Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
GoofyJr
Meeting the Mouse

Arrow Mobility Issues - Herniated Disc

This is a late review but I wanted to share my experience when I went to WDW in May 2011. I am more than willing to help anyone with advice.

Landed in Fort Myers. Cheap fare on then Continental.
Went to Orlando. Long drive. Speed limits fluctuate.

Stayed at the Golden Link Motel
4914 West Irlo Bronson HWY 192, Kissimmee, FL 34746
Budget hotel - 4 stars, clean and simple

Arrived at motel after a three hour ride. Welcoming customer service yet they did not recognize me by name. After identifying myself by the type reservation made, everything went smoothly. The room was clean and comforting. Although the furniture is outdated, it served it’s purpose well. Of concern were the chairs in the room. They were a bit wobbly. To be truthful, I am not built like Tinkerbell but most of us are not. It would be good that the management update the furniture where needed. We had the handicap room 3xx – non-smoking/king. While it offered an updated toilet – the shower was not a toll in, just a tub and shower with bars. A wheelchair may find a tight squeeze in some places.

The refrigerator and microwave were in good working order. Remember to plug in the refrigerator as soon as you arrive. It appears as if they disconnect to save electricity. Did not do breakfast – yet I did notice that the breakfast of choice are the “Little Debbie” snack cakes and that is all. Did not have time to check out the back toward the lake but appeared to be a nice play area for kids, etc. the pool was being repainted, resurfaced at the time we were there, it was closed.

Being that this motel sits east approximately 4 miles east of the WDW entrance, it does not appear that it is ever over crowded. It’s location is great because it sits across the street from Publix, a supermarket, not necessarily one that’s good on savings and just 2 miles north on Rt. 535, Vineland Rd, is Walmart. Overall it was quiet and I was satisfied. If you going to the amusement parks all day and just need a place to sleep and swim - I would recommend. I would equate this with a Holiday Inn as was stated in an earlier review, it is utilitarian. If you wanted a bit more luxury, were on a honeymoon of sorts, wanted romance, I’d go elsewhere. Come and enjoy.

Scooter rental -
APPLE SCOOTERS
http://applescooter.com/
12539 S. Apopka Vineland Rd, Orlando FL 32836.
ECV provider
321-726-6837
They delivered the scooter to the motel and it worked perfectly.

WDW staff were patient and accommodating to my needs.
Be sure to get the disabled card from the guest relations staff at the park you are visiting. At the time, I did not need proof of disability from my doctor but I still carried it just in case.
The helped with my visit immensely. Please note that I can stand for approx. 5 minutes but then I cannot walk at all. This happened throughout the days I was there. Most persons have a problem seeing someone in a wheelchair or scooter walking on their own and this is understandable.
Its just that I do need to stand and exercise through the course of the day. This did not mean that I do not have mobility issues - it just meant that i needed to exercise.
Some rides enabled me to get in the front of the line whereas others, we waited in line where the scooter could line up. It was 50/50 in the parks. I did not mind waiting when I had to.

That's all for now. I am more than willing to answer anyone's questions.

Tags
herniated disc mobility

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: