Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
mandykaye
Earning My Ears

Any problems with Birth Certificates?

has anyone that has cruised lately had any problems using their birth certificates to bored the ship?
mandykaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
MrsB919
Mouseketeer

2 years ago when we went on the Dream my husband used his birth certificate and was fine.

(Me) (Hubby) (Tanky) : (Ony) (Michey)
5/14- BCV, 9/13- CBR & DCL Fantasy, 9/12 -BWI,12/11 -POP, 9/11- Wedding & Honeymoon GF & DCL,
4/11,7/10,3/08 etc. (to many to count)- Offsite
MrsB919 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

There is not a problem boarding the ship as long as the cruise takes off and comes back to the same US Port. The only problem would be if you try to come back in the United States not on the ship; like flying home because of an emergency.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the WHTI compliant documents, listed below. Additionally, baptismal and hospital certificates, copies of U.S. passports and naturalization papers, are not WHTI compliant documents, therefore, are NOT acceptable.

· Valid U.S. Passport

· Passport Card

· Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city)

· Certificate of Naturalization

· Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

· Enhanced Tribal Card

· A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

· Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
MommyTo4Kids
Earning My Ears

We cruised on the 3 day Dream last week and all 6 of us used our birth certificates.. We went to Nassau and Cast Away.
MommyTo4Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Just a word about birth certificates.... Just last week my friends tried to cruise another cruise line with a hospital issued birth certificate for their youngest child and it was refused, of course. It appeared very official and they had no idea they had not brought the "real thing." They were a four hour flight from home and missed the cruise, losing 1000s of dollars. Most importantly, they were heartbroken. So, be sure you have the correct copy.
Jiminy'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
mandykaye
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy'sGirl View Post
Just a word about birth certificates.... Just last week my friends tried to cruise another cruise line with a hospital issued birth certificate for their youngest child and it was refused, of course. It appeared very official and they had no idea they had not brought the "real thing." They were a four hour flight from home and missed the cruise, losing 1000s of dollars. Most importantly, they were heartbroken. So, be sure you have the correct copy.
Thanks, we all have our state issued birth certificates
mandykaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
tamlynnk
Earning My Ears

Quote:
An official birth certificate has a stamp or seal on the document.
tamlynnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamlynnk View Post
An official birth certificate has a stamp or seal on the document.
Also add hologram,water mark and there are a few other methods....some people get caught up in the "raised seal" or no deal idea
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just a word about birth certificates.... Just last week my friends tried to cruise another cruise line with a hospital issued birth certificate for their youngest child and it was refused, of course. It appeared very official and they had no idea they had not brought the "real thing."
I really think hospitals need to stop this nonsense. THEY know that what they issue isn't official, so why on earth do it? Children born in hospitals in America have a birth certificate issued by the state registrar's office, and the state gets the info from the hospital. The parent has to order the certified BC from that office. There is no reason a hospital should be doing anything that might confuse anyone.

And I'm a little disturbed that since they had official BCs for at least one other child (from your wording), they didn't realize they needed one from the state for the youngest.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
SapphireMind
Mouseketeer

The one from the hospital is like a souvenir birth cert.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandykaye View Post
has anyone that has cruised lately had any problems using their birth certificates to bored the ship?

While it is totally ok on a closed loop cruise to use a official BC, but if you have a problem, like a health issue in a foreign port or need to fly home fast in a emergency or miss the ship, it becomes a big hazel and issue. You will need to go to the US Embassy, get a temporary Passport and that takes 2 days or more!

You have to pay for a hotel and meals while you wait! If someone is back home and ill..that's a lot of waiting!

We just feel its not worth the problems not to have a Passport!

IMHO

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
MissySprng
Earning My Ears

What if its not a closed loop, like from Canada to California? Anybody have experience with that?
MissySprng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissySprng View Post
What if its not a closed loop, like from Canada to California? Anybody have experience with that?
You would need a passport. The only exemption allowing BC & photo ID as opposed to passport is closed loop cruises (beginning & ending in the same port.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
Kira G.
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
While it is totally ok on a closed loop cruise to use a official BC, but if you have a problem, like a health issue in a foreign port or need to fly home fast in a emergency or miss the ship, it becomes a big hazel and issue. You will need to go to the US Embassy, get a temporary Passport and that takes 2 days or more!

You have to pay for a hotel and meals while you wait! If someone is back home and ill..that's a lot of waiting!

We just feel its not worth the problems not to have a Passport!
AKK
Yes, yes and yes! While you CAN take a closed-loop cruise with a birth certificate, I would not want to do it. It is really not that difficult to get a passport, so for peace of mind I really suggest you bite the bullet and get them for your group. Also the whole world opens up to you!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissySprng View Post
You will need a passport....and for Canada make sure you don't have even DWI on your record, they may not let you into Canada!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: