Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
jlk806
DanceDisneyGirl

Back from 12 day trip! WLV & BCV!

We (me, DH, DS5) returned a few days ago from our 12 day trip, 4 nights WLV, 7 nights BCV (we are DVC).
A mini-review/highlights

Wilderness Lodge Villas:
We had studio 3505, which is a very quick walk to and from the main building, etc. We got lucky, the hallways are very long and can end up with quite a hike if trying to run down to fill your mug or grab something from gift shop. Studio was in great shape, the designs/theme of the room a little old-fashioned and tacky we thought, but the room was in good shape and clean. The bathroom we thought was quite small, smaller than our bath at the BCV. My ONLY complaint about staying in a studio, is you do not get 2 beds You get one queen bed (which was quite comfortable) and one pull out sofa (not so much).
- Boat service was great and we used several times, to get to FW for Mickey's Backyard BBQ, and to the Contemporary for Chef Mickey's. There was never a wait for a boat.

- Bus service, eh. Not the best of our trips (at either of the 2 resorts we stayed at). We seemed to get buses quickly from the resort, but ended up waiting a long time at the parks a few times. At MK we waited 25 min for a bus (late afternoon), and at HS we waited 20 minutes in the POURING rain (under the barely covered stop) midafternoon.

Pool: we only used once, and mostly the kiddie pool - we were only here 4 nights and it seemed every time my son wanted to go, they'd close the pool for lightning in area.

BEACH CLUB Villas:
OUR TRUE HOME
The Wilderness Lodge is a great resort, but the Beach Club is it for us! We stayed there last year 4 nights (all we could get) but this year were thrilled to get 7. We LOVE the beach club. Though the bus service was not the best (Downtown Disney was such a disaster that we only went once during trip - the bus stops at FIVE resorts each way, and we waited at the DD stop for a bus back for 35 minutes mid-afternoon.)

The Beach club is so beautiful and cheerful, the pool is AMAZING! Our son loves the pool there so much he often chooses it over going to a park. And who can blame him, the pool is endless. He fell in love with the kiddie water slide and me and DH took turns trying the big slide (which was fun). We ABSOLUTELY had to make time for the pool every day, and often could not get him out of it!

- It takes less than 5 minutes to walk from our room to Epcot's back entrance! We often walked over to Epcot for a drink at night when we werent doing anything else, and a couple times while spending the day at the pool, Id run over to get us a QS lunch from the World showcase!

Restaurants We Ate At:

CRT - Breakfast - Even though he's a boy, our son loves the castle. Though he's not overly interested in the Princesses, he smiles and takes pictures with them, and he loves the sword they give him. Food was good too.

Mickey's Backyard BBQ - a favorite of ours (did last year also). Though we were there in late August both times, and despite reviews from others about it being uncomfortably hot, we didnt find this to be the case. Yes, it was hot outside, but we were never uncomfortable there are fans, and there was a slight breeze this time. We thought the food was fresh & great (and everything on the buffet was safe for our nut-allergic son). The included beer and wine is great too. Our son is on the shy side so he didnt want to get up and dance with the characters, but he did dance some at our table and he enjoyed all the entertainment.

Chef Mickeys - did both breakfast and dinner here during trip, both were great. We had great service, loved the character interaction and the food was very good both times.

Coral Reef - we got to sit right next to the tank! That kept our son busy and he loved it so much and it is so cool to see sharks and sea turtles and stingrays right next to us while we eat. Have eaten here many times, service is always slow, but food good, and atmosphere awesome.

Ohana - Dinner - another fav! My favorite food on WDW property. I just love the food here. My husband esp. loves the wings & dumplings, I love the chicken, shrimp and noodles. And dessert. All awesome. Only complaint this time is we got stuck at a table RIGHT where they do the entertainment. So standing right next to our table while we are trying to eat were tons of kids batting coconuts around on the floor, singing, dancing, etc. It was annoying. Though I know its part of the restaurant experience, and though we have never participated we never found the entertainment annoying before. I just didnt like having all those people right next to and even bumping into our table while we were eating. Next time will definitely request a table away from there.

Tony's - we had one of the 1st dinner reservations here and service was super fast. We had barely ordered and the food was on our table. Thats ok with us, though all these days in a row at restaurants, our son isnt gonna sit still nicely forever so we prefer to get the food quicker.

La Hacienda - great! We were among the first in the restaurant, great service and thought the food was excellent. Everything we tried tasted great!

Hollywood & Vine (Breakfast) - great! The character interaction here was really great this year, it was a slow morning in the restaurant we actually showed up 30 min early for our res and were seated right away. The characters came around 2-3 times and the food was great.

1900 Park Fare (Dinner) - the food here was the best of any of the buffets of this trip, we thought. Excellent choices of food. The chef who came out to talk to us about our sons allergy and what he could have, made him a plate of special nut-free desserts which he was really excited about. The character interaction here is cute too.

Be Our Guest (Dinner) - AWESOME! Yes, I made the res 180 days in advance. We were seated quickly, in the beautiful main ballroom. The food & service were excellent (I believe I had salmon) and my son loved it. The cupcakes there were safe for him (the chef made him one without the sprinkle candy on them, but it was the first time at Disney this trip he got a chocolate cupcake WITH frosting). It was a great experience.

Garden Grill - another one we love, the food was (as always is) excellent, and the character interaction is great.

Rainforest(AK, Lunch) - we love rainforest, the food is always good and its a fun atmosphere.

That pretty much sums it up. Great trip, sorry to be back. We are going back in December for a quick 4 day trip since we never got to do the Merry Christmas party or see the lights, but since our points are used up for now, we have AP's and are trying to spend as little as possible on the trip we are staying at POP. Hopefully we wont miss the BC TOO badly, since it probably wont be as warm maybe swimming wont even be an option, so we wont miss the pool.
Pop Century April 2006 - Pop Century August 200 - Pop Century September 2009 - Pop Century/Animal Kingdom Villa Kidani - Aug/Sept 2010!! - Last minute girls trip Caribbean Beach - July 2011! - Pop Century / Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - Aug/ Sept 2011!! - Art Of Animation / Beach Club Villas / Kidani Village- Aug/Sept 2012!
Wilderness Lodge Villas/Beach Club Villas - Aug 2013!!
Pop Century - Quick Pre-Christmas trip - December 2013!
Beach Club Villas - June 2014 leading up to Disney Cruise July!

jlk806 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: