Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #31
irish dancer
DIS Veteran

The Sea World plans look great, especially that new Antarctica section!

I'm with you on the Friday, it would be hard for me to just sit by the pool knowing that I could be exploring/experiencing Sea World but my DH is a lot like Ed and he'd want to relax and not push it too.
irish dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #32
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Hi I am here.
Driving could be fun. Good idea breaking it up.
Sea World I think is on our agenda also. Can’t wait to hear about it first from you.
Kidani well I will move on. LOL. Just not a fan.
I am with him, I love road trips.
I am sure the drive will be fine. Good book choice. I am going to read it in Aruba in 2 weeks.
That Antarctica exhibit looks so fun.
It all looks great. Can’t wait to hear more.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #33
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Oh, the Antarctica exhibit looks really neat! I'll have to mention that to my daughter (who will be visiting there in October). I do think that looks like a great way to cool off in the heat of an Orlando summer. Smart thinking on SeaWorld's part. And really, who can resist penguins??
Your plans are looking so fun. I can't wait to read about your trip when it finally arrives!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #34
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post
In July, that looks like the perfect place to be!
It sure does!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish dancer View Post
The Sea World plans look great, especially that new Antarctica section!

I'm with you on the Friday, it would be hard for me to just sit by the pool knowing that I could be exploring/experiencing Sea World but my DH is a lot like Ed and he'd want to relax and not push it too.

It will all depend on what time we arrive and how we feel. I could always offer to take the kids over myself and let him stay in the room and sleep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Hi I am here.
Driving could be fun. Good idea breaking it up.
Sea World I think is on our agenda also. Can’t wait to hear about it first from you.
Kidani well I will move on. LOL. Just not a fan.
I am with him, I love road trips.
I am sure the drive will be fine. Good book choice. I am going to read it in Aruba in 2 weeks.
That Antarctica exhibit looks so fun.
It all looks great. Can’t wait to hear more.

Hi Scott!

The kids adore the pool and water play area at Kidani and, of course, waking up to giraffe and zebras outside the window!

I do agree that the resort is quite large and could really use a counter service restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimom View Post
Oh, the Antarctica exhibit looks really neat! I'll have to mention that to my daughter (who will be visiting there in October). I do think that looks like a great way to cool off in the heat of an Orlando summer. Smart thinking on SeaWorld's part. And really, who can resist penguins??
Your plans are looking so fun. I can't wait to read about your trip when it finally arrives!

I can't believe we're going NEXT MONTH! I'd better get on the ball with this PTR...

Kathy
KathyRN137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #35
KathyRN137

Day Two: Sea and Land

On to the plans for our first full day in Orlando!

After a buffet breakfast at Doubletree we’ll check out of the hotel, toss our stuff in the car and head over to SeaWorld. I read on the boards that you can add on a second day for $10, but since Doubletree is a SeaWorld partner hotel I’m sure I can take care of that at the concierge desk.

My goal is to be there at park opening (9am) or sooner if they are offering
early entry to resort guests that day. The first thing I plan to do is sign up for one of the feed-the-dolphins sessions, which have a limited number of guests permitted and seem to fill up quickly.

Seaworldparks.com

As mentioned previously, we are going to be all about the exhibits here so our touring should be easy, even though it will be Saturday. No one is really interested in riding the coasters, with perhaps one exception: Journey to Atlantis, which looks like a zippier version of Splash Mountain. It may be just right for our family of "medium" thrill-seekers!

Perfectfloridavillas.com

Hopefully we’ll be able to last in the park until dinner time, but if everyone is starting to wilt by late afternoon we’ll just bag it and zip over to Animal Kingdom Lodge to grab counter service at The Mara before checking into our DVC villa at Kidani Village. I sure wish Kidani would get a counter service restaurant! They have expanded their poolside menu recently, but they stop serving that at 5pm – so we may not make that in time. We will see.

Still tired from the trip, I think we will spend the evening at the resort.

Kidani Village is gorgeous! Here are some pix from the last time we stayed here in 2009:

Lobby

Hallway Rug

Savanna View!

Awesome Pool

My plans are for us to unpack, settle in and then hang around the resort and enjoy the pool that evening. The next morning (Sunday) we have to be at Animal Kingdom bright and early (8:15) for Donald’s Safari Breakfast – a first! Well, it will be our first time dining with Donald at Tusker House, anyway.

But, I will save these plans for the Day Three post…

Thanks for reading!

Kathy
Old 05-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #36
Dreamer & Wisher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And tent camping.
Yep, tent camping.

With two box fans.

Feel free to pray for me.
Way back in May 1980 we tent camped at Fort Wilderness, I will pray for unseasonably cool weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post

It's been so long Nancy -- how are you? How are the kids?

Kathy
The kids are doing well, only 2 weeks and 2 days of school and Ethan will be done with 3rd Grade and Abby will be done with 6th Grade.

Henry is growing up fast. He will be 2 years old in August. He loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and calls Mickey "Ya Ya" I don't know how he came up with that one.

We have an ADR for Donald's Safari Breakfast, we made it for later in the week so we can get an idea how Henry feels about the characters. If he is terrified of them we have time to cancel. We also bought tickets for Hoop Dee Doo Review. I remember going to see that show way back in 1980 and I have been wanting to take the kids to see it. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Your Sea World Plans sound very nice. The penquin exhibit looks really cool.

Planning our next trip...
Dreamer & Wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #37
KathyRN137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer & Wisher View Post
The kids are doing well, only 2 weeks and 2 days of school and Ethan will be done with 3rd Grade and Abby will be done with 6th Grade.
Wow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer & Wisher View Post
Henry is growing up fast. He will be 2 years old in August. He loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and calls Mickey "Ya Ya" I don't know how he came up with that one.
No! Almost 2 already? Where did the time go?

I'm so glad you're going this year!

Kathy
Old 05-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #38
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Your day two plans look nice a relaxing, even with a resort change! I can't wait to see your "view" at AKL. Those savannah view rooms look amazing!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #39
KathyRN137

Day Three: Donald, Animals,Yetis and Bugs!

Sunday, Day Three: Our first FULL day in WDW!

Billy and I have come to an understanding... I hope! We are working on a social story that illlustrates the concept that he can't always choose what we will do and when we will do it! I've decided that in the interest of family peace, however, that he will be allowed to choose the attractions for our morning sessions, with the understanding that the rest of the family will get to put our two cents in when we return to the parks after break.

See: HELPGUIDE.ORG:

Children with autism spectrum disorders are often restricted, rigid, and even obsessive in their behaviors, activities, and interests. Symptoms may include:

Repetitive body movements (hand flapping, rocking, spinning); moving constantly.

Obsessive attachment to unusual objects (rubber bands, keys, light switches).

Preoccupation with a specific topic of interest, often involving numbers or symbols (maps, license plates, sports statistics).

A strong need for sameness, order, and routines (e.g. lines up toys, follows a rigid schedule). Gets upset by change in their routine or environment.

Clumsiness, abnormal posture, or odd ways of moving.

Fascinated by spinning objects, moving pieces, or parts of toys (e.g. spinning the wheels on a race car, instead of playing with the whole car).

As mentioned in the previous post, we will begin our ANIMAL KINGDOM day with a pre-park opening breakfast at Tusker House. *First Ever*

(Note, these pictures are not mine... I googled them!)

There's nothing like a character meal to start a Disney vacation with a bang! Characters: Donald, Daisy, Mickey & Goofy.

From Tusker House we will head directly next door to Kilimanjaro Safaris. Normally we start our AK mornings with Expedition Everest, but normally, we are not visiting in the heat of the summer! We want to see some wildlife before they all retreat to shady spots.

Once our safari has concluded we'll trek on over to Asia to visit Expedition Everest which, traditionally, Billy will want to ride twice.

From here, depending on showtimes, we will head to either Festival of the Lion King first and then It's Tough to be a Bug, or vice-versa:

We will, of course, stop to admire the animal carvings on the Tree of Life:

....and, believe it or not, it will now be time to exit the park and retreat to either our air-conditioned resort or it's lovely pool!

If we are not feeling stuffed from our buffet breakfast we will have lunch at our old standby: Pizzafari. I love the colorful murals inside and it is always easy to find a quieter spot to eat because of the many rooms available.

Next will be evening plans at AK and -- gasp -- date night!!

Thanks for reading!

Kathy

Last edited by KathyRN137; 05-22-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #40
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

I love Tusker House.
The plans for AK look good.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #41
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Sounds like a great plan so far.
Can't wait to hear about your date night.
Sigh. I've never had a date night at Disney.
I'm going to have to talk to my hubs about that....
Old 05-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #42
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Ahh....Animal Kingdom Lodge. My dream resort! We visited in 2010 when we had dinner at Boma and I fell in love!

Date night?? YAY! Good for you! Can't wait to hear all about it!
mommytothreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #43
KathyRN137

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
I love Tusker House.
The plans for AK look good.
Thanks, Scott. I've never been to AK in the summer; I hope I can stand the heat!

Quote:
Sounds like a great plan so far.
Can't wait to hear about your date night.
Sigh. I've never had a date night at Disney.
I'm going to have to talk to my hubs about that....
We're not going far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post
Ahh....Animal Kingdom Lodge. My dream resort! We visited in 2010 when we had dinner at Boma and I fell in love!

Date night?? YAY! Good for you! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Thanks! It it wasn't for our DVC membership we could never afford AKL!

Kathy
Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #44
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

I'm here!! I'm an 18 year old with autism so I understand what your son was like. I was his age when I last went to WDW (2010). How old was Billy when he was diagnosed? I was almost 4.

Kaitlin: Lover of 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, Jonas, and Concerts
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
WDWJonasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #45
KathyRN137

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWJonasGirl View Post
I'm here!! I'm an 18 year old with autism so I understand what your son was like. I was his age when I last went to WDW (2010). How old was Billy when he was diagnosed? I was almost 4.

Hello and

Billy was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder just before his 3rd birthday and with Classic Autism when he was five. Since preschool he has attended a wonderful school for kids with developmental disabilities and is graduating from the middle school program next month!

His needs have always been too great to consider integrating him into the public school system and that's OK because he loves his school! They have programs up to age 21 and and adult day program after that!

He is so excited about our upcoming vacation; we talk about it every day! We even have his Speech Therapist include our Disney planning into his sessions!

Thanks for reading and posting,

Kathy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: