DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
theguda
Mouseketeer

Many of you have seen my threads and I've decided to but a small (50 pt or so) contract. I'd love to buy BWV but I don't see many small contracts available...and the ones I do see are costing between $75-$85 per point.

I've read where many members bought within the last year and paid significantly less that that. But I'm not sure if these prices will continue to rise...or if they will come back down. If you think about it...on a 50 point contract the difference between $50 per point and $75 per point is $1000. So...is it worth it to pay a $1000 premium to get exactly what you're looking for? Thoughts? I'd like I k ow the per point cost members have paid recently for small BWV contracts.
theguda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguda View Post
Many of you have seen my threads and I've decided to but a small (50 pt or so) contract. I'd love to buy BWV but I don't see many small contracts available...and the ones I do see are costing between $75-$85 per point.

I've read where many members bought within the last year and paid significantly less that that. But I'm not sure if these prices will continue to rise...or if they will come back down. If you think about it...on a 50 point contract the difference between $50 per point and $75 per point is $1000. So...is it worth it to pay a $1000 premium to get exactly what you're looking for? Thoughts? I'd like I k ow the per point cost members have paid recently for small BWV contracts.
There haven't been very many small BWV contracts in the last year, so you will if one gets listed, you will see it in the $75-$80 range.some of us bought BWV in the early part of 2012 and were able to get the rock-bottom prices ($50 pp). But the supply of BWV contracts began to dry up and the prices have risen accordingly. No one can tell you if the extra $1000 is "worth it" to you. We have no idea why you specifically want BWV. Buying a DVC contract in this market has become much like buying a plane ticket: if you see a price you can live with, jump on it. But only you can figure out what price you're truly comfortable with.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
theguda
Mouseketeer

From what I've been told, before the economic downturn contracts at BWV and BC were commonly selling for more than $90 per point. I have no idea if that's true or not but if so, we're still in an environment where prices are below that...but rising quickly.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
....(snip)....So...is it worth it to pay a $1000 premium to get exactly what you're looking for? Thoughts?
It sure would be for me.

I want to stay in standard view villas during early December, Food & Wine Festival time and occasionally, Flower & Garden Festival time. I despise having to use waitlists, and am not a fan of split stays or room changes at the same resort. I want to book and forget it until it's time to pack.

We've owned since 1999 and I only need one hand to count the times we used points for something besides BWV at WDW That's because even when I get excited about another resort, when 7 months rolls around, I just can't give up that great location for something that costs more points! EPCOT & DHS are our favorite parks.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Well, we are adding on again (just signed contract yesterday) and are buying 50 HH points. I know we over payed, especially since it's a stripped contract. But, we only wanted 25-50 HH points with Aug UY and DH would not pay the $80/point or the new $115/point to go direct...instead we are paying $60/point (and sellers are paying $325 in CC...so really we are paying $53.50 for a stripped contract). We bought, in Jan 2012, two contracts at HH, 25 points and 50 points from same seller and paid $50/point-not stripped. But if we got a great deal this time too, say $47.50/point, that would only save us $300 and we would be at risk for ROFR by the mouse. Not worth it IMO. And I don't see too many $40-something HH contracts making it through ROFR.

Last edited by lovin'fl; 04-20-2013 at 11:44 AM.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

We just did a small add on at VGC to get home resort privileges as to get the flight prices we need to be able to buy at 7 months and we paid over $100 a point because we really wanted to own them.

Question you need to answer is how much is it worth to you.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Buying a DVC contract in this market has become much like buying a plane ticket: if you see a price you can live with, jump on it. But only you can figure out what price you're truly comfortable with.
Good advice.

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

Only you can decide what is the right number for you. Prices today are the highest I have seen in 3 1/2 years - I am always lurking the resales. I have full confidence they will go back down again it may take awhile but Disney will stop taking contracts when their demand (wait list) dies down. At 130.00 PP for a old resort - crazy. I could not even imagine paying 120.00 for BLT direct with being a new resort - we paid 108.00 and thought that was really really high (and it was at the time 4 short years ago)

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
theguda
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1228
Only you can decide what is the right number for you. Prices today are the highest I have seen in 3 1/2 years - I am always lurking the resales. I have full confidence they will go back down again it may take awhile but Disney will stop taking contracts when their demand (wait list) dies down. At 130.00 PP for a old resort - crazy. I could not even imagine paying 120.00 for BLT direct with being a new resort - we paid 108.00 and thought that was really really high (and it was at the time 4 short years ago)
Have you tracked pricing further back than three and half years? Again, I haven't seen the numbers, but from what I've been told resorts like beach and boardwalk, etc. were all selling for more than $90 per point before the recession hit. If that's the case then the prices today could still be depressed from a normal market. Then again, I could have wrong info and prices were never over $90 for those resort. I just don't have the info.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Have you tracked pricing further back than three and half years? Again, I haven't seen the numbers, but from what I've been told resorts like beach and boardwalk, etc. were all selling for more than $90 per point before the recession hit. If that's the case then the prices today could still be depressed from a normal market. Then again, I could have wrong info and prices were never over $90 for those resort. I just don't have the info.
Just make a decision to buy or not to buy & move on. It either is right for you or not. If you have to keep asking yourself a million questions for a small 50 point contract, then it probably is not right for you.
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
wordwitt
Mouseketeer

I don't know. I offered full price of 79/point on a loaded BWV 25 point contract. I'd considered offering less than 70, but thought that quibbling over $250 dollars seemed potentially counterproductive. A) I might have lost the contract at the offer stage and B)I might have lost the contract at the ROFR stage. That $250 was essentially my insurance. I think it's a sweet contract, and I'm completely happy with it. I know one of the sellers is deceased, so I plan on cherishing it.

Last edited by wordwitt; 04-20-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: clarification
wordwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
a742246
older than dirt

Five years ago BC was selling for around 89 a point, BW was selling for around 82 a point.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
RSWA2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So...is it worth it to pay a $1000 premium to get exactly what you're looking for?
If you are only looking at the value of $/pt, then I think most people here will point you to SSR.

But if it's worth to pay for what you want, that really is up to the buyer. Some people don't want to deal with waiting for a deal to get accepted, so they will buy whatever is there, some will buy direct.

Just weight the premium cost vs what you want and list out the pros and cons. Like with anything that has a varying cost, it's up to the buyer to determine what number works for that item.

To me, that price bump that you see is probably related to Disney raising prices, it may fall, but it may not.
RSWA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
babesboo99
Veteren Disney Vacationer

My Dh and I were going to go with 100 pt contract but decided to go with a 50 pt contract to start. And the reasoning for this is we will probably go every other year and with the banking and borrowing we will have enough pts but we do plan on adding onto our BCV contract we are buying direct . 1. so we don't have to wait as long 2. we are able to buy direct money wise this time. and 3. We would like the option of using the points elsewhere and for cruises. for us it was the right decision. I know for some it's not. Who knows maybe when we add on we might go resale it all depends on how we plan on using them.
babesboo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #15
wordwitt
Mouseketeer

I also wanted to point out that I called within 10 minutes of the listing being posted. I immediately said I wanted to make a full price offer, and the rep said, "Good, because I already have a few less-than-full-price offers on the listing that we haven't had a chance to convey."
wordwitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: