DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
DaisyNY
Mouseketeer

AP Passes - when does it become worth it to buy?

Planning on two-three trips in the next year...if on each of our visits we stay 4-5 days...is it worth it to buy an AP ticket? Is it valid from June to June or only calendar year? Thanks!

March '14...WL, Disney Dream, BLT, October '13...GF,
December '12...WL, June '11...WL
Before...Many other magical trips including Poly, POR, and CBR... LUCKY US!!!
DaisyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

I think the sweet spot is generally believed to be around 10-12 days.

They run activation/first-use calendar day thru calendar day+1 year.
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
MrsH42608
Mouseketeer

They're valid for one year from your first use. We go twice a year for 7-10days each trip and for us its worth it. We like having the park hopper option, but Im not sure it would be worth it if you didnt want the hopper option- and depends on how many days you plan on being in the parks.
I also like that even if we take a day off from the parks we can still do dinner in the parks & its not "wasting" a ticket day.

MrsH42608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
lukikam
Mouseketeer

Being DVC members, sometimes they have good deals.

When we went in December 2012, they were having a special for $399.00 for the premium AP which included water parks and disquest.

ALWAYS ask everyone you talk to if they're having any specials. A lot of time if you don't A-S-K you don't G-E-T! (My mom's saying! )

Also, remember you get discounts on restaurants, mini golf, etc, so don't forget to factor that in.
Good luck!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

It depends too if you buy the Annual Pass or Seasonal Pass. We live in FL and we get the Seasonal pass cause there is no way I am going to Disney in the summer. And we don't like the two weeks of Christmas or Spring Break because it's too crowded. So if you're ok not going during those times, it makes it much more valuable, IMO.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
goofy-4-ever
Mouseketeer

When bought our Premium AP in December 2012, when they were having a special for $399.00 for them And will not use them until May. And yes, don't forget that the Premium AP includes the water parks, disquest, food discounts and also shopping discounts.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
DaisyNY
Mouseketeer

Any suggestions on where to check for specials??? websites??? Links??? Thanks!

March '14...WL, Disney Dream, BLT, October '13...GF,
December '12...WL, June '11...WL
Before...Many other magical trips including Poly, POR, and CBR... LUCKY US!!!
DaisyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyNY View Post
Any suggestions on where to check for specials??? websites??? Links??? Thanks!
I don't think the AP are discounted that often, if at all. DVC and I think FL residents usually get discounts. Other than that, you can check the WDW website and the boards to see what people are saying.

I'm a DVC member and I usually buy a pass whenever I know I will be at WDW at least three times during the year so that I get my monies worth out of the pass. I got the discounted DVC pass last year and will have visited WDW 5 times by the end of the summer. Most of my stays are weekly with two weekend trips thrown in. I always cost out what it would cost me to purchase weekly tickets and let that be the deciding factor as to how many times I need to go to WDW to break even. Keep in mind that the more times you go, the more money you spend(flights, food, etc.). It's really a double edged sword, but Disney knows how to keep you coming back!
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

I think conventional wisdom is if you are going to do more than 10 park days in 1 year it is worth it because you can't buy more than a 10 day pass so you would be adding days at a more expensive per diem rate.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

The $399 deal was unique and not something that has happened before. Many don't believe it will happen again..I am not sure myself. The price of a DVC AP is $425 plus tax and given the current price of tickets, I think it is worth it for your trip. You also get 10% off merchandise. Even though that may not be a lot, it can add up over the cost of the year.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Wish I had bought one before the end of last year. We weren't planning two trips, but have since changed our plans and will be going twice in under 12 months. This will be our first time buying an AP. but even at 425 I think it is worth it for two 6 day trips. Does the 10% discount apply to all purchases on property or only those over $50 like the Disney visa?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy-4-ever View Post
When bought our Premium AP in December 2012, when they were having a special for $399.00 for them And will not use them until May. And yes, don't forget that the Premium AP includes the water parks, disquest, food discounts and also shopping discounts.
I believed Disney stopped the extra PAP (20% total)shopping discount. Now everybody gets the 10% AP discount.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
Shellandscott
Earning My Ears

The first time we bought an AP I looked at what it would cost for tickets for each trips if I bought them separately, and compared it to the AP price. In your case 4 day ticket is $313.00 +tax and a 5 day is $325.00 +tax for park hoppers. From above statement AP is $425. So two 4 day passes would be $626 +tax per person for two 4 day trips. AP saves about $200 and even more if you do two 5 day trips. I think AP is worth it. But it may cause you to want to “sneak in” another trip. I know it does for us.

Numerous trips from 1973-1992
January 1999 - POFQ, May 2000 - & February 2004 - Offsite, August 2004 - BCV, January 2005 - SSR, May 2005 Hawaii (II), January 2006 - VWL, July 2006 - OKW, January 2007 Vegas (II), October 2007 - BCV, January 2008 - GF, May 2008 - VWL, Sept 2009 - BCV, May 2010 - VGC, May 2011 - SSR & BLT , May 2012 - VB, October 2012 - VGC, May 2013- BCV & VB, Dec 2013- OKW, Jan 2014 - BLT & SSR

Dream May 2011
Shellandscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #14
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

I did the math one time, and as I recall, 10 days was the sweet spot for us where the annual pass made financial sense. With the DVC discount this year, it was a no-brainer. We decided to add a second trip to make sure that we would be there enough days to make it work.

I hope that they continue the DVC promotion. I was only going to come 1 time this year, and it got them to squeeze a second trip out of me.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #15
lesabrowning
Mouseketeer

We have had APs for years, certainly since joining DVC and for as long as DL has offered them. (CA resident and past DL cast members zillion years ago) We now do WDW twice a year, but even when we did only one trip per year we would arrange it so it fell within the same AP year. (Take a trip the end of Oct this year and the beginning of Oct the following year, same AP but "two years" of vacation) With the DVC discount we always saved money.

lesabrowning is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: