Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
JenCin78
Mouseketeer

Subbed! Can't wait to hear all about your trip . Thank you to your husband for protecting our freedom.

1st trip 1986-camped at Jellystone campground, April 2012 offsite Bonnet Creek, June 2013 our first stay on property at Yacht Club!
JenCin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
Lbachelot
Mouseketeer

I'm from Beaumont too!

1995 FW, 1997 The Cabins at FW, 1999 Off Site with HS Band, 2001 ASM, Jan. 2012 POR (DD's First Trip), Dec. 2013 POFQ (DS's First Trip), Oct. 2014 AoA (Mommy/Daughter Surprise Trip)

Lbachelot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsmith921 View Post
Reading. Trying to keep from too much lurking. Sounds fun so far!

And thank you to your husband (and you) for his service!!
Thank you Hope you enjoy my TR. Still getting the hang of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojosam View Post
We have contemplated staying at SOG, especially since friends have raved about it, but this year we are going to bring the RV to Ft. Wilderness. It's good to hear another positive report regarding Shades of Green! I'll file that away for future reference!
Other than the food , I really don't have anything bad to say about SOG. For the price, the park location really can't be beat, the grounds are beautiful, and the rooms are the biggest regular size rooms on Disney property (or so I'm told). It definitely gets a from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenCin78 View Post
Subbed! Can't wait to hear all about your trip . Thank you to your husband for protecting our freedom.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbachelot View Post
I'm from Beaumont too!
Yay SE TX! My parents live in Hamshire.

Disneyland- June 2003-CL at Disneyland Hotel
WDW - March 2013 - Shades of Green
Planning for November 2015...going through the exciting process of picking a resort

ATTENTION: TR IN PROGRESS You need superglue for WHAT??? A Bloody Magical First Time Trip Report!
deannaf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

Black Widows, Triceratops, and Tigers...Oh My!

After our awesome safari, we got some gorilla pics.

We didn't hang out too long by the gorilla. My husband gets really bummed out by gorillas in captivity for some reason. He says they always look so sad. I think that's just how gorillas look man.

I wanted to leave because for some reason gorillas don't like me. Twice, TWICE! at the KC Zoo I've had gorillas walk over and punch the glass where I'm standing. Needless to say, I'm not going be the next Dian Fossey.

Next up was It's Tough to Be a Bug.

By the time we strolled over from Africa to the Tree of Life, Ezra was crashed out. Daniel decided to wait with him and I'd take Audrey in to see It's Tough to be a Bug.

Now, I did see warnings about taking kids under 7 or so in there, but Audrey insisted she would be okay. I saw the DCA version circa 2003, and figured there was a 50/50 shot she would be okay with it.

She was so pumped

She loved the first part. She was laughing so hard at the stink bug.

When Hopper came out, she was a little apprehensive but still making it.

Bug spray part, holding onto me but still in the chair...

Black widows attack? Home girl took off running out of the theater and left me there!

So I trailed after her and we caught up with Daniel and Ezra.

Now the next step on my plan was Dinosaur, but I figured I didn't want to traumatize Audrey anymore.

We headed towards Dinoland, hit the bathrooms, and Audrey set eyes on Triceratop Spin. She was in love.

The wait was non existent, so we hopped in line.

That ride was....short, but we had a good time.

I was still wanting to ride on Dinosaur, so we headed that way. We saw a crocodile. I have two pics of crocs. I think one is from the crocodile in front of Dinosaur and one is from the safari. Any idea which one is which?

I haven't a clue.

It was closing in on 10:00 by this time, so I decided against Dinosaur so we could catch one of the 10:30 shows. I was really wanting to see Lion King, but had also heard good things about Flights of Wonder. I let Audrey choose since she was still kind of freaked out from the black widows. She chose Flights of Wonder, which surprised me.

We walked back towards FOW and there was not a single person in line to get in, so we decided we could fit something else in really quick.

Maharajah Jungle Trek it was!

Tigers are so beautiful, I could sit and watch them all day.

The bats were really cool too. They are so dang big and are like right there, holy moly!

By the time we had finished our trek, it was time for FoW.

This show was really funny and interesting, but Ezra was not amused. I think we went through two fruit cups and a granola bar just trying to keep him happy and quiet.

This is the only decent picture I got during the show since I was busy feeding the sacrificial fruit cups to the tiny god of whine.

After FoW, I was sensing impending meltdowns. Oh, not from the kids, but the adults. We were hungry! You know except for Ezra, he was still on a fruit cup high.

The park was really starting to pick up in crowds, so we headed out. We left property to get some lunch.

My husband was wanting Red Lobster for some reason, so we had a nice lunch. The kids were quite good, the waitress even commented on how well Ezra was behaved.

Red Lobster pic

After our lunch, we headed back to the hotel for some swimming and a nap. We needed our rest, because we were headed to Fantasmic! that night.

Next Update

Planning for November 2015...going through the exciting process of picking a resort

ATTENTION: TR IN PROGRESS You need superglue for WHAT??? A Bloody Magical First Time Trip Report!

Last edited by deannaf87; 04-21-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #20
wdwobsessed!
Mouseketeer

Subbing! What a great trip report so far! My boyfriend and my dad are both in the military and my dad has gone overseas twice so I know all about that
Old 04-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #21
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

My GPS does not comply with Disney protocol and Fantasmic!

We woke up from our lovely naps.

I could not get over how well Ezra slept while on this trip. He usually WILL NOT go to sleep if you're in the same room with him.

Luckily SoG had a little wall divider type thing that I put his crib behind and he couldn't see us, so he went to sleep pretty easily.

Plus Disney World is tiring for a one year old, even if they don't actually do any walking.

We drove to the nearest Taco Bell (gourmet right?) and grabbed a quick dinner. Then it was off to Hollywood Studios!

I plugged HS into my GPS on my phone and we were on our way. Too bad my GPS apparently does not take into consideration the way us regular folk get to the HS parking lot. It sent us to a backstage entrance and we were stopped by the security guard, who seemed like he saw that kind of thing a lot. He directed us to the proper entrance and we were ready for some movie magic.

The hat!

Us with the hat!

Monday was one of the nights that week that had two showings of Fantasmic! and since I know my kids wouldn't make it to the late show, we decided to do an early show on a night with two showings.

We walked over to Star Tours and the wait was like 30 minutes and the FP time didn't work with Fantasmic! I don't know if I've told y'all this yet, but we didn't wait for longer than about 10 minutes at any ride our entire trip. It was awesome! FPs, touring plans, and rope drop FTW!

So we headed down to Sunset Blvd.

It was really crowded! The waits for ToT and RnR were just nutty. RnR FPs were gone and ToT's return time didn't work with the Fantasmic! timing. We hung out for a while, much to Ezra's disapproval.

We noticed folks were starting to line up for Fantasmic! (this was probably an hour and a half early), so we jumped in line.

We were let in about an hour before showtime and got seats in the front/centerish.

Waiting for Fantasmic!

That wait was torturous. Ezra was ready to run around, so I tried to appease him with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse videos on my phone.

Finally the pre-show started and that was pretty cute. We really enjoyed it.

Oh and I managed to hold Audrey off on buying one of those ridiculously priced glow toys. I told her that if she was good while we waited, she could pick out a souvenir at a shop after the show.

Once Fantasmic! started Audrey was so excited. Her exact words were "I'm so excited, I'm gonna puke!!!!"

Ezra was pretty enthralled for about 5 minutes, then he fell asleep.

Y'all are not even going to believe the awesome pictures I got at Fantasmic!

Get ready it's going to blow your mind

So who thinks I should start a photography business?

We loved Fantasmic! I saw the Disneyland version in 2003 (from the balcony area above PoC...which was awesome!), but this one really blew me away.

We waited for the crowds to disperse before climbing up the bleachers, but even then it was stand still traffic trying to get out of there.

Eventually we found our stroller and headed back to Star Tours.

Along they way we saw a gift shop, and Audrey remembered my promise to get her a souvenir. She picked out a Rapunzel hat, which will make some appearances later.

We headed to Star Tours and it was a 10 minute wait, so Audrey and Daniel hopped on. This was one of Audrey's favorite rides, she could not stop talking about it.

At this point it was getting pretty late, but we decided to fit one more ride in.

The Great Movie Ride, which was slightly terrifying to me. I have a thing about animatronics. I know what you're thinking...she doesn't like animatronics but likes Disney World?!?!??!

It's not that I don't like them, it's just that when I get too close they give me the creeps. Sigourney Weaver in the Alien scene made me want to curl up in the fetal position and cry. Those shifting eyes.....ahhhhh.

Then I was uncomfortably close to a midget in the Wizard of Oz section.

I thought the GMR was bad, I had a rude awakening on Thursday......

Besides a slight case of the heebie jeebies, the GMR was enjoyable. We had the gangster scene, which was corny but cute.

After that ride, we headed for the exits. We were exhausted, and tomorrow we had some Mania! to get into.

First day recap...

Weather: Cool and cloudy, a quick rain shower in the morning, but nothing major....very nice!
Highs: Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safaris, and Fantasmic!
Lows: It's Tough to be a Bug meltdown, Hollywood Studios evening crowds, Great Movie Ride freaky animatronics

I really wish we would have been able to see more shows at AK, since this was our only day at AK. There's always next time right?

Next Update

Last edited by deannaf87; 04-22-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwobsessed! View Post
Subbing! What a great trip report so far! My boyfriend and my dad are both in the military and my dad has gone overseas twice so I know all about that
Glad you're here!

Old 04-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #23
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

A Thrilling Morning and Disney Jr!

Okay, be forewarned y'all, I forgot my camera in the hotel room this day. We are relying solely on phone pics, which there aren't too many of. Sad face

We woke up early and ate our in room cereal.

The Rapunzel hat makes it's first appearance. I'm not even exaggerating, two seconds after she opened her eyes that morning, she had that hat on.
We got to Hollywood Studios and walked on through the gates at about 9AM. We headed straight to Toy Story Mania.

The FP return time was already inching in on 11-12, but the standby line was reading 10 minutes. We hopped in the standby line and maybe waited 5 minutes.

Waiting in line. I loved this queue!

The ride was cute, but we really didn't see what all the "hype" was about. I probably would have had more fun had I not been holding Ezra and trying ot shoot at the same time. That thing spins kind of fast! I'd be shooting, then we'd start spinning and I'd have to grab onto Ezra really quick. We didn't feel the need to grab a FP for later or anything.

I don't remember my exact score, but I can tell you it was pret-ty bad.

After TSM, we headed to Sunset Blvd. It was time for some Mommy/Daddy thrill rides. Thank goodness for child swap!

I ran over to RnR and got us some fast passes.

Then we grabbed a child swap for ToT, and Daniel hopped in the stand-by line.

I went over towards the dump shop for ToT and was tempted by a ridiculously priced glazed donut. $3 for one donut? Okay, sure....

It was delicious, worth every penny hahaha. Too bad I had to share with the little food disposal named Ezra. Good thing he is cute.

While we waited for Daniel, I was trying to convince Audrey to ride ToT with me. She was apprehensive, but not totally against it.

When the time came for me to ride, she decided to stay back with Daniel.

I think she would have enjoyed it, had I just covered her eyes during the "scary" parts.

Next up it was return time for RnR. Audrey really wanted to go on it, but she was just a few inches shy. The CM told her to eat her vegetables and she'd be tall enough in no time.

Daniel went first. I always like to go second on the child swap since the second person gets to skip the standby line.

The kids while we were waiting for Daniel to ride.

Audrey was getting grumpy at this point and was begging to go on Star Tours again, so I promised her we would at some point that day.

I loved RnR. It was so awesome. I get so tense on roller coaster though. I'm definitely not the hands in the air kinda girl

I'm fairly certain the entire ride my leg was way over in my seat mate's personal space, sorry dude!

After RnR, it was about time for a Disney Jr. Live on Stage showing. I was really excited to take the kids to this. They love Disney Jr.

Remembering my earlier promise, I ran over to get FP for Star Tours before Disney Jr. started.

It was really starting to warm up at this point, the sun was bright. We were happy to escape indoor for a bit.

Waiting in line for Disney Jr.

This show was so stinkin' cute! Ezra was entranced. I have a video I will have to upload later. His face was just like "Are you seeing this? Mickey Mouse is right there, right there!"

Waiting for the show to start

Watching Disney Jr. Live on Stage!

Notice my husband creepin' in that picture? lol

Mickey and Friends

After singing and dancing along with Mickey, Doc McStuffins, Sofia the First, and Jake, we headed over to Star Tours.

I decided to ride this time since I missed out on it the night before. We redeemed our FP and were in our seats before we knew it.

Audrey loved this ride. She giggled the entire time. When it ended she said "THAT WAS DIFFERENT THAN LAST TIME!" Everyone got a good kick out of that.

After that it was time to grab some lunch (McDonald's ) and rest. We had a ADR that evening that I was very excited about.

Next Update

Last edited by deannaf87; 04-22-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #24
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

O'hana

We spent the afternoon resting back at the hotel. Then we got ready for our 4:50 O'hana reservation.

Since we stayed at Shades of Green, we weren't eligible for a dining plan. We opted to only make two ADRs and O'haha was one of them.

I had heard great things, and I knew my husband loved meat. Then you add in that the Poly was a quick 10 minute walk from SoG, and O'hana seemed like the perfect ADR.

I loved the Poly grounds, it was just so pretty and green.

We got our buzzer and we were called back to be seated in about 5 minutes.

Our server's name escapes me, but she was quite the grump. I had thought I read a TR about a grumpy O'hana server, but after scouring the boards I couldn't find it. So if you had a grumpy O'hana server let me know I'm not just imagining hearing this before.

We had a great table with a view of the lagoon, and we could see Cinderella's castle over the trees. This was REALLY exciting since we hadn't been to the Magic Kingdom yet.

Audrey waiting for some yummy food.

Audrey and Daniel enjoying some salad and bread

About this point my husband revealed something to me, he doesn't like sweet meat.

I was like "ummm you're in trouble".

He like the bread, salad, lo mein, and pot stickers, and tolerated the shrimp. He was NOT a fan of any of the other meat. Which is insane, because it was all delicious.

I was so proud of Audrey because she didn't order a kid's meal. She ate the regular meal like a champ.

Ezra had his favorite, mac and cheese! He ate SO MUCH mac and cheese on this trip. I kept calling him our WDW Mac and Cheese Connoisseur.

The best part of our meal was by far the desert. Oh my God, it was just so good. I think Audrey did order a kid's sundae at this point which she really enjoyed.

Let me show you how much Ezra enjoyed his ice cream....

Audrey really enjoyed the entertainment as well.

I think the "hula" lady, or cousin I should say, really annoyed my husband haha. He kept saying "why is she talking like that?".

I really enjoyed the meal, and think my husband is nutty for not liking all the meat.

He ate his weight in shrimp and noodles though, so we were all sufficiently stuffed.

We walked back to Shades of Green and decided to stay in for the night.

I snapped this picture of the front of SoG on our way back.

I was bursting with excitement for what tomorrow held; it was our first day at the Magic Kingdom!!!

Day 2 in Review
Weather: Sunny and warm. My least favorite weather day. I'm a cloud lover myself.
Highs: RnR, Disney Jr. Live on Stage, Audrey's love of Star Tours, O'hana bread pudding
Lows: My husband's hatred of O'hana, Audrey's refusal to ride ToT, grumpy O'hana server

Next Update

Last edited by deannaf87; 04-22-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #26
gatormommy07
Mouseketeer

I am loving your trip report!! I have laughed out loud repeatedly!! I really love when you said the thing about feeding "the sacrificial fruit cups" to "god of whine". I remember those days well!! Your family is adorable!! Tell your husband some random chic on the disboards says thank you for his service!! I can't wait to read more!!!
gatormommy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Signing on. I love first-time trip reports. Thank your hubby for his service, for me please!
Thanks for joining in

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatormommy07 View Post
I am loving your trip report!! I have laughed out loud repeatedly!! I really love when you said the thing about feeding "the sacrificial fruit cups" to "god of whine". I remember those days well!! Your family is adorable!! Tell your husband some random chic on the disboards says thank you for his service!! I can't wait to read more!!!
Hahaha thank you! With a 1 year old, can you really leave the house without a stock pile of sacrificial food?

Old 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #28
FlaNani
Mouseketeer

I am LOVING your TR!!! Keep writing..... Tell your husband THANK YOU for his service. And thank you for yours as well, I've heard it said "the toughest job in the service is being a wife."

FlaNani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #29
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNani View Post
I am LOVING your TR!!! Keep writing..... Tell your husband THANK YOU for his service. And thank you for yours as well, I've heard it said "the toughest job in the service is being a wife."
Thank you! Y'all are too kind!

Since you told me to keep writing, I'll be using that as an excuse to do another segment and put off cleaning my bathroom. The DISers need me, the soapscum can wait.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #30
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

A Rocky Start to a Great Day

The alarm went off at 6, and I was up and ready to go in no time.

We were going to the Magic Kingdom today!!!

We got ready and walked over to the Poly to catch the monorail.

One had just pulled up, so we hopped right on.

I'm not sure why Audrey looks so grumpy. I mean we were going to the Magic Kingdom...hello?!?!

That's a little better.

In no time we were at the bag check area

Guests without bags... one day I'll be one of those guest. Right now it's diapers, wipes, snacks, changes of clothes, sunblock, bandaids, etc., etc. etc.

The kids and I ready to explore the Magic Kingdom

We were one of the first families to arrive, and we hung out right before the tunnel area. The skies were getting darker and darker, and then BOOM! Big crack of thunder and the rain started pouring.

I decided to run over to the gift shop right by the tunnel area and get a few ponchos. While I was doing this, the CM let people into the tunnel to wait until opening and stay out of the rain.

Daniel and the kids got funneled up to the front inside the tunnel. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to get up there with them, but I didn't want to anger anyone by pushing through.

I ultimately decided to just wait at the back of the tunnel and catch up with them on Main Street once we were let in.

Wrong choice! Apparently Ezra was crying for mommy the entire time (about 20 minutes! )

I was just back there snapping horrible quality pictures while Daniel was dealing with an epic meltdown.

So by the time I caught up with them, Daniel was agitated and Ezra was red in the face. So our first walk up Main Street was kind of tainted. At least at this point it had stopped raining.

By the time we made it through Cinderella's Castle and to the rope area of Fantasyland, all was forgotten and we were happy campers again.

View of Cinderella's Castle while we waited for Fantasyland to open.

You see those strollers in the bottom, right corner? Those things were soaked!! I'm guessing they belonged to patrons at CRT and BBB. Those guests were definitely coming back to miniature lakes in their strollers.

Once they dropped the rope, we headed straight to Peter Pan and hopped right on. I loved that ride. It was just so cute. Audrey and Ezra really enjoyed it was well. Even Daniel will admit that it was fun!

After Peter, it was Winnie the Pooh time. We hopped right on that one too. The giant thunderstorm really helped us that day. The crowds were basically non existent.

With Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh under our belt, it was time to head on over to Frontierland for a soak and spin cycle (aka Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad). Stay tuned!

Next Update

Last edited by deannaf87; 04-23-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: