Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #61
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

I would never push my third grader around in a stroller. If they were so tired that they were whining, we would take a break.

Imagine taking a picture of your child in a stroller and then passing it around at his next t ball game. I Imagine most kids would be embarrassed to be seen in one.

Last edited by okeydokey; 04-21-2013 at 05:12 PM.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #62
ain0004
Mouseketeer

We have taken our sit and stand every trip. But found out we didn't need it this last trip. It is more of a connivence for holding our crap than the kids needing it. We won't be taking it this year and our kids are 5, 8 and 10.. I don't hold judgment our oldest DD has health issues and needed a stroller up until this year, whatever is best for you and your family.
ain0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #63
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Crazy. I would hope that my 8-year old would not want to be in a stroller. And I'd rather be working on getting his/her stamina up, so that the issue never comes up.

I'd be too embarrassed to rent one. If he can't walk, and is healthy, I'd be heading back to the hotel. I'd rather waste the money. It would be worth it if he learns a lesson, which is that he should be able to walk, and that he is out of shape.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #64
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Pushing around 7 or 8 year olds is not on my bucket list.
ilovemk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #65
meddockian
Earning My Ears

My son will be 5 for our trip in December and we will definitely have a stroller for him. We spend all day in the parks though - 8am or so to 8pm. He only made it about 2 hours last time before he just started to wear down and complain about walking. Honestly, I felt better having him in a stroller because I knew where he was in all of those crowds.

DL 2003 - WDW 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge - DL 2012
meddockian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #66
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislyn11 View Post
I will admit it - I rented a stroller last year for my 7 year old. I couldn't deal with the whining. I considered it again for a brief moment for my now 8 year old for our upcoming trip. Am I crazy?
If you have to ask if the child is too old or too big, then yes he is too old or too big. It is known as stunting your childs independence.
There are several articles about it, here is one: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...ry?id=13597874

Though the American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't have official guidelines for when to stop using a stroller, Shu says that "kids should be transitioning out of a stroller at around three years old."

Also a blogger.
http://toobigforstroller.tumblr.com/

Last edited by 4kids4karen; 04-21-2013 at 07:23 PM.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #67
2DisPrincesses
DIS Veteran

My youngest just turned 4 and we will be taking one in the fall. She doesn't use one at home, but we plan on staying in the Parks all day for the first time ever and figure she may need a break (and I'm not carrying her). We also want it for the crazy exit at closing- safer and faster.

If other people want to judge, so be it. It's a pity they would spend all that $$$ to worry about other people rather than enjoy their own family on vacation!

2DisPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #68
samacita
Mouseketeer

I would never criticize anyone else's decision, but I wouldn't do a stroller for an 8 yo. We are considering a single stroller to use for DS3 and DS4mos. But the expectation will be clear that the stroller is not for DD7. I doubt she'll even ask to sit in it, really. We are not commando style tourists, anyway, so we can go at the kids' pace without a problem.

Good luck on your decision! You know your kid best and will make it work no matter what you choose.
samacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #69
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislyn11 View Post
I will admit it - I rented a stroller last year for my 7 year old. I couldn't deal with the whining. I considered it again for a brief moment for my now 8 year old for our upcoming trip. Am I crazy?
Well, it certainly is your decision, but we just got back from Disney Friday and we saw more strollers with older children. Also, there were more whiney/crying kids in strollers than those that were walking. Maybe the walkers were more physically/mentally conditioned to deal with the tiredness beforehand. Being in a stroller riding was not making them happy.

We have been going to Disney for years, and my dh & I commented to each other that used to when you saw double strollers, it usually meant twin babies/toddlers. Now, in a lot of cases it meant two children well over the toddler stage.

Personally, if I wanted to take a stroller for an older child, the last place I'd ask advice is on the Dis. Just do what *you* want to do.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #70
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

Our cut-off age was 4. Once you reached 4, you walked!

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #71
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

When we go to Disneyland, we usually spend all day at the park. I do bring a double stroller for my 4 and 2 year old, but I often ditch it in certain areas so that we can power walk from ride to ride. If any of my four girls complained or whined about walking, I would not bring them anymore. No one is forcing them to go and I definitely would not be spending my time trying to push them in a heavy stroller.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #72
yeartolate
My toaster can pop more toast per hour than your toaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellrj View Post
Our cut-off age was 4. Once you reached 4, you walked!
That sounds about right. If my son was too tired to walk...we went back to the hotel to unwind...then go back at night. Never really understood commando touring with little ones.

On a side note, part of the problem with older able bodied kids in strollers is that they frequently WANT to walk. Then they want to push the stroller. And NO, your little one is not "cute" when they bloody our heels while pushing the stroller.
yeartolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #73
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

We had a Sit-n-Stand type stroller when our kids were 5 and 1.5 and that was the last time our oldest rode in any type of stroller. The next year when he was 6, he walked. Our youngest had his first stroller-free trip last year at 6, also. When he complained about being tired, my husband would take him and sit on a bench for a minute while our older son and I would continue walking. I'd usually hear running footsteps coming up behind me within 30 seconds. We took plenty of breaks as a family.

I never understand the anxiety about losing the stroller = losing the place to tote stuff. We just don't take that much stuff with us. I'm still trying to figure out how I can lose the bag entirely.

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #74
momontheright
Mouseketeer

I would say yes. If your kid is old enough to text then a stroller is definitely out of the question. I hate using a stroller in Disney so I was glad when DS who is my youngest was able to walk at 5. We take lots of breaks and I can't imagine how people sat in the park all day as an adult it would make me crazy so I can only imagine how a child feels being dragged around all day.

Last edited by momontheright; 04-22-2013 at 01:49 PM.
momontheright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #75
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
Pushing around 7 or 8 year olds is not on my bucket list.
No kidding! My kids had far more energy than I did when they were that age!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: