Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #31
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 90,390

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
Hey PrincessInOz and WanderlustNZ, after a few weeks how are you liking your MeFoto Backpackers?

I'm still waiting, over 3 weeks, for the orange to come in to my local camera store. They are getting multiple shipments a week and have gotten in at least one of every color except the orange.
Still no orange?? And here I am thinking it's not easy being green!



I'm really enjoying playing with the tripod. It's been cold and wet and I haven't yet taken it out for a major night time shoot yet. I took it to the beach and it held up pretty well in the breeze.

I haven't gotten used to the tripod head so I've decided to pull the pin on getting the Manfrotto head.

I'm waiting for July; when there will be fireworks on Friday nights in the city. That'll be my major night time testing period.
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #32
mikegood2
DIS Veteran
 
mikegood2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 519

Nope, not yet.

Really wasn't that much of a deal until this week. Amazon is still back ordered, one of their 3rd parties stores was out of start until a day or two. I want to help support my local store because I fell guilty that I've tried items there in the past only to buy it somewhere else. I think I'll give them till the weekend and decide then.

A Little less than a month away from my trip and want a few weeks time to play with it before our vacation.
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #33
mikegood2
DIS Veteran
 
mikegood2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 519

Well, I just placed an order from Amazon, 3rd party retailers who got 6 in this morning , and will have it Saturday! Gotta love Amazon Prime. My local store has two days for one to get in or they are out of luck.

The Orange RoadTrips are hard to come by. For the last few weeks Amazon, B&H and Adorama have been out of stock. Every other color has been in stock most of that time and my local dealer has also received every other color. I called MeFoto direct this morning and they said that the Orange has been very popular, and don't expect their next shipment until June. I'm sure I would have been fine with another color, but I wanted the Orange and it looks like O finally got it!
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #34
mikegood2
DIS Veteran
 
mikegood2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 519

Well I finally got my Orange MeFoto RoadTrip today and other than a few issues opening the package I am impressed with it, but realize that it will take a little getting use to.

When I first opened my package, I realized that the MeFoto box was making some noise, like something was loose. I carefully opened it up and out fell silica gel pellets from one of those small pouches that had ripped open. Luckily the tripod was OK but I did have to get a broom to clean up the kitchen floor.

As far as the tripod is concerned, my first though is that it was heavier than I imagined. The bag is nicely constructed and it fits in it nicely. It also has a nice strap and two loops that a carabiner could go thru. Once I unzipped the bag and saw the orange finish, I was happy that I waited for it It truly is a beautiful color.

When I opening it up it did felt overly stiff, not a complaint just an observation, but I'm sure it will loosen over time and I prefer it this way as opposed to feeling too loose. As far as folding out the legs, it does seem a little strange, but I'm sure that will change quickly. When fully opened its nice and sturdy. Strangely, it feels considerably lighter when it's up then when it's put away. It took me just under a minute to set it up and took around the same to put it away.

As far as the monopod is concerned, it will come in handy but takes about 45 seconds to put together and you then have to do something with the remaining legs. The head appears to be nicely constructed, but it will take a little while to get use to. The panning aspect is nice and smooth, but it would be nice to be able to tighten it a little more. Also, the three dials will take a little time getting use to.


<b>Pros: </b> Color, weight, sturdy, nicely constructed, small (when closed), monopod option, and nice full height ( I'm 6' 3" and only have to slightly lean down)

<b>Cons: </b> Weight when closed, takes awhile to setup, ball head screw requires a coin to tighten down completely, the part you have to remove to create the monopod doesn't attach anywhere and remains loose. Concerned it could get lost.
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #35
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 90,390

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
Well I finally got my Orange MeFoto RoadTrip today and other than a few issues opening the package I am impressed with it, but realize that it will take a little getting use to.

When I first opened my package, I realized that the MeFoto box was making some noise, like something was loose. I carefully opened it up and out fell silica gel pellets from one of those small pouches that had ripped open. Luckily the tripod was OK but I did have to get a broom to clean up the kitchen floor.

As far as the tripod is concerned, my first though is that it was heavier than I imagined. The bag is nicely constructed and it fits in it nicely. It also has a nice strap and two loops that a carabiner could go thru. Once I unzipped the bag and saw the orange finish, I was happy that I waited for it It truly is a beautiful color.

When I opening it up it did felt overly stiff, not a complaint just an observation, but I'm sure it will loosen over time and I prefer it this way as opposed to feeling too loose. As far as folding out the legs, it does seem a little strange, but I'm sure that will change quickly. When fully opened its nice and sturdy. Strangely, it feels considerably lighter when it's up then when it's put away. It took me just under a minute to set it up and took around the same to put it away.

As far as the monopod is concerned, it will come in handy but takes about 45 seconds to put together and you then have to do something with the remaining legs. The head appears to be nicely constructed, but it will take a little while to get use to. The panning aspect is nice and smooth, but it would be nice to be able to tighten it a little more. Also, the three dials will take a little time getting use to.


<b>Pros: </b> Color, weight, sturdy, nicely constructed, small (when closed), monopod option, and nice full height ( I'm 6' 3" and only have to slightly lean down)

<b>Cons: </b> Weight when closed, takes awhile to setup, ball head screw requires a coin to tighten down completely, the part you have to remove to create the monopod doesn't attach anywhere and remains loose. Concerned it could get lost.
Congrats. Nice summary of the pros and cons.

I bit the bullet and got me a manfrotto ball head. I'm still getting used to the set up but compared to my other tripod, this one is significantly lighter.
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #36
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 90,390

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post

<b>Pros: </b> Color, weight, sturdy, nicely constructed, small (when closed), monopod option, and nice full height ( I'm 6' 3" and only have to slightly lean down)

<b>Cons: </b> Weight when closed, takes awhile to setup, ball head screw requires a coin to tighten down completely, the part you have to remove to create the monopod doesn't attach anywhere and remains loose. Concerned it could get lost.

So it's been the better part of a month and I finally got another opportunity to take the tripod out for another drive last night. This time with the Manfrotto head. The Manfrotto head was a dream to work with compared to the MeFoto (not that it was bad to begin with).


What did I photograph?

It was Winter Solstice the last couple of nights and in typical Melbourne style, we had a festival to celebrate.








I have to say that I'm still all thumbs where the set up of this tripod is concerned. It takes me a while to set up with all the twist locks and everything. There just seems to be so many of those twisty things on each leg! Don't get me wrong....they are easy to twist and lock but I'm hoping that I get faster at this over time.


I love the weight and the ease of carrying this tripod around. I had a couple of people come up and ask me about the tripod last night.....the colour was what attracted them. It also helps that the MeFoto isn't readily available in Australia and so the colour really stands out.


With the crowds, the relative lightweight of the tripod made it very easy to carry it around and negotiate my way around bodies. And the height isn't so tall/long that I can't manage the occassional diagonal twist to make my way through people. I suspect that this will be a real bonus at a Disney park.



We should have fireworks being set off in July (every Friday in July). I'm planning on taking the tripod out for another test drive.


Hope those of you that got the tripod around the same time I did are also enjoying the use.



__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:57 AM   #37
mikegood2
DIS Veteran
 
mikegood2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post

So it's been the better part of a month and I finally got another opportunity to take the tripod out for another drive last night. This time with the Manfrotto head. The Manfrotto head was a dream to work with compared to the MeFoto (not that it was bad to begin with).
I think I may need to take a look at the Manfrotto head! Like you said, there is nothing wrong with the MeFoto head, it actually works well, but I'm still not use too which knob does what yet. I'm also left handed and as strange as this may sound, I wonder if its designed more for a right hander?


Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I have to say that I'm still all thumbs where the set up of this tripod is concerned. It takes me a while to set up with all the twist locks and everything. There just seems to be so many of those twisty things on each leg! Don't get me wrong....they are easy to twist and lock but I'm hoping that I get faster at this over time.

With the crowds, the relative lightweight of the tripod made it very easy to carry it around and negotiate my way around bodies. And the height isn't so tall/long that I can't manage the occassional diagonal twist to make my way through people. I suspect that this will be a real bonus at a Disney park.
I think I've had less problems with using the tripod than you have, but I know what you are talking about. I think I've come to the conclusion that it will take anywhere between 45 seconds to a minute to set it up.

As far as using it in the parks, other than the initial setting up it works very nicely. I found that when I was shouting at Epcot or the Magic Kingdom last week, I would keep it partially set up from place to place, but I did use two EMH nights focusing on shooting. Basically, I kept the camera attached and left two or three legs expanded and just walked from location to location. Worked out very nicely for me that way.

My bigger issue was that I was getting frustrated with people around me! I try to be courteous and thoughtful of others when using a tripod, but found more than a few people aren't the same way. I actually had a woman reach out for my tripod to move it! Luckily I stopped her before she did. Most of the people didn't bother me, but people who had dSLR's who walked right in front of the camera, or even worse, stopped to take a photo in front of my tripod did upset me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post

We should have fireworks being set off in July (every Friday in July). I'm planning on taking the tripod out for another test drive.

Hope you have good luck with the fireworks and let us know how that worked out for you. Sadly, I didn't get to shoot any fireworks like I hoped to. Random storms the first few days (didn't want to risk my gear) and a sick SIL and niece impacted to other nights towards the end.
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #38
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 90,390

Sorry you didn't get a chance at shooting the fireworks, mikegood2, and I hope that every is better now.





Took the tripod out for another outing last night. This is the 3rd real outing and I'm happy to report that my thumbs are certainly getting faster and more used to the twist locks.













Seems like I'll have a few opportunities to practise. The city council are extending the Friday night Fireworks in July activity all the way through August as well.
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #40
wiigirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,974

Great pics!
__________________
For the love of Disney...
wiigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.