Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #16
robhawk
DIS Veteran

Last cruise I didn't have my phone. I was lost without knowing what time it was. Now I realize how much I look at my cell for the time! Next year definitely buying a cheap watch!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
disjest8
Proud Parent of 8

Absolutely! I agree with some of the other posters, the only time I wear a watch is on a cruise. As a matter of fact, I've purchased several $10 RCCL watches because I forgot to take one.
disjest8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Retired No Watch

I retired 2008 first thing i did take watch off.

First. Cruise channel has ships time on in it in every room, map of were you are, speed, and more.

Daughter use iphone camera, she put phone on airplane mode.

The rest of us dud out old watches and went to Walgreens and got new batteries. Did Disney tour in Grand Cayan so did not worry about time. It was great trip on island and swim with the string rays.

COZEMEL we just went shopping and were with in 1/4 mile of ship at all times. Watches crew do actual life boat drill with port side boats as we were shopping. They had crew act as passengers and lowered boats to water. Remember that 3 crew members were killed this year on British cruise ship doing this drill.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #19
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

OP, are you going on a cruise by yourself? Then, you may not want to wear a watch. But, if you are going to go with others, how are you arrange to meet up with your fellow travellers? Are they going to wait for you everywhere?
Old 04-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

I too only wear a watch on cruises. I was always looking at my watch to make sure we weren't late for excursions, dinner, shows, etc. While it is a vacation, everything is at a specific time and you don't want to miss anything, especially getting back on the ship before it leaves you behind.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #21
trish.
Mouseketeer

I never wear a watch.

My son received a very kid friendly digital Cars watch in our FE and I wore that thing the entire cruise. haha.
trish. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #22
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

My DT got me a water proof watch years ago and its metal so its not completely ghetto looking.

We always, always, always have people stop and ask us what time it is on the cruise. I'm always happy to tell them.

If you think ahead, you might not be one of them.
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #23
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Yes, take a watch. There is something happening every half hour, plus meals are scheduled at specific times, plus you can't be late for excursions...Also, the time changes every day, to be on "ship time" what ever that is.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #24
nordway
Earning My Ears

I brought mine, never wore it...used the wave phone for time. Also, there are two clocks hanging on Deck 11 over the pools on the fantasy. It seemed the only time we wanted to know the time was when we were by the pool.
nordway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #25
neg58
DIS Veteran

On my first cruise I bought a watch, on my second my daughter bought a watch. There just aren't enough clocks in the theaters, MDR, spa, etc. and suddenly it would be 45 minutes later than I thought. Especially at dinner, the time just goes by and suddenly it's 10 pm and you are still sitting there. Once I had a watch, I could ask for the next course or coffee or something to speed the meal along.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #26
Stinkerbell1973
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordway View Post
I brought mine, never wore it...used the wave phone for time. Also, there are two clocks hanging on Deck 11 over the pools on the fantasy. It seemed the only time we wanted to know the time was when we were by the pool.
It's so funny that you mention these clocks on the pool deck; I didn't even notice them until Thursday of our 7 day. HAHA.

We did buy cheap Timex watches that were water resistant for this trip. We don't wear watches either, but I have a watch line on my wrist from my "tan". It was definitely nice to have. We had spa appointments, hair braiding appointments, character meet & greets, specific things DD wanted to do at kids club, so to us they were a worthy investment.
Just my 2 cents.....

Oct 08, Oct 09, Sept 10, Feb 11, Sept 13, Sept 14 - Ft. Wilderness | Mar 11 - All Star Sports | Sept 11 - Pop Century
Dec 11 - Christmas at Fort Wilderness | Feb 12 - Coronado Springs | Oct 12 - Paradise Pier (Disneyland) | Dec 12 - Port Orleans French Quarter | Dec 13 - Caribbean Beach

Disney Fantasy - Apr 2013, Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic - May/June 2014, Mediterranean

Girl's Weekend! - Yacht Club, Nov 2014
Thankful to be going back to the Fort! - Fort Wilderness, Thanksgiving 2014
Reunion with friends from UK we met on our Med cruise - Apr 15
Stinkerbell1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #27
mdurette
DIS Veteran

Absolutely you need a watch.
I actually made it a point to look for clocks on the Fantasy - none.
mdurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #28
dunnhorn
I'd rather be at Castaway Cay

YES your whole party needs waterproof watches

Like you, I also gave up wearing a watch years ago when I started becoming glued to my cell phone. There was always a clock in my car, my house, my office, my phone - why have one on my wrist?

Well - I realized that on a cruise a watch is NECESSARY. It is helpful to have one to set meeting times, shopping times, etc. The good news is that you can circumvent it slightly with the wave phone... but it makes it much easier if everyone has a waterproof watch. That way, you can also keep track of time on your excursions. We had to do that on our Oasis cruise last week and remind the tour operator when we had to be back on the ship!

HTH

Leslie Ann
Me, DH, DS 12, DD 10

DVC Homes: SSR, HH, BLT, BWV, VWL
Resorts visited: Every WDW resort except for Coronado and Art of Animation. I am boycotting the Poly due to lack of hot tub.

4 day Disney WONDER May '09.
4 day Disney DREAM April '11.
7 day Disney FANTASY Western May '12.
7 day RCCL OASIS OF THE SEAS Eastern April '13
4 day Disney MAGIC March'14

Looking forward to the DVC MEMBER CRUISE on the Disney DREAM in 8/14, and a 7 day ALASKAN cruise on the Disney WONDER in June '15.
dunnhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #29
Macmaro
Mouseketeer

Our little one spends a lot of time in the kids clubs so we always have a wave phone with us while on board.

We have our phones when off the ship.

I used to take a watch but never again.
Macmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #30
vcunning
Mouseketeer

This OP appreciates all the feedback. We are going with another family, so we may not all be together at the same time. My wife nd my oldest son sleep with watches

So my final decision . . . With all the kind feedback here and the fact we're spending a bazillion $ anyways on the cruise/vacation, I invested in a $15 Timex water proof watch. I think $15 gets lost in the rounding somewhere.

Thank you for all your feedback.
vcunning is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: