Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Doc2000
Earning My Ears

Exclamation Advice Wanted about Cruising!

Calling all experts!

Last year we went on the Magic from NYC to the Bahamas....we loved every minute of it!

We are now considering a new cruise: The Wonder to Alaska in August or The Fantasy to the Caribbean in August!

We are mostly concerned about the weather, particularly in Alaska -

Could anyone comment? Make recommendations! Let us know your experience?

It would be greatly Appreciated!

Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
noahdove
DIS Veteran

Mu husband has talked about going to Alaska so I am interested as well...

noahdove is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

We did Alaska the last week in August and it was great! Sunny and warm most days (that can vary though and layers are a plus). Alaska has been our favorite trip though! The ports, the scenery just blew us away.

The Carribbean is great but Alaska was a real adventure!
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

I did the Alaskan Cruise in 2011 the first week in August and it was a high in the 50's. I had a great time and just dressed in layers. Yes, it is a different type of cruise than the Carribbean. Even though the pools are heated, you won't be in them and the sun may not be shining. However, the scenery makes up for that! If you can swing it, get a room with a verandah. That way you can stay in your room with the drapes open and watch the scenery go by. When you want to take a picture, you go out on your balcony--snap the picture--and go back inside. Otherwise, you have to sit in one of the common areas or up on deck in the cold to see the scenery while the ship is cruising.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Most people have the same problem as I did. Alaska cruise = Cold, Snow, Icebergs, wild anamals... That was not the case. I loved Alaska but it was not what I expected. Here are my highlight thoughts after doing both.

The Wonder to Alaska: You are on a ship just like the Magic. So the ship will be the same but you will see lots of beautiful scenery. Your excursions will be to see things and not so much to do things.

The Fantasy to the Caribbean: This is the new ship with lots more people. Most of the time you will not notice the extra people. On the new ship you will get larger and nicer kids areas and adult areas. The excursion will be the Caribbean and will be a lot like you seen in the Bahamas. Your excursions will be more things to do and not so much things to see. We did see the Maya ruins.

My Advice: You have experienced a Classic Disney ship. Go experience the New Disney ship and save Alaska for your 3 cruise.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

We did Alaska in Mid August. Our day in Juneau it was 72 and the first time above 70 that summer.

Tracy Arm - was chilly and overcast, but with layers of coats was fine (DW is a very cold person and she survived). We were up on Deck 10 for most of the cruise in and back out. Outlook Cafe (adults coffee shop on Deck 10 above the pool) was very convenient to pop into to get a warm drink and to warm up a little.

Skagway - Overcast but not to cold - probably in the upper 50's

Ketchakan - It's a rain forest and they expect rain 364 1/2 days a year. We didn't even get misted on. Was a very nice day - zipping between the trees.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
kiddisney
DIS Veteran

hi - we did alaska in 2011 - mid july - and while the tracey arm day was cold - skagway was sweatshirt weather (i'm always cold) and by the time we got to ketichkan i was only wearing a t-shirt and got a sunburn - there was so much to do that we didn't use the pool that often - but the kids did use it - not as much as they would have on a different itinerary - but they did go

anyway - we loved alaska so much that we're made reservations for this year - we did have to change it because of my kids schedules - so we moved it to next year - but alaska is so worth going - so much so that you'll want to go back a second time & see everything you missed because there's so much to see & do

one thing about our trip - we needed two rooms - so we got one inside & one with a porthole - it was great on the tracey arm day - we got room service & was able to sit right at the window and see everything - cove cafe was so crowded & i needed someplace to bring my 5year old - so the room & the sports bar were great with their big 'windows' - and we stayed comfortable the whole time

wdw: '83,'85-'86,'88-'89,'91-'93,'95,'97-'99,'02-'03, '05-'06, '08 -'14 (30 visits & counting - 10 trips in 13 months to visit dd: wdw imagineering intern & ds: wdw cp)
dl: '82,'87,'95
dcl: '98,'99,'00,'02,'03,'04 ... '11,'12,'14 (dbl dips gives us platinum)

kiddisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

We did Alaska, 8/23/11. It was rainy. The only really cold day was Tracey Arm. We spent most of the time on Deck 9 and 10. Had many layers on.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
Jillscabanastories
Earning My Ears

I would say Alaskan cruise is a must see. We have went on two, and last summer was on the Wonder. It's unforgettable. I would definately see Alaska first.
Jillscabanastories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
DisneyForLife
DIS Veteran

An Alaskan cruise is amazing to say the least. The scenery is breathtaking. We went the first week in June and had very nice weather, only needed a fleece jacket.
It really is a matter of preference, they are totally different experiences. But having said that........I would pick Alaska in a heartbeat
DisneyForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
kgsmith
DIS Veteran

We were on the 08-16-2011 cruise to Alaska. I'd do again in a second. It rained in each port, but it wasn't a cold rain. We layered, but most of the time I just needed a raincoat with a sweatshirt underneath.

kgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: