Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
granpoobah
Earning My Ears

To Drive or Not to Drive

I am debating on if i should drive to Disney or fly. I live in Delaware and would take around 15hrs conservatively. Now my question is would i save money driving to disney with a family of 4 or would it be best to fly? I am in no rush to get there. I do plan on going to Sea World while im down there also.
granpoobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:27 AM   #2
cuteduck223
Mouseketeer

We drive from Illinois (17 hours-conservatively). For 3 of us (2 adults, 1 child) we still save money driving...if you can afford the time to get there and back. We usually pack a picnic dinner...and eat in the car. Sometimes driving straight through, other times stopping to rest.

The formula i always use is = 1200 (distance) x 2 + 200 (getting lost, exploring) = 2600 % mpg (again, exaggerated...usually i say 24) x $4.5 (i always add 1 dollar to current gas prices). With that--im still under $500. Anything left over i use to start our next fund. even adding in a hotel on the way down/back keeps it at about 650-700. We rarely stop on the way down.

Driving requires a bit more planning, but it gives you a few freedoms too.

First trip: 1989 -off site (but hey, I was 10!)
1991-Fort Wilderness
1997-Fort Wilderness
2000-Fort Wilderness
2002-All-Star Movies
2008-Pop Century
2011-Fort Wilderness
2012-September-Fort Wilderness
New Years 2012-AK Lodge
2013- July - Pop Century
Next trip: New Years 2013-Port Orleans Riverside!
cuteduck223 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
granpoobah
Earning My Ears

i want to drive straight through, with the occasional rest stop and fuel, i'll have kids sleep in car. I just hope that when i arrive i am not exhausted and waste a whole day sleeping and miss some of the day. Hopefully save some money not stopping for rest.
granpoobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:48 AM   #4
tantoria2
Earning My Ears

We are at here now and drove 14 hours over 2 days ( we had to leave late in ghe afternoon or we would have driven straight through) I would absolutely build in a rest day after arrival from now on. I felt like we were dragging the first 2 days
tantoria2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #5
magicbob
DIS Veteran

I've driven from northern VA and MD several times. I'm used to driving 8 hours and enjoy driving generally. We stop at an inexpensive but nice clean hotel in GA just before the FL state line. That way, the next morning it's just a few hours drive to get to the resort before lunch and get checked in. Then spend of the rest of the day relaxing and hit the parks the next day. I also like the freedom of having my car with me. If we fly in the future, cost of a rental car would also have to be figured in for us.

Ratatouille, the Ride!

magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
disneynanacat
Lovin' Disney Too!

We're in Kentucky so it's about a 12hr drive. I've flown mostly but drove a couple times. We're driving in October. There's 4 of us and flights are outrageous. I'm still not sure if we will drive straight thru or stop for a night and break it up. Depends on how early my DGD and her boyfriend gets off work on Friday. If early, we leave Friday afternoon. If late, early early early Saturday morning.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
kaybird
DIS Veteran

When we had the kids at home we nearly always drove, and usually straight through. (for us, a 24 hour drive) Our rule of thumb is if there are more than 2 of us, it is cheaper to drive. More so now that most airlines charge for baggage. Once we get there however, the car is parked for the duration, and we enjoy having Disney drive us!

kaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
MEK
DIS Veteran

Hi fellow Delaware resident. I understand your dilemma because for the first time EVER we are supposed to drive in June. And now my DH is having second thoughts.

I do want to tell you that we just got back from a drive to the Disney's resort in HHI. It took us about 10.5 hours. We took 301 across the Bay Bridge and continued on it to just north of Richmond which is picks up 95. I have used this route before and it really avoids all potential traffic nightmares around DC. It has some lights initially, but also plenty of Wawas for a food/gas/coffee/bathroom stops. Then it actually gets pretty rural and dare I say scenic. We were able to hit the NC welcome center in 4 hours with one stop.

Good luck in your decision. I know some people drive all night. I can't do that. Our plan was to stop in Brunswick Georgia the first night and drive the rest of the way in the morning.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
Lbachelot
Mouseketeer

We drives from Texas, about 14 hours! With two kids for 8 days I pack way to much to be able to fly!

1995 FW, 1997 The Cabins at FW, 1999 Off Site with HS Band, 2001 ASM, Jan. 2012 POR (DD's First Trip), Dec. 2013 POFQ (DS's First Trip), Oct. 2014 AoA (Mommy/Daughter Surprise Trip)

Lbachelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
disney-akj
DIS Veteran

When we drive, it is about 15 or 16 hours for us. We always leave as soon as we can the evening before (about 4 usually). Then we drive a lot that night (usually 9 or 10 hours- always through Atlanta at least to avoid morning rush hour). Then we find a motel to get a few winks. Then the next morning we do not have as long to drive and are more rested to enjoy the parks. For a family of 5 we usually save a lot of money flying (At least $1000, but usually more). When we could purchase cheaper flights and the saving was only about $500, then we would fly. We never find deals like that anymore sadly.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

We live in Ohio and choose to drive, 14-15 hours for us, usually. We have flown twice, but flying is way more of a hassle for us than driving. For one thing, we are about 2-1/2 hours from the airport. If we drive, we can take whatever we want, no worries about suitcase weight, etc. however, we are fortuante to be able to take 10-12 days, so the drive doesn't take away vacation time. We usually leave in the afternoon after school and drive straight through. We also like being on our own schedule; on our last day, if we want to get up, have breakfast and hit the road, we can. If we decide we would rather hit a park for a few hours or several hours, we can.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
2DisPrincesses
DIS Veteran

We drive from Michigan. We have flown a few times, but driving saves us a ton of money (there are 4 of us). We would have to also rent a car if we flew because DH doesn't like to be without one-he refuses to rely on Disney transportation only.

We drive strait through and take turns sleeping/driving while the girls sleep from about 10-6. We are renting a minivan this fall as the girls are getting bigger and we want the space, but its still a big money saver.

2DisPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
bennifer
Mouseketeer

We almost always drive from Western PA. My DH said no way this year, so we are flying...blah. It's too expensive and I hate that every week there is another story about flights being anti family/anti kids. I'm actually thinking about letting him fly separately and I'll drive down with DS!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

We drive from Minnesota straight through. Takes about 24 hours. We had a 3 year old- he did fine. We have a minivan. It costs us $600 round trip for gas. BIG comparasion as to what airfare would of cost. Long drive but worth over $1,000!!!! (we had 6 ppl)
Old 04-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #15
Mariannekay
Now, think of the happiest things. It's the same as having wings.

I wish I could afford to fly, it just makes more sense financially to drive! It takes us about 11 hours...we leave around 5:30 am CST, grab lunch on the road, arrive around 5:30 pm EST. We check into either a DTD hotel or value for the night. Grab dinner at DTD and stretch our legs a bit, turn in early, head to CSR in the morning for early check in and then off to the parks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: