Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #31
SapphireMind
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
"Only 26 weeks" is still past viability, regardless of a doctor's okay. Ships do not have a NICU onboard. She was VERY lucky the cruise line allowed her to rebook without a penalty, as it's the passengers responsibility to time it correctly.
Totally agree here. Past 20 weeks (when they can start doing major interventions to save a baby/pregnancy) I would not travel more than a couple hours away from home, unless you are prepared to stay there for the remainder of the pregnancy and perhaps months and months after if the child is born while out there.

I'm a neonatal nurse practitioner and if I was there, I would be able to help save a baby, if they knew to contact me. But they wouldn't. And I've seen ship doctors. I would not trust them to intubate a 26 week infant. Nor would I expect them to know how to bag one properly, or even keep it warm enough until help arrived. Neonatal is such a different world from the rest of medicine. I'm useless for most things, but give me a 23 weeker, I know what to do. And I do not want to have to do it on board a cruise ship, on a beach or even in a hotel room I like my well-equipped hospitals with oxygen, surfactant and IV fluids. And sterile equipment that is the correct size for the baby. :D Though technically I've been taught how to intubate with my finger, I prefer a lighted laryngoscope :D
Old 04-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #32
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

From the Disney cruise web site:

Women who have entered their 24th week of pregnancy as of their embarkation date will be refused passage due to safety concerns. Neither a physician's medical statement nor a waiver of liability will be accepted. In addition, Disney Cruise Line cannot be held responsible or liable for any complications relating to pregnancy at any stage.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #33
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissySprng View Post
We are taking the repositioning cruise and got passports for the family. My Bro-in-law, is only bringing birth certificates for his kids. We are trying to talk him into passports.
How is your BIL getting to Canada? If flying he will need passports for everyone anyways.
Have him check out Canada's website for what information he will need to have to go on a cruise that leaves from Canada. That's where he will get the actual info he needs. As another poster suggested, have him call DCL to get the needed info.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #34
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Is there somewhere to find out what infractions would cause entry into Canada to be denied? And tell us what to do if we have one?
Hi Shmoo,

Sorry I do not have a list. I first heard about it online where a couple was going on a cruise out of Vancouver, and when they got to the Canadian border, they would not let the husband into Canada because of a old DWI conviction.

I guess the best thing to do is if someone is not sure to call Canadian border/Customs.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #35
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is there somewhere to find out what infractions would cause entry into Canada to be denied? And tell us what to do if we have one?
I believe it is all felonies and certain misdemeanors. What you have to do is apply for permission, and it takes about 6 months to get such approval.

It is not just Canada. The US won't allow Canadians in with felonies either.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #36
misslizzy1973
Mouseketeer

I only have my daughter's birth certificate. I was so nervous about it not being official that I took it to the post office and had someone who dealt in passports take a look at it and they said it was the "real deal". Made me feel a lot better. It does have the raised seal but I have nightmares of being turned away at the ship.

Last edited by misslizzy1973; 04-22-2013 at 12:41 PM.
misslizzy1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #37
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslizzy1973 View Post
I only have my daughter's birth certificate. I was so nervous about it not being official that I took it to the post office and had someone who dealt in passports take a look at it and they said it was the "real deal". Made be feel a lot better. It does have the raised seal but I have nightmares of being turned away at the ship.
Wow - what a smart idea!

I certainly didn't mean to induce worry in anyone over the BC story I shared, but if just one person is spared the heartbreak of missing a trip at the last minute, then my friends' misery will have had a silver lining!!
Jiminy'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #38
Dallas_Lady
I only work for the vacation money

We did a 5 day on the Dream last summer out of PC with just BC and had no issues at all. I brought my marriage license to prove my name change but was never asked for it.
Dallas_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #39
Cotton Family
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Lady View Post
We did a 5 day on the Dream last summer out of PC with just BC and had no issues at all. I brought my marriage license to prove my name change but was never asked for it.
Thanks Dallas_Lady! This helped me the best, I'm sure I won't be taking any vacations that will require the not so cheap for a family of four passports! My husband still wants his, but he can deal with that on his own, otherwise the kids and I will be using BC! Thanks!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #40
BibbidyBobbidyBoo

AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWammy View Post
Hospitals don't issue birth certificates, but records of birth that are used to issue an actual birth certificate. Sorry that your friend had to learn the hard way. Were they able to re-book the cruise? The small "birth cards" that are issued in some states can't be used at birth certificates either.
I've used the small birth cards issued in Texas from county clerk here- on DCL cruises just fine. It has the info needed and raised seal as well. I'm not sure why you say can't be used as birth certificates, they are the real deal. they ARE birth certificates.
2004 ASMU solo trip
2005 ASMO mom & kids trip (June-DD's birthday), ASSP mom & kids trip (Oct-MNSSHP)
2006 GF RPC & Disney "double scoop" cruise (family trip)
2008 Disneyland & EB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
2009 WDW @ FW & 7nt Western Cruise (family trip)
2010 DL (mom & kids road trip), WB TransAtlantic Cruise (family trip)
2011 DL & Wonder B2B repo & Alaska! (family trip), offsite WDW mom & kids trip
2012 DL Jan/Feb 2012 (w/friend), WDW/Fantasy 6/23/12 (family trip)
2013 Magic Galveston cruise (family trip), July DL (family trip)
2014 WB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
BibbidyBobbidyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #41
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibbidyBobbidyBoo View Post
I've used the small birth cards issued in Texas from county clerk here- on DCL cruises just fine. It has the info needed and raised seal as well. I'm not sure why you say can't be used as birth certificates, they are the real deal. they ARE birth certificates.
Yes, the cards issued from the county clerk are fine, the issue is with cards issued by the hospital that people are mistaken for birth certificates. My husband's official BC that we paid to have expedited from PA is a small card that we used to obtain his passport with. His original BC did not have his parent's names on it which makes absolutely no since at all to me but that is how they were issued.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #42
kmchar1
Mouseketeer

Has anyone travelled on the Fantasy to St. Maarten only using their birth certificates recently? I read on the gov webpage that St. Maarten requires passports, even with sea travel. Is this true??? I'd hate to get to the ship and only have birth certificates and get denied. We don't plan on getting off the ship in St. Maarten anyway, but I'm worried Disney won't let us on. Anyone experience this?
kmchar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #43
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchar1 View Post
Has anyone travelled on the Fantasy to St. Maarten only using their birth certificates recently? I read on the gov webpage that St. Maarten requires passports, even with sea travel. Is this true??? I'd hate to get to the ship and only have birth certificates and get denied. We don't plan on getting off the ship in St. Maarten anyway, but I'm worried Disney won't let us on. Anyone experience this?
I doubt this is true. We went to St. Maarten in Dec., and while we have passports, we weren't told we needed to take them off the ship and no special announcements were made that only those who had boarded with passports were allowed to leave the ship. We could leave with just our KTTW cards and ID.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #44
OntFamily
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Essentially, if you have been found guilty of any crime that is listed in the Criminal Code of Canada ( or arrested for any such crime, and the matter is still before the courts), you may be refused entry.

My understanding is that not every traveller from the USA will have their background checked for what Canada would determine as "criminal" past, but it may happen. From the links below,it may also depend on the severity of the crime, and the long of time since the issue.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...admissibility/

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-...ss-eng.html#s3

Like the other person said, if you are concerned, it may be best to ask Canada Border Services Agency for guidance. If a cruise wasn't involved, I as "give it a try". However, with the possibility one could lose their cruise fare, I wouldn't take the chance.
OntFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #45
csturg
Earning My Ears

Is it ok just to have a birth certificate for a married woman? We are traveling with just our birth certifcates (closed loop from PC to Nassau back to PC). I guess the reason I have this question is because on my birth certificate shows only my maiden name. Do they just make sure the DOB matches? I am starting to worry!!!!
csturg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: