Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #16
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I really think hospitals need to stop this nonsense. THEY know that what they issue isn't official, so why on earth do it? Children born in hospitals in America have a birth certificate issued by the state registrar's office, and the state gets the info from the hospital. The parent has to order the certified BC from that office. There is no reason a hospital should be doing anything that might confuse anyone.
While the hospital document eventually becomes a souvenir, it isn't nonsense. It is a birth record that most health insurance companies will take as a temporary proof of birth to validate immediate coverage of a newborn until the official birth certificate can be obtained from the government (in CA it's the county, NOT the state), which can take a few weeks.

Last edited by Meghatron; 04-21-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

We got my kids (10, 8 and 4) the passport cards... I am a bit regretful now and wish we had just bitten the bullet and gotten the books.

Etsy ID: ALPhandmade
Jiminy'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissySprng View Post
What if its not a closed loop, like from Canada to California? Anybody have experience with that?
Now be very careful. You are thinking one country to another. To use the Birth Certificate it has to START and END end the same PORT. If it is one like the Disney Panama Canal where it starts in California and ends in Florida you have to have a Passport.

Quote:
The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #19
MissySprng
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndNick

Now be very careful. You are thinking one country to another. To use the Birth Certificate it has to START and END end the same PORT. If it is one like the Disney Panama Canal where it starts in California and ends in Florida you have to have a Passport.
We are taking the repositioning cruise and got passports for the family. My Bro-in-law, is only bringing birth certificates for his kids. We are trying to talk him into passports.
MissySprng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #20
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
We are taking the repositioning cruise and got passports for the family. My Bro-in-law, is only bringing birth certificates for his kids. We are trying to talk him into passports.
Have him call the cruise line, I would hate or him to show up to the port and not get the kids on the cruise. From the way I read the law only passports will work on a repositioning cruise. Now I am nobody and only know what I read and it is very had to find good information.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...a_tw_2223.html

Quote:
U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #21
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:

A repositioning cruise REQUIRES passports. They will not be allowed to board without them.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #22
PWammy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I really think hospitals need to stop this nonsense. THEY know that what they issue isn't official, so why on earth do it? Children born in hospitals in America have a birth certificate issued by the state registrar's office, and the state gets the info from the hospital. The parent has to order the certified BC from that office. There is no reason a hospital should be doing anything that might confuse anyone.

And I'm a little disturbed that since they had official BCs for at least one other child (from your wording), they didn't realize they needed one from the state for the youngest.
Hospitals don't issue birth certificates, but records of birth that are used to issue an actual birth certificate. Sorry that your friend had to learn the hard way. Were they able to re-book the cruise? The small "birth cards" that are issued in some states can't be used at birth certificates either.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #23
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:

And I'm a little disturbed that since they had official BCs for at least one other child (from your wording), they didn't realize they needed one from the state for the youngest.
They knew they needed the official one... they thought they had it. Basically, what happened was this... Their two kids were born in two different states so the BCs don't look alike, anyway. The wife sent the husband to get the BCs from the file drawer the night before leaving. He grabbed the correct one for one child, the wrong for the other. The official state BC was at home in the drawer the whole time!!! Talk about frustrating!

Carnival, the line they were cruising, refused to let them board (of course) and would not rebook the cruise in exchange. They gave them $600 in refund. Why that amount, I do not know. Why they wouldn't let them rebook without penalty, I don't know. I guess because the cruise was leaving in two hours and they couldn't resell their room.

Since they were already in Port Canaveral they decided to rent a car and spent the week at WDW instead.

The husband is still in ver hot water.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #24
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWammy View Post
Hospitals don't issue birth certificates, but records of birth that are used to issue an actual birth certificate. Sorry that your friend had to learn the hard way. Were they able to re-book the cruise? The small "birth cards" that are issued in some states can't be used at birth certificates either.
Carnival was happy to let them book a brand new cruise at cost, but they have sworn to never sail Carnival again. It wasn't really Carnival's fault, and they know that, but apparently the customer service was terrible.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #25
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandykaye View Post
has anyone that has cruised lately had any problems using their birth certificates to bored the ship?
Sailed on the Wonder last month with my Birth Certificate/Driver License and Marriage Certificate to prove name change difference. Same way I have sailed 16 other times. Going to get a passport in a couple months for my TA cruise next year.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #26
Kendal
DIS Veteran

I have to say my family and I went and got passport cards they are kinda like a passport but a little cheaper... They are for land and sea just not air travel... I am glad we got these cause I had sent my birth cert in to get one of these passport card and they sent it back telling me that was jut a hospital announcement... I had to get one from the courthouse in. The county I was born... Had I of taken this to he ship I would if mt been able to board and would of been very upset... We love our passport cards thy have your picture on it so its a very good to carry for your id also and you don't have to worry about loseing your birth cert... I think these ate worth every penny... Will get a passport book next time but the cards are great for cruises...
Kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #27
PWammy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy'sGirl View Post
Carnival was happy to let them book a brand new cruise at cost, but they have sworn to never sail Carnival again. It wasn't really Carnival's fault, and they know that, but apparently the customer service was terrible.
That sucks! My friend was refused a sailing b/c she was pregnant; she was only 26 weeks and had a doctor's ok, but she was really big and the cruiseline (I think Norweigan) didn't want to take a chance, but they let her rebook without penalty. Luckily she drove to the port, but still, so disappointing. I've also had friends not know that they couldn't travel during the last few months within their passport expiration and not able to sail.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #28
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWammy View Post
That sucks! My friend was refused a sailing b/c she was pregnant; she was only 26 weeks and had a doctor's ok, but she was really big and the cruiseline (I think Norweigan) didn't want to take a chance, but they let her rebook without penalty. Luckily she drove to the port, but still, so disappointing. I've also had friends not know that they couldn't travel during the last few months within their passport expiration and not able to sail.
"Only 26 weeks" is still past viability, regardless of a doctor's okay. Ships do not have a NICU onboard. She was VERY lucky the cruise line allowed her to rebook without a penalty, as it's the passengers responsibility to time it correctly.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #29
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
You will need a passport....and for Canada make sure you don't have even DWI on your record, they may not let you into Canada!

AKK
DUI, DWI, drug possession no matter how small amount and several other infractions can keep you from entering Canada whether it is while on a cruise originating in the US or Canada.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #30
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
You will need a passport....and for Canada make sure you don't have even DWI on your record, they may not let you into Canada!

AKK
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemck View Post
DUI, DWI, drug possession no matter how small amount and several other infractions can keep you from entering Canada whether it is while on a cruise originating in the US or Canada.
Is there somewhere to find out what infractions would cause entry into Canada to be denied? And tell us what to do if we have one?

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: