Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
vcunning
Mouseketeer

I know it's a silly question . . . but do I need a watch on board?

I quit wearing watches about 20 years ago when I had either a pager or cell phone attached to me all the time. Since the iPhone will most likely go in the safe (with the exception of a few panoramic pictures), do I need to know what time it is on the ship?

I think $15 gets me a waterproof Timex, but I'll probably only wear it for the length of the cruise.
vcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Not a silly question, I'd say yes. iPhone goes in the safe and while you can ask a CM the time there are hardly any clocks onboard. They want you to relax and have fun but sometimes I just want to make it to the movie on time.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
bahacca
Mouseketeer

If you have kids in the clubs and are going to be doing a lot of the scheduled activities, I would have one. I looked at mine all the time. I do think the on board phones had the time on them, however if you plan to carry one of those. Just doesn't work off the ship.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
missyp
Mouseketeer

I would say yes. I never wear a watch, I didn't carry a purse on board and I put iPhone in safe. I kept asking people what time it was so I could meet my kids, make it to activities, etc. can't hurt to bring one. We ended up buying my 10 year old one on board after he lost his wave phone. We found the phone but I think it was better for him when we bought him a watch. We only had one day left and we didn't want to give him back the phone

DCL Wonder- 04/14
DCL Dream- 02/13
missyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Have you seen the recent thread about people missing the ship after port excursions? Better set that watch a little fast while you're at it!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
klepton
Mouseketeer

If it's just on the ship, you may not need one because the WAVE phones have the time on them. That's of course assuming you'll carry around a wave phone. I needed to carry one anyway, so I used that for time.

That said, I highly recommend a waterproof watch to take into port. Make sure it's set to ship's time too. Definitely don't want to come back late and find your boat gone.
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Have you seen the recent thread about people missing the ship after port excursions? Better set that watch a little fast while you're at it!
Absolutely Love it...
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

I have noticed that there now are some clocks in public areas of the ship. Back in the day (1999 to 2010) there were not any clocks outside of the staterooms. The reason for the "no clock rule" is that we are supposed to relax on the ship and not watch / care about the time. BUT there are a lot of activities that we want to participate in which all occur on a schedule. So you (well me at least) was more stressed about the time... You know hanging out at the pool and every 15 minutes for the next 2 hours trying to find a cast member to check the time with so I would not miss the next event
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
kiford
Mouseketeer

Very important to know when lunch is being served. Even more important to know when various wine/martini/champagne/tequila tastings are. Important to know when spa treatment bookings are coming up. How many hours I have left to eat ice cream, burgers, pizza, etc. before dinner. Whether I have time for a snack after breakfast but before lunch. When pirate party starts. Schedules and time - terribly critical don't you know.

Yes, a watch can come in handy. What if you missed a meal or snack time?

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

I kept my iPhone with me the entire time so I had it handy for pictures. Plus the wave phone had a clock and that was with us at all times too.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
msbiscuit
Mouseketeer

I have a little clip-on watch that I attach to my KTTW lanyard - it's a lifesaver! I found it years ago at Kohl's in the 'jewelry' department. They may sell them at Kohl's, Target, etc.
msbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #12
Tinked
DIS Veteran

I agree...a clip-on watch from Disney is what I always carry attached to my lanyard. I also write a list of where I want to be and for what advent that I carry there too. It may be vacation but I have things to do when aboard ship.
Cruises: Wonder '05, 2/07/09 Western Caribbean on Magic, Wonder Bounce Back 9/24/09, Magic Eastern Caribbean 1/30/10, EBTA Bound for Barcelona 4/10/2010, 9/12/2010 Member Cruise, Aug. 23, 2011 Alaska, 6/10/12 Cruise to Canada, 6/15/12 Cruise to Nowhere
Future Cruises: 9/02/12 Cruise to Canada, 5/06/2013 WBPC, 8/25/13 Gayle's b-day cruise Dream
Tinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #13
omalley1118
DIS Veteran

Even with my opener in my pocket, I always wear a watch!!!! Wile I get that you're on vacation and should be relaxing...how do you know when it's time for the movie/show/activity/meal you wan to attend???? LOL!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #14
debsters41
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinked View Post
I agree...a clip-on watch from Disney is what I always carry attached to my lanyard. I also write a list of where I want to be and for what advent that I carry there too. It may be vacation but I have things to do when aboard ship.
A clip on watch from Disney on a lanyard sounds like a wonderful solution. Does anyone happen to know if something like this is sold on the ship and is it water resistant? I prefer not to wear a watch in the summer. I don't think there is anything like that here in Greece, although I will be on the lookout now.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

The only time I wear a watch is on a cruise.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: