,

We will be at IOA/US May 11-14. Do we need to stay at one of the Universal hotels or will we be fine that time of year staying somewhere else? Thanks. This is a last minute trip, so I am scrammbling.
Fsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

I think you would be OK staying off site...that's not a very busy time. Onsite perks are nice but unless its a very busy time, you could stay offsite w/o too many problems.

I'm going to move this to the Resorts board for more responses.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

You never NEED to stay onsite. However, I find it much more enjoyable staying onsite. There is no time lost to transportation and long stand by lines.

Fridays in May can be insane with school groups.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

You don't need to ,but it is more than worth it.Iwon't go at anytime of year without staying onsite..I am spoiled now
Old 04-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

We are going to be in Orlando May 11-15. We are going to Universal the 12th & 13th, I was also on the fence about staying onsite & ended up breaking down & booking RPR for the night of the 12th. I did it because I wanted it to be a more relaxed theme park trip (about as relaxed as you can get for a theme park) & not have to worry about having a touring plan. This is our first time to Universal & a pretty short trip for us so I just want to make sure we are able to do everything without stressing about it. Plus, my 10 year old is a HUGE Harry Potter fan so I really wanted her to be able to enjoy that part. Granted, we are staying at 3 different hotels for 4 nights, but I think it will be worth it. I think I did pretty good price wise, the entire trip for lodging is only $450 for 4 nights. Either way I think we would have been fine, I just didn't want to deal with lines & plans. Good luck.

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2009(June)- Disney. Port Orleans French Quarter.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2011(June)-Quality Suites LBV. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Wonderworks.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmyann View Post
We are going to be in Orlando May 11-15. We are going to Universal the 12th & 13th, I was also on the fence about staying onsite & ended up breaking down & booking RPR for the night of the 12th. I did it because I wanted it to be a more relaxed theme park trip (about as relaxed as you can get for a theme park) & not have to worry about having a touring plan. This is our first time to Universal & a pretty short trip for us so I just want to make sure we are able to do everything without stressing about it. Plus, my 10 year old is a HUGE Harry Potter fan so I really wanted her to be able to enjoy that part. Granted, we are staying at 3 different hotels for 4 nights, but I think it will be worth it. I think I did pretty good price wise, the entire trip for lodging is only $450 for 4 nights. Either way I think we would have been fine, I just didn't want to deal with lines & plans. Good luck.
You'll be there the same time as us. I currently have a one bedroom over at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for May 10th-20th, but the more I thought about the front of the line perk, having a place to go back and rest during the day, and not wanting to drive back and forth from WDW to Universal for three days, the better staying onsite for the Universal part of our trip sounded. Due to booking Bonnet Creek through a third party, I couldn't change the BC ressie without penalties, but staying onsite at Universal is worth it enough for us, that we are still staying at RPR May 12th-14th, and the condo over at BC will just sit empty those two nights/three days. We love staying onsite and it's worth the extra expense to us. We chose to stay in the middle of the trip, because those were nights the room was cheaper with the AP discount.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Bluer101
Waiting till vacation comes!

It's not about needing to stay onsite but wanting to.

How valuable is your time? Do you want complete relaxation?

We will never stay offsite no matter the time of year, home away from home.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i always stay on site.

it makes it a total vacation for me.

totally relaxing with not having to rush anywhere.
hotel perks gives you more time in the park to do things you want to do.

for me, my vacation is more than just doing the parks for the rides.
it is the complete immersion of the darkside experience by staying on site.

it gives me so much flexibility on how i spend my days.
i do the parks, pools, hotel hop, city walk, cinema, eateries.

everything is a short walk away from the hotel in some cases.

if you only plan on 2 park days, staying onsite one night will be a benefit for you.
people are usually tired at the end of a park day.
you don't have to face any traffic congestion returning back to an offsite hotel.
by staying onsite, you can cover both parks without losing commuting time.
you can wake up, get dressed and be at the parks at opening without hassle and stress getting the family in gear.

everyone has priorities.
many feel staying on site is worth the money.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #9
saskdw
DIS Veteran

What he said!!
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
schumigirl
I`ve bought one of those for this year....it`s in fuscia pink though......You`ll be able to see me from the air
It`s a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post

for me, my vacation is more than just doing the parks for the rides.
it is the complete immersion of the darkside experience by staying on site.

So true.

We never want to come home after our stay at RPR.

SEPT 2007 2 WEEKS BUENA VISTA PALACE & HHN
SEPT 2008 2 WEEKS POFQ &HHN
AUG 2009 2 WEEKS RPR
OCT 2010 2 WEEKS RPR & HHN
AUG 2011 2 WEEKS RPR
JULY 2012 17 NIGHTS RPR
APRIL 2013 WEEK IN NEW YORK
SEPT 2013...17 NIGHTS RPR &HHN
MAY 2014.....2 WEEKS IN NEW YORK
SEPTEMBER 2014....18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
SEPTEMBER/OCT 2015 18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
schumigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
glocon
DIS Veteran

You don't NEED to, but it makes for a much different trip if you do. There is the immersion in the UO experience, the high quality deluxe resorts, and the unlimited ep.

For our family, we thought that the HRH was every bit as deluxe as AKL and more so than the Beach Club. The perks of staying onsite are greater at UO than at WDW with that unlimited express pass. Just imagine going to a theme park that size and not having to wait in those looooooong lines all day. A VERY different theme park day.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
madelyn
DIS Veteran

We have only spent 1 night on-site (HRH) and that was 1 night I got (while already having 7 nights at a Marriott condo) mainly for the Express pass for 2 days. I hope we can afford to stay on-site again someday. What is nice about the Universal parks and hotels (compared to Disney on-site) is that it is so quick and easy it is to walk from park to park and to back to the on-site hotels. Yes, you can walk to Magic Kingdom from the Contemporary and you can walk to Hollywood Studios and Epcot from the Boardwalk area resorts but we never made it back in the middle of our park day to take a break like we did at our HRH stay. Yes, we had club level access so maybe that had something to do with it.
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
Bluer101
Waiting till vacation comes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madelyn View Post
We have only spent 1 night on-site (HRH) and that was 1 night I got (while already having 7 nights at a Marriott condo) mainly for the Express pass for 2 days. I hope we can afford to stay on-site again someday. What is nice about the Universal parks and hotels (compared to Disney on-site) is that it is so quick and easy it is to walk from park to park and to back to the on-site hotels. Yes, you can walk to Magic Kingdom from the Contemporary and you can walk to Hollywood Studios and Epcot from the Boardwalk area resorts but we never made it back in the middle of our park day to take a break like we did at our HRH stay. Yes, we had club level access so maybe that had something to do with it.

Club has nothing to do with it. We sometimes go back to our room a few times a day while staying at RPR. It's too easy and fast to walk or ride the boat back.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
CyndiLooWho
DIS Veteran

Bonnet Creek is an easy, easy drive to USO/IOA. We stayed there last summer and came into Universal 3 days (Legoland 2 days). With me, mom and 2 boys, we wanted the 2 bedroom condo and resort amenities, and Mom and Dad own at Wyndham, so it was a no-brainer for us. the resort is awesome, and my kids were psyched to go back (we stayed there several years ago for a WDW trip).
CyndiLooWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
EnduringWone
Mouseketeer

I was wondering about this myself. We are going to Universal in Dec on the 9th, 10th, 11th and SeaWorld on the 12th and 13th and Busch Gardens on the 14th. We have hotel points so our hotel stay for the length--8th to the 15th would be FREE.

When we went in 2006 the second week of December, we walked on rides including Spiderman (which was the only super cool ride we rode, we are NOT rollercoaster people), so I was thinking we did not need to stay on property. I also find it ridiculous to pay 18 to self park and to pay for internet.

But our daughter is a huge HP fan and wants immerse herself in that portion of the park.

Is it really necessary to stay on-site to have an enjoyable time? It is 225 plus tax per night at the Polynesian looking hotel plus tax and internet daily and parking daily...just for a place to sleep and get into a park early? I don't mind that if I am going to actually enjoy the hotel, but we do Disney parks from first thing in the morning until pretty late....we only sleep and shower at the hotel.

But it is only for three days and she is totally worth it and we are getting older, lol.

Thanks in advance.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: