Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

I ♥ DCL, but...

We have been on 5 Disney and 1 horrible Carnival cruise (1995). If it was up to me, we would only cruise DCL, but my extended family wants to try something different. It's taken a LOT of convincing, but they've finally gotten me to agree to look into Royal Caribbean.

So, anyway we got a FL resident rate on our last 3-night DCL cruise and only paid $1100 for 3 of us in a cat. 4D. People keep telling me RCI is cheaper, but I can't find anything that even comes close to that price. Not to mention that there are no 3-night cruises on newer ships. I want something at least as nice as the Disney Dream.

I know everything (well almost ) about DCL and how to get a good deal, but I can't figure out how people are getting better rates on RCI. I would love for my extended family to cruise with us again, but I won't do it on an old ship for more money.

Flying would raise the price considerably, so ideally I would like to depart from Port Canaveral. Fort Lauderdale and Miami would be other options, but not as convenient.

Can anyone give me some tips on finding a good price on a nice ship? Or am I out of luck with my requirements?

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

While they may not be the newest ships in Royal's fleet, the Enchantment of the Seas will be home porting in Port Canaveral for the short Bahamas cruises, the Adventure of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas do short cruises from Ft. Lauderdale, and Brilliance of the Seas will be taking over the 4 and 5 night Tampa cruises in the fall (currently the Jewel of the Seas handles those until this May). All of those are nice ships (I especially love the Radiance class, which would be the Brilliance/Jewel). The Enchantment of the Seas just went through a nice refurbishment this past December as well.

Hope this helps!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Keyword I notice in OP comment was NEWER SHIP... will be hard pressed to get a low rate on a newer ship unless last minute booking Florida resident guarantee rate, to be honest. And even then prices will be better out of Port Everglades and Port of Miami, due to the fact that there are more ships sailing out of those ports = competition.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
dpswift
DIS Veteran

We loved our cruise on the Independace of the Seas(Freedom class) but to be honest it took alot of looking to find an affordable cruise that one time. It seems that in February they have a 5 night in the Caribbean that is not too expensive. Other than that the Freedom and Oasis classes are around 1000 per person. Also Royal charges for its soda package. If I am going to spend 1000 per person I am going to do Disney.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Zandy595
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
While they may not be the newest ships in Royal's fleet, the Enchantment of the Seas will be home porting in Port Canaveral for the short Bahamas cruises, the Adventure of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas do short cruises from Ft. Lauderdale, and Brilliance of the Seas will be taking over the 4 and 5 night Tampa cruises in the fall (currently the Jewel of the Seas handles those until this May). All of those are nice ships (I especially love the Radiance class, which would be the Brilliance/Jewel). The Enchantment of the Seas just went through a nice refurbishment this past December as well.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for all the great info. Liberty looks nice. Unfortunately, it doesn't do 3-night cruises. I found a 4-night in a balcony room (which was cheaper than an inside) for $1604. A FL rate on DCL is still cheaper.

Even a 3-night balcony on Enchantment was $1222. There's no way I'm paying more (than DCL) to cruise on that ship.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Old 04-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
Thanks for all the great info. Liberty looks nice. Unfortunately, it doesn't do 3-night cruises. I found a 4-night in a balcony room (which was cheaper than an inside) for $1604. A FL rate on DCL is still cheaper.

Even a 3-night balcony on Enchantment was $1222. There's no way I'm paying more (than DCL) to cruise on that ship.
You know what's odd? Often we find it's cheaper to book two people in two staterooms on RCI, rather than putting all four in one stateroom. Sounds strange, I know, but try that.

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You know what's odd? Often we find it's cheaper to book two people in two staterooms on RCI, rather than putting all four in one stateroom. Sounds strange, I know, but try that.
That's what we did for our Thanksgiving Allure booking (also w/extended family who turn their noses at Disney). The staterooms don't offer split baths which I feel is important with 2 teens. So, we booked DH & I in a balcony room and our boys in an inside room directly across the hall from us. 2 staterooms during a holiday week is running us about $500 less than our 05E on the Fantasy the last week of May.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Zandy595
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There are only 3 of us.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: