Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #31
lenitakimball
Earning My Ears

Life's short! Work work work, Vacation is what I work for and look forward to every year, no matter the cost if I can make the money then I'm going. only live once! got to enjoy this one life
lenitakimball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #32
beansmom
Your dream eludes you? Don't you know that a dream is a wish your heart makes??

Quote:
We went to Hawaii, which was pretty expensive - and while it was worthwhile to do it once, I'm not likely to spend that much for that vacation a second time. It was a vacation that was worth the money we put into it once.
everyone is different coz Hawaii is where i'm dying to get back to...and for twice as long as the first time!

we spend more on vacations...we are older and have no children at home altho we do often take children with us when we travel. When I'm in a nursing home and have very little of my 'stuff' around me....i will still have my memories of all the wonderful places I have visited.
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #33
shortbun
Peacenik

You shop a little to find the price range and decide if it's worth it. Then you really commit and work to get the best price/value for your trip. You have to closely scrutinize all details-hotels/accomodations, transportation, timing, meals, inclusions, extras...and book it the way it should be done so you are comfortable. If you choose to spend a little extra for extra comfort or time or pleasure-that's your decision. There is no right or wrong price if you are happy. Do your homework. Care to share your destination?

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #34
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrew View Post
So I am exploring vacation options(not Disney) for a family of 5, including 3 teen boys, plus possibly my Mom. I just can't wrap my head around the prices. When does the price just become too much? Having the funds is not an issue--no saving or borrowing required--but I am very frugal by nature and trying to determine the relative "worth" of a family vacation.

I am wondering how others determine what is a prudent price to pay for a vacation?
I was checking out Beaches Turks and Caicos today for our summer vacation (family of 4).

It would have been $13,000 for a week.

That's too much.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #35
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

To the OP - I don't think you mentioned the ages of your boys.

If you are able to plan, afford and take a vacation this year "just do it".

This will be much harder to do as the kids get older. High school has a charming way of sneaking into and taking summer away. You'll know this if your kids are in any fall sports, or if they are in the marching band.

As far as "what is too much" that is your call to make, and your call only. My current reality is - DD is finishing up her freshman year of college in May, so my answer would probably be far lower than anyone else's.

The family time is priceless...whether you spend it at home, close to home or somewhere exotic.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #36
Bete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I definitely feel the urgency of my boys growing up and having limited time left to vacation as a family. However, time availability is a huge factor and traveling off season and looking for bargain dates is not an option. Also, my husband and boys are very picky, to the point where it stresses me out and I just want to give up. They really only want an all inclusive tropical (Cancun) vacation and airfare alone cannot be found for under $600 so that is $3600 off the bat for 6!! All in we are looking at $10,000+++ for a week....I guess that was my original dilemma...is it REALLY worth that kind of money?

So other options...I have looked at cruises, and the teaser price sounds great, but then you add in taxes and gratuities and port activities and airfare and drinks--wow the price is right up there again.

A Myrtle Beach type vacation was great when they were young--pools, waterparks, sand castles, eating in the condo, early to bed...now they would be bored to death.

Amusement parks? Everyone hates lines, and they are unavoidable since we have to travel in the summer.

History? They'd rather stay home.

UGH!!!!!!!!
Based on your statement, here I would skip a vacation this year. Maybe, try some local activities together, here and there.
You might be at the point where saving for a bigger, more expensive vacation every other year will work out better for you.

I don't consider going to National Parks as history; so, maybe, give that a try. You could try it with the ones that are closest to where you live and then expand it to other National Parks if you like doing it.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #37
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clh2 View Post
To the OP - I don't think you mentioned the ages of your boys.

If you are able to plan, afford and take a vacation this year "just do it".

This will be much harder to do as the kids get older. High school has a charming way of sneaking into and taking summer away. You'll know this if your kids are in any fall sports, or if they are in the marching band.

As far as "what is too much" that is your call to make, and your call only. My current reality is - DD is finishing up her freshman year of college in May, so my answer would probably be far lower than anyone else's.

The family time is priceless...whether you spend it at home, close to home or somewhere exotic.
We are planning on taking a "bigger" vacation this summer, as it will more than likely be our last one as a family. But not $13,000 bigger.

DH starts Grad school this fall and by the time he is finished in 2 years, DS will have graduated from high school and will be on to whatever comes after high school for him (college, tech school, etc).

For us, I think the limit we'd be willing to be spend on a week for all 4 of us is about $6,000.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #38
Belle0101
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

I think the value is really up to each individual.

Our oldest son graduates this year and our youngest is in marching band now. We've been told that it gets more time consuming each year. So now time feels really short to me (they really do grow up fast) and I want this last relatively free summer to be something everyone remembers.

DH and I talked and we opted to let our oldest DS pick a destination. No leaving the country and let's not get too crazy were the only restrictions.

He picked Disney. He said our vacations there have been some of his best vacation memories. Everyone was happy, except DH. He vetoed WDW.

Why? He said it's too expensive and went on to suggest other destinations, mostly Key West. I started to calculate the costs for these other places, and comparing oranges to oranges, they cost about the same as, if not more than, Disney. Plus when I checked what we paid for our Disney resort last year compared to the same room this year, this year is cheaper.

He remains adamant that spending $3000 at WDW is less of a value than spending $3000 in Key West for the same amount of time. The boys and I disagree and see WDW as the better value.

(Plus you can't let someone pick and then rescind the offer based on cost. Especially when you're willing to spend that amount, just not at their destination of choice. But that's for another thread. )

I thought of another example. DH would be thrilled if every year we tent camped. In the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. For a week. At the end of July. (FYI: the campground bathrooms don't have showers. And did I mention we have teenage boys?)

He thinks it's a great value. The park doesn't charge admission, the tent campsites are $20 / night and you can pretty much see bears everyday. The boys I have conceded that it's a cheap vacation but we don't see the value in a shower-free vacation.
Belle0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #39
Mrs. Ciz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
I LIVE for vacations. I will sacrifice "things" for a trip any day.

I totally get what you are saying OP...I also have three kids...16, 15 and 12.
We have been very fortunate to travel A LOT. If there is a trip I want to take, I figure out how to pay for it. Most times, however, are pretty budget.

What I find now is the age the kids are at makes it hard to please everyone. So my new solution is.....bring a friend. We are holding off on super expensive trips for a while and have decided to let the kids bring a friend if we can.

We just got back yesterday from Cape Cod where my youngest brought a friend. It worked out great....even for The older two since the younger one wasn't bothering them.

Maybe Myrtle Beach, Outer Banks, Hilton Head, Destin, could work. Rent a killer house with private pool and invite a friend or two. Kids will love it at this age. You still fet a family vacation but even get sometime as adults only since the kids have someone to hang out with. Of course, it hasto be the "right" friend....easy going and low key.

Just an idea that I was never fond of, but am slowlycoming around to because of having teenagers.
I have two teens and we have started letting them bring friends on some vacations as well. We all still get to spend family time together, we just temporarily have a bigger family. One of the most successful trips we've taken was to Lake Lure, NC. We drove from Virginia (had to take two cars with all the people - 7 total, luggage, golf clubs and food from Costco). We own a timeshare which we traded for Lake Lure. Most of our meals were eaten in the condo (self serve breakfast, make your own subs for lunch, dinners on the grill), but we did go out to eat a few times. We paid all food and lodging costs. Each of my kid's friends brought $100 in spending money for activities, souvies, etc. We paid for some activities, they paid for some activities. We went: golfing, horseback riding, zip lining, river tubing with inner tubes and lake tubing behind a speed boat, visited Ashville to tour the Biltmore and attended the Bel Cher Music Festival. All the kids (aged 13 - 16) LOVED the trip and keep talking about going back to Lake Lure! I think food & lodging (timeshare maintenance fee plus RCI trading fee) ran around $1000. Activities were about $200 per person and the kids paid for some of these themselves. Not a bad price for an incredible time!

This summer we are going to California, Kauai and Oahu for 2 weeks. My kids are not bringing friends as we cannot afford to bring any along. Plus we are going with family so they will be with cousins. The condo is free (my parents own it), so we just pay for flights, food, rental car and activities. Flights alone will be $3500 or so. Yikes!

Summer 2014 will be a Sedona/Grand Canyon trip. The timeshare is already booked. Flights should be around $1300 total. The one day Colorado River white water rafting trip will be around $1600. Additional activities will be $150 per person. Two nights in Grand Canyon lodging will be $450 (if I choose El Tovar...might pick a cheaper place). Not sure yet about the rental car or food costs. I'm thinking $4500ish for 8 days. That raft trip is a budget buster but seems so "once in a life time" to me and I think my kids will love it so I'm saving up for it.

My youngest starts high school this coming fall and my oldest will be a junior. I am trying to fit all those iconic family trips in while I still can because I see our family vacation days slipping away. So I guess I would say take those vacations with your kids while you still can!
DL: Too many times to count growing up, DL: Jr. High Grad Trip 1980, WDW: Summer 1983, DL: New Year's Eve 1989, WDW: August 1995, DLR: Christmas 2001, DLR: June 2003, WDW: July 2010, WDW: Dec 2011, WDW: June 2013, DLR: July 2013

Wyndham Timeshare Owner & RCI Member since 1985

Last edited by Mrs. Ciz; 04-21-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Mrs. Ciz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #40
LauraR
Mouseketeer
Needs to do some serious apple eating

" think the value is really up to each individual.

Our oldest son graduates this year and our youngest is in marching band now. We've been told that it gets more time consuming each year. So now time feels really short to me (they really do grow up fast) and I want this last relatively free summer to be something everyone remembers.

DH and I talked and we opted to let our oldest DS pick a destination. No leaving the country and let's not get too crazy were the only restrictions.

He picked Disney. He said our vacations there have been some of his best vacation memories. Everyone was happy, except DH. He vetoed WDW. " Belle101

My oldest is going off to college next year, and my youngest the year after, so I am feeling like every vacation is a last opportunity now. We are going to WDW next week because my youngest asked, "when are we going to Disneyworld again?" and I jumped all over it. We had been thinking about the Caribbean, but I couldn't find any decent flights. I think it's going to be harder to schedule family vacations now with the difference in high school/college calendars, and the greater pull from friends. Anyway, I'm glad we're having a last hurrah!
P.S. That angel thingy is scaring the crud out of me! I probably shouldn't post after midnight....

Last edited by LauraR; 04-21-2013 at 12:39 AM. Reason: messed up the quote-how did I do that?
LauraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #41
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Ciz View Post
I have two teens and we have started letting them bring friends on some vacations as well. We all still get to spend family time together, we just temporarily have a bigger family. One of the most successful trips we've taken was to Lake Lure, NC. We drove from Virginia (had to take two cars with all the people - 7 total, luggage, golf clubs and food from Costco). We own a timeshare which we traded for Lake Lure. Most of our meals were eaten in the condo (self serve breakfast, make your own subs for lunch, dinners on the grill), but we did go out to eat a few times. We paid all food and lodging costs. Each of my kid's friends brought $100 in spending money for activities, souvies, etc. We paid for some activities, they paid for some activities. We went: golfing, horseback riding, zip lining, river tubing with inner tubes and lake tubing behind a speed boat, visited Ashville to tour the Biltmore and attended the Bel Cher Music Festival. All the kids (aged 13 - 16) LOVED the trip and keep talking about going back to Lake Lure! I think food & lodging (timeshare maintenance fee plus RCI trading fee) ran around $1000. Activities were about $200 per person and the kids paid for some of these themselves. Not a bad price for an incredible time!

This summer we are going to California, Kauai and Oahu for 2 weeks. My kids are not bringing friends as we cannot afford to bring any along. Plus we are going with family so they will be with cousins. The condo is free (my parents own it), so we just pay for flights, food, rental car and activities. Flights alone will be $3500 or so. Yikes!

Summer 2014 will be a Sedona/Grand Canyon trip. The timeshare is already booked. Flights should be around $1300 total. The one day Colorado River white water rafting trip will be around $1600. Additional activities will be $150 per person. Two nights in Grand Canyon lodging will be $450 (if I choose El Tovar...might pick a cheaper place). Not sure yet about the rental car or food costs. I'm thinking $4500ish for 8 days. That raft trip is a budget buster but seems so "once in a life time" to me and I think my kids will love it so I'm saving up for it.

My youngest starts high school this coming fall and my oldest will be a junior. I am trying to fit all those iconic family trips in while I still can because I see our family vacation days slipping away. So I guess I would say take those vacations with your kids while you still can!
I would recommend El Tovar!! We didn't stay there but used the bathroom in the lobby & wished we did. All accomodations are very rustic at the GC so I don't think I'd be happy with one of the cheaper places. The location of El Tovar can't be beat!!
We traded our timeshare for one in Sedona so we didn't want to have 2 accomodations at the same time. What a dope; I should have booked it anyway. We took the GC train and while it was neat, it wasted a lot of time we could have spent at the GC.
I would have loved to do a 1 day rafting trip but so many were 3 days and most 1 day trips were sold out by the time I decided. Or maybe it was because the train times made it impossible to do both. Who did you book with?

Oh well, gives us a good reason to go back again.

Ds13 was only 8 when we went and is always asking to go back again. It was our 1st non-Disney trip and I was so worried the kids would be bored. Boy was I wrong! We all loved it.

Last edited by ruadisneyfan2; 04-21-2013 at 03:29 AM.
ruadisneyfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #42
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Op, it's possible your fam. doesn't like to travel(?) It may be that you need to plan something smaller, and try it out together.....
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #43
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmom View Post
everyone is different coz Hawaii is where i'm dying to get back to...and for twice as long as the first time!

we spend more on vacations...we are older and have no children at home altho we do often take children with us when we travel. When I'm in a nursing home and have very little of my 'stuff' around me....i will still have my memories of all the wonderful places I have visited.
You may not remember any of them.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #44
drcmk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I definitely feel the urgency of my boys growing up and having limited time left to vacation as a family. However, time availability is a huge factor and traveling off season and looking for bargain dates is not an option.
When you say, "time availability is a huge factor," do you mean that your family really doesn't have time to spend together other than in the summer? If that is the case, and money truly isn't a factor, than I say pay the $10,000 and spend that precious week together. Maybe you will do it once and decide that it wasn't wort the money and not do it again. Maybe there are people on this board that have some ideas about how to make the kind of vacation that your family likes more affordable.

I feel like our vacations cement our family cohesion--we look at pictures from vacations and talk about memories every day. They also set up the expectation that we will spend time together enjoying being with each other on a regular basis (and I hope that never goes away). I also feel that having experiences that we don't have on a daily basis and going places that we have never been makes my children more interesting people, more interested people and helps them become truly educated citizens of the world.

I wouldn't take vacations that I can't afford. But I value and happily spend the money that it takes to go on the vacations that we can afford.
drcmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #45
kcrew
Gets a Warm, Fuzzy Feeling When Thinking about DIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
You may have done this already but at that point I would be asking "Why does it need to be Cancun? What specifically are you wanting to do that is only available there?" and see whether those desires can be met elsewhere.
Very good question. Believe it or not, a lot of it has to do with the food! We tend not to eat out, so this is a big thing on vacations. And at an all inclusive you can eat all you want, when you want, without having limitations on what you order. They don't have to listen to me telling them to order water instead of soda, or saying no to an appetizer...as I mentioned before, there are no lines and you can do as little(my husband) or as much as you want and there is no schedule and no stress. I one person wants to take a nap, and one wants to walk on the beach, and one wants to play volleyball, its okay and no one has to be in agreement about "what do we do today". And it's "exotic". It's hot (required) and there is the ocean. If they choose to snorkel or kayak or sail it is free. You can always get involved in a pool volleyball game or just lie in a hammock if you prefer. Nightly entertainment is available, or if someone is tired they can just go to bed and the others can stay out. We have a pool at home, btw, so renting a house with a pool would be of no interest. And a beach condo vacation wouldn't have the access to activities and entertainment that an all inclusive has so that would be "boring". And then I don't want to be cooking(nor do they want me to, lol) and restaurant meals are too stressful due to me obsessing over prices and placing limitations.

I am absolutely open to ideas!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: