Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would yo pay extra for towel animals?
No way - Waste of Money 372 83.04%
No way - They should be included in the price of the room 84 18.75%
Yes - but only for $20.00 a night or less 4 0.89%
Yes - I'd pay more than $20.00 a night, we LOVE towel animals 1 0.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #91
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTime View Post
I was surprised a few years ago when I heard that people take them home also. And these same people wonder why rates go up...
Disney intends for you to take them home!!! Do you think they take them apart, wash them and recycle them?? Nope. They are used towels and facecloths. I have asked, at many resorts, if we are supposed to take them home with us. Yep, they are our gift to you has been what I've been told. Now? I have about 15 of the dang things. We no longer take them home unless they are an unusual critter. They sit around, collecting dust!!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #92
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Disney intends for you to take them home!!! Do you think they take them apart, wash them and recycle them?? Nope. They are used towels and facecloths. I have asked, at many resorts, if we are supposed to take them home with us. Yep, they are our gift to you has been what I've been told. Now? I have about 15 of the dang things. We no longer take them home unless they are an unusual critter. They sit around, collecting dust!!
It's a folded towel, it isn't complicated to take apart (unless they make some fancy ones and if that's the case I just haven't seen any like that) and all the towels/facecloths are used so I don't get where you are going with that.

I personally wasn't surprised because of stealing, I was surprised because it seems like a ridiculous souvenir. I can't stand the super adorable stuffed animal clutter we have, let alone a fancily folded towel. If people like them though (and Disney is cool with it) have at it
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #93
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJessie View Post
It's a folded towel, it isn't complicated to take apart (unless they make some fancy ones and if that's the case I just haven't seen any like that) and all the towels/facecloths are used so I don't get where you are going with that.

I personally wasn't surprised because of stealing, I was surprised because it seems like a ridiculous souvenir. I can't stand the super adorable stuffed animal clutter we have, let alone a fancily folded towel. If people like them though (and Disney is cool with it) have at it
Unless you consider all the glue........
Old 04-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #94
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
Unless you consider all the glue........
I never had anything that elaborate, but I could totally see why you wouldn't be undoing such a thing and why they don't have time to be assembling many of these. They must just have them prepped ahead of time if they are glued though... negating the "cleaning the room should take precedence" argument.. interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing or I never would have known they glue them!!

I still wouldn't want to keep one making them super useless in my case lol
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #95
Carlyzmom
AXIOM Crew Member
I see naked people all the time that are NOT pretty

So, wait a minute, they use DIRTY towels to make them? Eww!!
1995 Disneyland Hotel - California
1997 Fort Wilderness
1998 Fort Wilderness
2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 Port Orleans Riverside

Me DH DD 13 DS 11
Carlyzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #96
DaisyD
Nothing like crunchy milk in the morning!
Guess I'll be checking my swords with the luggage
I am a closet Ragamuffin eater!

While I love towel animals, paying for it would take all the fun out of it. The point for us is being surprised at finding one in the room when we get back in it. I wouldn't even pay a penny extra for that. Looking around and finding one is fun. Expecting one because you paid is lame.
DaisyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #97
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyzmom View Post
Of course not. But they make the animals out towels and wash clothes that have been in circulation for a while and would most likely be thrown out soon. That's why it's okay to take them home. They would just be tossed out otherwise.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #98
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJessie View Post
I never had anything that elaborate, but I could totally see why you wouldn't be undoing such a thing and why they don't have time to be assembling many of these. They must just have them prepped ahead of time if they are glued though... negating the "cleaning the room should take precedence" argument.. interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing or I never would have known they glue them!!

I still wouldn't want to keep one making them super useless in my case lol
My DGD loved some of the little ones so we had them in the bathroom for a while. I have no idea how Disney's housekeeping service manages time, but there seems to be time set aside for mousekeepers who choose to create the little towel animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyzmom View Post
As others ave repeated pointed out, these are old cloths that have been pulled from the rotation. They are not dirty. These towels are as clean as the ones in the bathroom, they are simply more worn.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #99
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
...As others ave repeated pointed out, these are old cloths that have been pulled from the rotation. They are not dirty. These towels are as clean as the ones in the bathroom, they are simply more worn.
Some of the towel animals I have seen were made with new towels.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #100
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Some of the towel animals I have seen were made with new towels.
Perhaps a few,but that does not negate that Disney clearly supports this practice, indeed has used it as a very inexpensive way to "plus" a stay.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #101
DaisyD
Nothing like crunchy milk in the morning!
Guess I'll be checking my swords with the luggage
I am a closet Ragamuffin eater!

Quote:
Perhaps a few,but that does not negate that Disney clearly supports this practice, indeed has used it as a very inexpensive way to "plus" a stay.
We would get a lot of them at our Poly stays. Once we had a hideous monkey hanging from the bed. DD was little and loved that monkey. She pleaded to take it home but I really thought it wasn't allowed. At check out we went down to the desk, monkey in hand, offering to pay. The manager came out smiling and said towel animals are souveniers and free to take whatever our mousekeeper gives us. DD is 14 and still has that monkey hanging off her bed. LOL
DaisyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #102
Yellosno
DIS Veteran

I would only pay if it were like a dollar a night or two for kids not for myself.
August 2005 Beach Club & Polynesian
January 2008 Wilderness Lodge
August 2011: Port Orleans French Quarter
July 2012: Saratoga Springs & Pop Century
August 2013: Boardwalk & Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yellosno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #103
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Towel animals are cute - but I would NOT pay extra for them! No way!

POR has a Mickey head swirled on the bed each time we check in. It must be a check-in "thing" because they don't appear at any other time during the week.
We love this little extra touch at check-in.

At Pop - we leave the small ones in the window. It makes it so easy to find your room without looking at the number. Window decorating with towel animals seems to be a very widespread idea at Pop.

One of these days - when I'm in the right place at the right time for a class - I would love to make a towel animal. I want to find out how creative I can be with a towel - but I need some guidance first!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #104
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyD View Post
We would get a lot of them at our Poly stays. Once we had a hideous monkey hanging from the bed. DD was little and loved that monkey. She pleaded to take it home but I really thought it wasn't allowed. At check out we went down to the desk, monkey in hand, offering to pay. The manager came out smiling and said towel animals are souveniers and free to take whatever our mousekeeper gives us. DD is 14 and still has that monkey hanging off her bed. LOL
I know. I have been told this as well. I know it is a little thing but those small gifts go a long way as an incentive for guests to return. People who insist again and again that the little towel animals drive rates up and who disregard the numerous accounts of managers gifting children with them, might want to take a marketing class. Every time Disney offers an extra, Disney is investing in the resorts, the restaurants, parks and gift shops because if one family decides the "pixie dust" is worth staying onsite that investment has paid for itself many times over. The good will Disney gains from every little surprise must be measurable because these little keep happening.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #105
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

$20 for something that takes minutes to make? Sign me up for that job! I'd churn those bad boys out all day long and retire at 55!

MaleficentRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: