Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #31
disneyfan1992
Mouseketeer

Will the deer on the road be a problem in November? or is it just in the early spring?

We are trying to decide whether to drive straight through from MI too or stop halfway.
2000 - DLR
Me DH and now we are blessed with B/G Twins DS: DD:

disneyfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #32
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

We usually make Chattanooga our half way point. We've stayed at the Country Inns & Suites once. It was nice and provided space when the 5 of us were traveling. We didn't look for a deal on that one and I think it ran about $150 for the night so not exactly budget friendly. But we were tired, the kids were grumpy and it was 100+ degrees out so the car needed a break.

Last year, coming home, the 3 of us stayed at the Wingate. $70 a night, nice and clean with a mice breakfast. We used a coupon from one of the hotel books you can pick up at the rest areas. I matched the coupon with reviews from Trip Advisor. Lots of restaurants in the area and easy on and off 75.

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #33
3Leafs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan1992
Will the deer on the road be a problem in November? or is it just in the early spring?

We are trying to decide whether to drive straight through from MI too or stop halfway.
We seen a lot if deer on the road last November.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #34
michigandergirl
Earning My Ears

This is a great thread! We have yet to drive to Florida with the kids. I think we will hopefully be flying for our Thanksgiving trip, but we are thinking about a trip to Universal next spring, so we will definitely drive then. We want to take our time and maybe stop in Tennessee on the way down and maybe check out Mammoth caves on the way back.
michigandergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #35
jimbostacks
Earning My Ears

Lots of nice places in chattanooga, I beleive we stayed at a fairfield inn last Janaury. I drove down with my two youngest boys for the first time and we had a blast stopping at tourist spots along the way. We did Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga and left early in the AM, and then hit Stone Mountain near Atlanta. If we drive again, I would try to make to Atlanta and stay near Stone Mountain so I could walk around that site...very cool. Seemed like nothing to see between Atlanta and WDW. Good luck.
jimbostacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #36
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

What does this have to do with theme parks attractions
Old 04-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #37
richkaryn
Mouseketeer

We stayed at the Country in and Suites right off I-75 in Tifton, GA 2 years ago, and it was one of the cleanest hotels we have ever stayed in-- cleaner than a lot of higher priced ones we've stayed in. And we got a deal from hotels.com or hotwire or some site like that and stayed for $52. Apparently they have good coupons in the free travel books you can pick up along the way too.
March 2014- CBR DH, DS6, nephew 17, and myself
richkaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #38
fridayfun
Mouseketeer

We drive from Livonia and stop every time (twice a year trips) in Valdosta, GA. We stop at the Courtyard by Marriott each time. We leave around 5:30 am and get in between 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm depending on Atlanta traffic. Cracker Barrel is right around the corner for breakfast. Leaving for WDW by 8:30 am gets you there by noon with plenty of time to run around left in the day! We like doing that as opposed to the halfway stops!
9/00 - 3 days land (Poly), 4 days sea (Wonder); 9/01 WDW & Universal; 2002 - move to Motorcity; 9/03 - 8 days WDW (Yacht Club); Cruisetoberfest III - Oct. 2-9, 2004 (Magic); 9/05 - 6 days WDW (Contemporary Concierge); Cruisetoberfest IV (10/14/06); POR 2/14/07-2/21/07; SSR Jan 2008; 10/04/08 - Western Disney Magic + 3 days POR; 5/20-22 2009 1st trip to DL offsite ; Dec 2009 welcome home trip to WDW; Easter break 2010 Land/Sea with family!; October 2011 Surprise trip for 10 year anniversary and my 40th Bday!;Aug 2012 Disney Fantasy 7 day cruise!;Feb 21-24 Royal Family 5K girls only!

fridayfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #39
Jetta8300
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan1992 View Post

I think it's pretty bad any time of year from about midnight to 5am although this website says most accidents occur oct-dec. we had the worst of it in Southern ohio, west virginia, and virginia. But it was definitely very cool out when we drove. If you have to drive at night, I'd avoid these mountain areas during this time of night!

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/04/news/newsmakers/deer/
Jetta8300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #40
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

This thread really isn't about theme parks attractions and strategies, and is much better suited for the Transportation board. So I've moved it.

Brian_WDW74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #41
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post

I 75 is pretty long, any idea where you would stop?

What I do is put the trip into Google maps and then add a destination somewhere I think is halfway and move it up and down the route depending on how much I want to drive in the first or last day.

I then zoom into the stop and type hotel in the search bar and then look for large concentrations near the interstate. Exits with more properties will have more competition so better prices and more likely to have restaurants around.
When looking for places to stop this is how I do it, too. (Except I tend to do Mapquest.)
We are fans of Holiday Inn Expresses b/c we like their more expanded breakfasts.
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #42
DaniH
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_WDW74 View Post
This thread really isn't about theme parks attractions and strategies, and is much better suited for the Transportation board. So I've moved it.
Sorry Brian I wasn't paying attention to where I was starting it, duh! Thanks so much to everyone for all the ideas!!!!! I think we might try an earlier start & trying to make it to Georgia the first day so we don't have to drive as far the second day.

I never thought I would like driving better than flying but it makes things so much easier! You can pack EVERYTHING you think you will need and you don't have to worry about how you are going to get things home. I would only fly again if we were making a quick 3 or 4 day trip or if I got a REALLY good deal on airfare.

Oh, and thanks to everyone who pointed out proximity to Cracker Barrels because that is important (though you can't swing a cat down south with out hitting one ) It's one of the only places I know everyone will be happy!
DaniH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #43
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniH View Post
Oh, and thanks to everyone who pointed out proximity to Cracker Barrels because that is important (though you can't swing a cat down south with out hitting one ) It's one of the only places I know everyone will be happy!
To some families Cracker Barrel means vacation since for a long time there were very few here north of the Mason Dixon Line (just a little).

We now have one maybe 20 minutes away. I think they just don't acknowledge its existence.

Same with ihop.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #44
disneyfan1992
Mouseketeer

A sincere thank you for the warning about the deer on the road.

Has anyone stayed at Residence Inn by Marriott? Looking at one in Smryna, GA. The one in Macon does not have availablity for our special rate.

Just found an opening at Springhill Suites in Macon, GA. Assuming that is the SAFE side of town based upon information from a previous poster, right? Mapquest says: Take the US-23/GA-87/Riverside Dr exit, EXIT 171.

We would like a 1-2 bedroom not only for the space for the kids to move around after long long day in car, but also so we can separate the kids so they will actually go to sleep. We also would like a kitchen to cook dinner / have breakfast next morning.

I just found great reviews on Trip Advisor for a brand new Hampton Inn & Suites in TIFTON, GA. They don't have a 2 bedroom suite, but do have a suite with 2 king beds.

Do you think we could get that far in 1 day of traveling with 2.5 year old twins all the way down to Tifton, GA? Thinking we will leave from Metro Detroit area about 4am - 5am on a Saturday in November.
2000 - DLR
Me DH and now we are blessed with B/G Twins DS: DD:

Last edited by disneyfan1992; 04-25-2013 at 11:08 AM.
disneyfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: