Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
mm126
Mouseketeer

Cheerleading competition December 2013

So we booked our trip and find out cheerleading competition will still be taking place during 2 of our 4 days. Any tips on how to make the best of what I have heard is a very busy time. We are staying at POR - I believe the teams stay at the Pop resorts.
mm126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Pop Warner is Dec 6-14. Is that the one you are referring to? Pop Warner are town's football and cheerleading teams.

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events...er-pop-warner/

Pop Warner is the competition that I read on the boards about having a bad reputation. Please don't associate this behavior with All-Star Cheeleaders, which is a higher-level style/sport of cheering.

I have no tips since you are already staying at a different hotel. There really isn't anything else you can do to prepare for particular crowds in the park.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
bleeps
DIS Veteran

We have been to WDW several times during that Pop Warner/Cheerleading week (but stayed at deluxe resorts). The groups themselves do not have a big impact on park crowds; generally speaking, this is one of the least crowded times of the year.

The football kids have had, in our experience, absolutely no impact on our visits.

The cheerleaders, however, can be extremely annoying as they like to travel in packs and scream cheers at the top of their lungs (while walking through parks, while waiting in attraction lines, while riding attractions). Their organization/chaperones would go a long way toward improving their reputation (and teaching them basic manners) but instructing them NOT to do this. I appreciate that there are there to compete and to have fun in the parks, but the cheering and the park touring are two different things.

Still, with that said, they don't prevent us from wanting to travel at that time of year.

WDW once a year since 2003!
bleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

They stay at the moderates too. Apparently their main moderate this year is CBR, but you could get overflow at POR.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
2009CAN
Mouseketeer

We stayed in a deluxe when they were there and didn't see any of them at our resort. We didn't really see them around the parks but a few times and there seemed to be no issues with the group being there and lines.
2009CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009CAN View Post
We stayed in a deluxe when they were there and didn't see any of them at our resort. We didn't really see them around the parks but a few times and there seemed to be no issues with the group being there and lines.
If they stay at deluxe, usually it is a family who has the resources to upgrade or has been to Disney before and chooses to do so.

There is usually one moderate and one value with an overflow. The year, if you check CBR, they have limited availablity, while POR has availability in every category.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

We had a very small group of them at the BC during one of our trips. They were with their moms and perfectly behaved. But we usually see them only in the parks. They usually don't bother us except for the one time a group sat behind us and talked and laughed loudly through the first half of the Pirates ride. You mostly see them in the evenings at MK.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
belle912
Mouseketeer

No problems

I have been to the parks when there are Dance National competitions going on and other than being annoying at the hotel with so many "extra" kids running around we haven't found it to be any busier at any of the parks. Most of the time they are too busy with practice and competing. We really only saw them late at night and in the MK and EC.
belle912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
jadelane1
Mouseketeer

We were there last February when the cheerleaders were there and they were extremely annoying, sorry to say. If I had to hear them whine one more time about how they got up so early and it wasn't fair that they had to waste so much time in lines. I would get in the parks at the earliest time you can, it wasn't too bad until around lunch time. Also I would not eat quick service at the normal meal times as they are the most crowded. Good luck and hopefully there are less of them in December!
jadelane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
If they stay at deluxe, usually it is a family who has the resources to upgrade or has been to Disney before and chooses to do so.

There is usually one moderate and one value with an overflow. The year, if you check CBR, they have limited availablity, while POR has availability in every category.
I think the competitors have to stay in the team hotel.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB

I think the competitors have to stay in the team hotel.
That is true, but I know one year I was at POR, people were keeping in touch with extended family staying in the deluxes. It was especially crowded that year from what CM's had to say.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeps View Post
The cheerleaders, however, can be extremely annoying as they like to travel in packs and scream cheers at the top of their lungs (while walking through parks, while waiting in attraction lines, while riding attractions). Their organization/chaperones would go a long way toward improving their reputation (and teaching them basic manners) but instructing them NOT to do this. I appreciate that there are there to compete and to have fun in the parks, but the cheering and the park touring are two different things.

Still, with that said, they don't prevent us from wanting to travel at that time of year.
Dh, I and our daughter had the misfortune of being at POR during one of the cheerleading competitions. Those kids cheered everywhere there was an inch of ground. They were all over the grassy areas of the mansion practicing. Cheering in the food court, the lobby, the store and of course the boats & the buses. It was absolutely miserable!! In the parks was bad to as they do travel in packs & don't care who they run over or through. No one said anything to them. Our only good thing was that they were staying in the mansion area & we were in AB. This was many years ago, but we go to Disney frequently and we try to avoid the hotels and parks when they are in attendance for anything. Pop Warner is the absolute worst time.

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #13
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's My Favorite View Post
Dh, I and our daughter had the misfortune of being at POR during one of the cheerleading competitions. Those kids cheered everywhere there was an inch of ground. They were all over the grassy areas of the mansion practicing. Cheering in the food court, the lobby, the store and of course the boats & the buses. It was absolutely miserable!! In the parks was bad to as they do travel in packs & don't care who they run over or through. No one said anything to them. Our only good thing was that they were staying in the mansion area & we were in AB. This was many years ago, but we go to Disney frequently and we try to avoid the hotels and parks when they are in attendance for anything. Pop Warner is the absolute worst time.
I bet we were there the same year; I went a week later to accommodate friends. Never again; I am back to arriving the Saturday after Thanksgiving and then leaving the following Saturday when they take over the resort.

The boys were quite well behaved; it was the cheerleaders and the parents that were the worst.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

I was there last year during the entire Pop Warner week. This was my first trip, so I can't comment on the crowd levels they may create, but I didn't see any cheerleaders or untoward behavior from any rabid packs of girls.

We stayed at the Poly, and I didn't see a single group of teenagers the whole week, at any of the parks or our resort.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
mm126
Mouseketeer

Happy to say we upgraded to deluxe! Thank you for your responses.
mm126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: