Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #31
cathug10
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KisanMcG View Post
I am an adult with Aspergers who visits the parks frequently.

I've found that it's helpful for me to rent an ECV so that I have a little bit of a "safe space" to prevent people from standing too close or bumping into me. This is usually helpful, especially in some lines, but can be a nightmare for parades. It has been my experience that it feels like parades are the perfect excuse for some rude guests to have their children crowd in front of wheelchairs and ECVs for a better view, but it means that there are then children standing on my legs. We tend to avoid parades because of things like this, though if there is a second later parade in the Magic Kingdom it's usually tolerable in terms of crowd level because most people leave after Wishes. Over the years I've gotten used to Wishes, though I still find Fantasmic and Illuminations to be too loud and bright and close to tolerate. I will often duck into a store and put on noise-canceling headphones during the show.

It does get harder to move through crowds at the Magic Kingdom. Epcot is more open, but can get bad at night when people are attempting to find spots to watch Illuminations. Hollywood Studios does have a lot of loud, crowded areas, but it also has some of the more tranquil spots as well. Animal Kingdom is my favorite park, as much of it is open and peaceful. The one area that tends to bottleneck is the path between Asia and Africa. There is a beautiful quiet path that runs above the main path that is rarely traveled.

I think that staying on property would be a HUGE benefit. My favorite resort is Port Orleans French Quarter, as it is small and quiet. Having access to Extra Magic Hours has been very helpful. We find that the later evenings are preferable to rope drop because it is cooler and less crowded, but have used travel plans for morning trips and done well.

On a hot day, we will often take breaks by riding the monorail back and forth between the TTC and Epcot. It's very cool and peaceful. Prior to trying each new thing, we watch a video on YouTube of each show or attraction so that I know what to expect - I can't stand surprises

Above all else, relax. A little bit of preparation goes a long way, and I am sure it will be a good trip.
Thank you that's exactly what I wanted.
I've been obsessed with watching disney videos so I'll know what to expect.
Also we weren't planning on going to parades.
cathug10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #32
Mommaof3
I have a wet noodle and I'm not afraid to use it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathug10 View Post
Thank you that's exactly what I wanted.
I've been obsessed with watching disney videos so I'll know what to expect.
Also we weren't planning on going to parades.
Just wanted to encourage you just a bit. I have an adult daughter with Asperger's and was reading posts looking for advice surrounding our next trip to Disney, too.
A touring plan for her is VERY important. She and I discuss before the trip what her expectations are. We are very specific as to what she is expecting to happen as it really needs to happen that way for her. If it can't happen that way, then I can prepare her for that.
I would encourage staying on site if possible. Transportation is helpful and easier to get back to your hotel at anytime.
Staying on property also allows for early entry into the park and this touring time is without big crowds. Very helpful for us. Usually counter service works better for us, but she can do table service if se do an early breakfast, lunch or dinner slot. Early usually means less crowded.

One thing that helps my daughter when we are standing in lines is the order we stand in. We are a family of 5. So we go 2, my daughter, then the other 2. That way she is not next to a stranger. It reduces her stress thus she tolerates the line better.

Watch as many videos about Disney as possible. It will help you know what to expect and plus it is fun!

On a personal note, I really just encourage you. I know it is hard for my daughter. But you can learn to do most anything. It just takes time and maybe a little different path. Just keep trying. Our daughter got her driving license this past Dec. It took 10, yes 10, years of practice. She only drives in our small town at 30 mph, but she drives! It makes her fell 10 feet tall! So hang in there!

It is great that your Mom is so helpful and understanding. I really encourage you to start learning all you can about yourself! As you do learn what your triggers are, then you can learn to avoid them. You can also learn how to help yourself to cope for when your Mom is not there to help you. This will help you to become more independent. Remember that it is a journey, not an automatic happening. Just keep working at it and it will slowly happen for you! And remember that everyone has ups and downs and challenges. We all have something to work on.

I really hope you have a fun trip!
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #33
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Not time to post much, but my niece with Asperger's did take longer to get a driver's license and to decide what she wanted to do in life.
Unknowns stressed her out.
She does have a Bachelor degree in Science and one in Nursing, plus a Master's in Nursing. She has a great job that combines her Nursing skills with science and computers.
It may take more time, but things will work out

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #34
scrappylove
Earning My Ears

Hi Cathug10! Good for you for being so proactive about your trip and posting your questions here! I am mostly a lurker but your thread has brought me out from the shadows.

I have a 25 year old son who has some of the same trigger points as you. We went to DW two years ago and had some good days and some bad days. The bad days were at the beginning of the trip, until we learned what worked for him.

We stayed at a condo off site and rented a car. The crowds at the public transportation for the Disney hotels are too overwhelming for him and walking the quiet, though admittedly hot, parking lots to the car was much more calming to him. He's also always considered a car a safe zone so it was nice to know he had a car to go back to. And the condo was a safe place away from the noise and rudeness.

We did go early in the morning to avoid crowds and he also got a GAC. He didn't need it all the time but it was good to have it when he did.

We had a plan, really a theme, going into each park and stayed there as long as he wanted. We only did extras if he was okay with them. (For example, Magic Kingdom: Peter Pan and Pirates of the Carribbean, Hollywood Studios: Star Wars, Animal Kingdom: Lion King)

His favorite park was surprisingly Epcot World Showcase because it was quieter and spread out so never seemed to be crowded and overwhelming. Plus he likes to shop and eat, and it was the perfect place for that! We spent a whole day there midweek, which was a nice break from all the rides and hubbub of the other parks.

One additional place he loved for a quiet spot was the rose garden at Magic Kingdom, which is at the center of the park and allows a peaceful place to watch the rest of the park from a distance.

I hope these few tips help you with your planning! We did not do a lot of the big rides on this last trip but are planning on fixing that this December with a trip to both DW and Universal. Good luck on your trip and have a great time!
scrappylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #35
KelzyWolf
Earning My Ears

I'm Glad This Is Here...

I'm planning my first trip to Disney for October. I'm going with my fiancé, who is Aspie, but has been to the parks before (granted, it was 20 years ago). It's very difficult to find tips on bringing Autistic adults to the parks, so I'm glad this is here. He knows his triggers and we're planning around it- we may try to get a GAC, but we are going to bring him earplugs, using touring plans and having an itinerary (I have an ADHD diagnosis, and have made no promises about how I will act when let loose in Disney for the first time- therefore I'm writing everything down and giving it to him to keep track of). His mom said he loved it as a kid, though, and we're going in early October so crowds should be down... I'm also bribing him with Epcot Food & Wine... Thanks to everyone who has posted in this forum!

KelzyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #36
KisanMcG
The Other Wendy-Lady

Epcot can get very crowded for Food and Wine, especially around the different booths and kiosks. Something that we do every year to try and help with that is to first read the F&W articles on disneyfoodblog.com in the days leading up to the trip to pick out the "must-try" items and familiarize ourselves with the layout of the booth and the look of the food. Then we section off the park and make a game out of it. For example - We choose the booths between Canada and England (and then from France to Japan, and so on and so on, but one at a time). We ask at the first booth for a box or a container to carry the small plates, and just beeline from booth to booth till we meet the objective... and then we take them out of the park and have a nice picnic on a totally quiet bench just on the outside of the International Gateway entrance where there is shade and a little garden. It means a little more stress in the short term but the "game" aspect helps a bit and then the downtime is very pleasant. Our stopping picnic point on the other side of the park is near the tea cart in China, which is often also empty. If it gets to be evening my family will often have me save space for Illuminations for them while they run around for different snacks or treats, and then they arrive in time for the show while I take the opportunity to head into a store or even over to the Beach Club to watch the boats cross a little ways away from all the bright lights and booms
KisanMcG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adult, austim, first time visit

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: