Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #16
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?

I know you're counting breakfast and lunch CS as the same cost, but I think realistically breakfast will be slightly less than lunch. I don't know which counter services you'll be using, so it's impossible to tell from this.

So according to your calculations, $60 of the $73 savings is based on you paying OOP for the refillable mugs for all 4 adults? I guess everyone in your group really likes soda.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #17
Jonathan Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
Do we know the OPs full dining line up and what she'll order at every meal?
We know that she's going to be losing credits. Once that happens, the DDP is sunk.

Quote:
The OP can still come out ahead w/the DDP... plus, for some people the peace of mind of being pre-paid with an all-inclusive feel is priceless!
No, she can't. If she's not going to take a entree and dessert for all party members all the time, she'll always be behind. That's a big problem with the DDP. You don't have peace of mind, because you're always worrying about using every credit to the fullest.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #18
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

deleted

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011

Last edited by mickeynut1; 04-22-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #19
cuteduck223
Mouseketeer

We wouldnt be losing credits. If i cant swap the kid/adult credit, then we will do dinner (2 adults with 2 remaining credits) and will pay oop for my DD. we are doing a ton of character meals since DD is 4, its july and we will need some break time. So, those are flat rate meals that include dessert either way. Here are our current meals ohanas (dinner), boma (dinner), biergarten (dinner), akershus (dinner), tusker house (lunch), 50s prime time (lunch), crystal palace (lunch), garden grill (dinner), mama melrose (lunch). Hubby is leaving after crystal palace...so we will have his dining credits from the last two meals--which im trying to plan how to use. Our CS Isnt planned out at this point.

DDP covers our DD after just the sit down meal, essentially giving us her CS and snack free every day.

Honestly, if I cant swap it out its probably better...because we will TOTALLY stay for dinner instead of leaving mid-afternoon! Hooray for more disney time. We had originally planned to leave around 2 to start our drive home, but shoot...if we've got credits, we will stay for dinner and head out around 7. I was just thinking it would be nice to take DD TO chef mickeys for breakfast while our other adult is on her tour.

First trip: 1989 -off site (but hey, I was 10!)
1991-Fort Wilderness
1997-Fort Wilderness
2000-Fort Wilderness
2002-All-Star Movies
2008-Pop Century
2011-Fort Wilderness
2012-September-Fort Wilderness
New Years 2012-AK Lodge
2013- July - Pop Century
Next trip: New Years 2013-Port Orleans Riverside!
Old 04-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #20
Jonathan Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
And yes, the refillable mugs are part of the $73 difference. Why wouldn't they be if doing a cost comparison and that is something that we would be buy or get with the DDP?
Because it's like when those infomercials throw in some extra widget to sweeten the deal. At the end of the pitch, they say something like, "And if you act now, we'll throw in a travel mug valued at $15 for free!" The mug is something people rarely use because it's only good at the resort you're staying at. It may cost $15, but it's not really worth $15. Most people fail to use it every day. If you eat somewhere other than your resort, you can't use the mug at all. Personally, I intend to have canned soda and bottled water shipped to my room. Those I can use anywhere in the park and will cost me a lot less. Cans of soda can be stored in the mini-fridge and are available anytime in the room. To use the mug, you'd have to leave and go to a fountain unit. But don't get me wrong...if you and the other three people intend to keep track of four identical mugs and use them every day to drink lots of soda and stuff, then by all means, you should include it in your calculations. Just keep in mind most people wouldn't consider $60 worth of plastic mugs that can only be used in one place a perk worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteduck223 View Post
We wouldnt be losing credits. If i cant swap the kid/adult credit, then we will do dinner (2 adults with 2 remaining credits) and will pay oop for my DD.
If you do the swap, that implies you're losing a child credit, yes? If your husband wasn't leaving, wouldn't the child have their own DDP credits to use?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #21
cuteduck223
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Swift View Post
If you do the swap, that implies you're losing a child credit, yes?
No. At that point, we're out of child credits. Its our last day, and we will have used up everything except the 2 credits that DH would miss (garden grill and mama melrose). So, the idea would be that if I could take my DD to Chef Mickeys, I would use 2 adults credits for the adult and child. Not having to pay for anything additional. If it won't work, then the 2 adults will use those credits for dinner (probably somewhere in world showcase) and I will pay for DD's meal.

1991-Fort Wilderness
1997-Fort Wilderness
2000-Fort Wilderness
2002-All-Star Movies
2008-Pop Century
2011-Fort Wilderness
New Years 2012-AK Lodge
2013- July - Pop Century
Old 04-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #22
Jonathan Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteduck223 View Post
No. At that point, we're out of child credits. Its our last day, and we will have used up everything except the 2 credits that DH would miss (garden grill and mama melrose). So, the idea would be that if I could take my DD to Chef Mickeys, I would use 2 adults credits for the adult and child. Not having to pay for anything additional. If it won't work, then the 2 adults will use those credits for dinner (probably somewhere in world showcase) and I will pay for DD's meal.
Ah. I see. Or maybe you can change an existing 1 point TS to a 2 point one. But then you'd have to pay OOP for the child since you'd run out of child TS points.

The only gotcha with using the adult credit for a child is ordering off the kids menu. The server may not care if you use an adult credit for your child, but the computer system may not allow an adult to get a kids meal. Planning on Chef Mickey's or any other buffet is a good idea since the meals are the same. It ought to make it easier.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #23
cuteduck223
Mouseketeer

i also wanna chime in on the mugs. I use them for coffee on my way to work when i'm at home. When we don't do the dining plan, we don't buy them. I do like them as part of the plan though--

haha. There I go again...EXACTLY like the infomercial example. Of course, I do use them in daily life once I'm home. I do have some old fantasmic mugs (the super fat ones) and we don't use those.

1991-Fort Wilderness
1997-Fort Wilderness
2000-Fort Wilderness
2002-All-Star Movies
2008-Pop Century
2011-Fort Wilderness
New Years 2012-AK Lodge
2013- July - Pop Century
Old 04-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #24
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

we see the mug double benefit, yes, we likely drink $15 worth of coffee/tea/hot choc and soda over the course of our vacations (which also could lend to this discussion... are you a four day per visit guest or a ten day at a time guest??) per person, PLUS we consider it a souvie... and yes, I have more than five "exact same mugs" in my cabinets and yet, when most are in the d/w, the kids fight over the remaining ones... we like them both on vacation and at home... so for us it's not some "extra widget that we won't use" but rather a valuable component of the DDP.

The DDP is definitely not "one-size-fits-all" and may not work for every guest... your mileage may vary... however, that being said, there is no blanket statement that "DDP is a waste, you can never come out ahead" because you most definitely can!

Also, we do not stress about getting the most bang for our buck on the DDP... if my teen kids want kids' chicken fingers, so be it... once I'm on vacation, I don't care if I got my nickel's worth or not... and I like having it prepaid, rather than putting it on a credit card when I'm there... nothing takes the wind out of one's sails faster than a big bill at the end of a vacation!!! Even on our DCL we prepaid everything including gratuities, shore excursions and put money on our onboard account prior to sailing so as not to leave with a bill as our souvie!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14 DCL Fantasy Jan '15
Old 04-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #25
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:

No, she can't. If she's not going to take a entree and dessert for all party members all the time, she'll always be behind. That's a big problem with the DDP. You don't have peace of mind, because you're always worrying about using every credit to the fullest.
Maybe that is true for you. But it is not true for everyone.

I appreciate that you have your point of view on the Dining Plan. But you need to realize not everyone values the same things you value. For some, having everything paid for in advance holds great value. And they don't fret over using every credit.

It doesn't mean you are necessarily wrong, or they are necessarily wrong. You seem to think of the Dining Plan one way, and not everyone looks at it the way you do.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #26
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
we see the mug double benefit, yes, we likely drink $15 worth of coffee/tea/hot choc and soda over the course of our vacations (which also could lend to this discussion... are you a four day per visit guest or a ten day at a time guest??) per person, PLUS we consider it a souvie... and yes, I have more than five "exact same mugs" in my cabinets and yet, when most are in the d/w, the kids fight over the remaining ones... we like them both on vacation and at home... so for us it's not some "extra widget that we won't use" but rather a valuable component of the DDP.

The DDP is definitely not "one-size-fits-all" and may not work for every guest... your mileage may vary... however, that being said, there is no blanket statement that "DDP is a waste, you can never come out ahead" because you most definitely can!

Also, we do not stress about getting the most bang for our buck on the DDP... if my teen kids want kids' chicken fingers, so be it... once I'm on vacation, I don't care if I got my nickel's worth or not... and I like having it prepaid, rather than putting it on a credit card when I'm there... nothing takes the wind out of one's sails faster than a big bill at the end of a vacation!!! Even on our DCL we prepaid everything including gratuities, shore excursions and put money on our onboard account prior to sailing so as not to leave with a bill as our souvie!
ITA with everything here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Maybe that is true for you. But it is not true for everyone.

I appreciate that you have your point of view on the Dining Plan. But you need to realize not everyone values the same things you value. For some, having everything paid for in advance holds great value. And they don't fret over using every credit.

It doesn't mean you are necessarily wrong, or they are necessarily wrong. You seem to think of the Dining Plan one way, and not everyone looks at it the way you do.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011

Last edited by mickeynut1; 04-22-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #27
Jonathan Swift

Quote:
If we would buy them anyway (which we would), that has to be included in the comparison. You can't pick and choose what you are going to compare and leave things out and then tell people "the DDP is a waste and will never save you money".
No, I said it will never save her money if she knows in advance that she will be leaving credits unused. Big difference. I also said that if you intend on spending $15 per mug and stand around the resort drinking beverages, then you should definitely count it. Granted, I don't think it's wise, but you seem to love it and that's all that matters.

Quote:
We start using them the minute we get them until we go home, and then they get used quite often at home. We get more than $15 worth of coffee/tea/soda over the course of our stay. Maybe it's inconvenient for you to go to a drink station and fill the mug, but we spend a lot of time at the resort during our trips and while at some resorts you have to take a long walk to the food court, we always stay deluxe where the CS drink station is never far away (for us, anyway). Regarding "keeping track of 4 identical mugs", it's myself, DH, and our two DSs, so it's not like we are from different families and can't drink out of the same mug.
Too much information, mickeynut1. Too much information.

Wait a minute, if you all drink out of the same cup, then you should be only purchasing one mug. So $60 savings is cut down to $15 thanks to your family's...habits.

Quote:
You asked for proof that the DDP saves money and I gave you that proof (according to MY situation).
I didn't ask you for proof. I asked you to post your itinerary so other people can see how to make the DDP work, because it ain't easy. I also pointed out that the majority of the "savings" was from the mugs. The $13 of dining savings would hold true as long as you never break script. I'll leave it up to the readers if $13 for an entire family is worth it if you have to count credits and force feed yourselves to make ends meet. If your family likes this arrangement, then more power to you all.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #28
cuteduck223
Mouseketeer

We also try to get rice krispies at QS When offered as. Dessert option. They make great take home snacks . Most resort QS have that option

1991-Fort Wilderness
1997-Fort Wilderness
2000-Fort Wilderness
2002-All-Star Movies
2008-Pop Century
2011-Fort Wilderness
New Years 2012-AK Lodge
2013- July - Pop Century
Old 04-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Too much information, mickeynut1. Too much information.

Wait a minute, if you all drink out of the same cup, then you should be only purchasing one mug. So $60 savings is cut down to $15 thanks to your family's...habits.
Wow

Last edited by mickeynut1; 04-22-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #30
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Jonathan, if you were to do a cost analysis, do you include the delivered soda and water, as that would need to be included to compare apples to apples?

Also, who "force feeds" themselves with the DDP? Certainly not my family!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14 DCL Fantasy Jan '15
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: