Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
doublescoop33
Earning My Ears

Question Resort Stay followed by Disney Dream Cruise in August-Tips?

We're planning our next Disney "fix" having done two trips to WDW and loving every minute of it. We're looking at doing 4 days in the parks, probably staying at Pop, followed by a 4 day Bahama cruise on Disney Dream. Because I'm a teacher, we're going to have to travel during July or August. Has anyone done this and if so, do you have any tips for my planning? My one concern is hurricane season-what are the chances of the entire trip being cancelled due to that?
doublescoop33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublescoop33 View Post
We're planning our next Disney "fix" having done two trips to WDW and loving every minute of it. We're looking at doing 4 days in the parks, probably staying at Pop, followed by a 4 day Bahama cruise on Disney Dream. Because I'm a teacher, we're going to have to travel during July or August. Has anyone done this and if so, do you have any tips for my planning? My one concern is hurricane season-what are the chances of the entire trip being cancelled due to that?
First, Welcome to the Cruise Board!!! We have cruised over the summer about a dozen times. Storms, if they happen certainly can happen during the summer but MOST seem to happen later in the season in Sept, Oct, Nov. Hurricane season technically is June 1 to November 30 so thousands of people cruise during hurricane season with no problems. It is very rare for a cruise to be completely cancelled. Usually they can work around a hurricane by changing the route or skipping or changing ports. I always take out travel insurance no matter what time of the year we cruise.

You can meld your WDW stay and cruise very easily by booking transfers from WDW to the port at $35 pp each way. Or, you could rent a car or hire a limo or towncar service to take you to the port.

I would definitely book WDW and DCL as 2 separate reservations. There is no benefit to booking your WDW stay through DCL. Book them separately and you can then take advantage of any special pricing or discounts at WDW if they become available.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Unlikely. That's really early in cane season.

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
LoveMickey
Can't wait to feel the "wonder" of the Disney Wonder!

We are cruising 8/11 this year. We are staying AKV before the cruise and VWL post cruise.

This time we are using Disney transfers to and from the port, in case of any weather issues and we opted for Disney Insurance.

When I cruise during non hurricane season, we use a town car service (cheaper per person than Disney) and I opt for an independent insurance.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
bbn1122
DIS Veteran

Going next August....cruised right after Hurricane Irene went past the port.....
CC was cancelled and could not get off in Nassau first day. We went back the next day instead of CC. We were bummed but still had a great time. We will try it all again next year. But I like the end of August cruise rates. We do not go back to school till after Labor Day, so we can take advantage of those rates.

Also, due to my boys sports commitments...summer is our only time to getaway with missing something.

We also have been to WDW a few years ago with impending Tropical Storm. It was windy and a little rainy for a day or two but we survived. The fun part was walking into Epcot with our rain ponchos in hand.....windy but warm, no rain....there was hardlyanyone there,.....we felt like we had Epcot all to ourselves. We had a blast.

We also have been in August before that very hot but that just ment more pool time, water parks and breaks in air conditioned attractions.

August is August....July may be a little better...but cruises are higher priced.

Good luck
AKL - Aug 2011,
HHI - August 2012
OKW - August 2014
Vero Beach - August 2014
Magic - West Carib April 2010, 2 night NYC June 2012
Dream - 3 night - August 2011 3 Night Dream - August 2014
bbn1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
bbn1122
DIS Veteran

Forgot to mention...with Hurricane Irene....we thought they may cancel the cruise but were told that really never happens. We stayed at AKL before the cruise weather was great...
AKL - Aug 2011,
HHI - August 2012
OKW - August 2014
Vero Beach - August 2014
Magic - West Carib April 2010, 2 night NYC June 2012
Dream - 3 night - August 2011 3 Night Dream - August 2014
bbn1122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: