Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Disfan454
Earning My Ears

Really trying to decide. OKW or SSR

Originally we were going to book at Old Key West since we have a party of 8 but made the reservation today under Saratoga Springs. Anyone stayed at both and if so, what did you like over the other? Which would you stay again as your first choice?
Disfan454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

OKW has bigger villas.

SSR has nicer pools. although love OKW community pools - think only visited the main pool once in 15 years.

SSR definitely has the better community hall - but if you plan on spending most of your time in the parks - that doesn't matter.

SSR has the better walking path to DD.

they are more like a community than a hotel. so they are pretty different from BWV, BCV, BLT, VWL.

OKW feels more like home. Both are great resorts.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

OKW

For all the resons Spiceycat gave...
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
iluveeyore
DVC Member - Disney is my second home!

OKW for the square footage for sure, plus the outdoor covered decks are huge, and a great 'bonus' room we use for meals, relaxing, or playing games in the evening (they have lights/ceiling fans for night-time). Plus a full-size washer/dryer in a separate laundry room instead of a stackable in the closet at SSR. Plus there is a dining area with a huge table instead of the cramped bench/table set up at SSR. Both resorts are beautiful with lots to offer, don't get me wrong - I have SSR booked next month, but that's because we are in a studio and prefer the couch and bed as opposed to the two beds in a studio at OKW - but in Oct. we have a 1 bdrm booked at OKW for 12 glorious nights, and I can't wait! Either one is fine if you're doing the parks all day every day - if you are going to be spending time in your villa for meals or time together as a group, OKW has much more space for you to enjoy.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If you are booking a two bedroom villa, the two bedroom at OKW (and also the one bedroom villas) will have the twin sized sleeper chair in the living room. SSR does not have the twin sized sleeper chair. It might mean two people would not have to sleep together.

Every two bedroom villa at OKW will have two queen beds in the second bedroom. Only dedicated two bedroom villas at SSR will have two queen beds.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

We've stayed at both and prefer OKW. The room is significantly larger and the full size laundry room is really great, plus in some of the units, it gives a second entrance to the bathroom.

The dining area has a large round table plus a buffet/hutch area which is a TON of storage and shelves on the wall above it. We utilize that area for all our bags, souvenirs, etc. that we need every day.

The kitchen has a great island and full size bottom cabinets and counter vs. SSR with a narrow countertop and much less counter space. We cook almost every day and we like having a real workable kitchen. 2 or 3 people can be in there at once and not get in the way.

The jacuzzi can fit two people. That's fun too

If you have small children and want better pools, then SSR has 3 great theme pools. OKW has one theme pool plus quiet pools so better for older kids. SSR also has a food court whereas OKW only has a snack area next to the pool so if you want to eat QS at the resort, then you should choose SSR.

OKW has a small resort town feel whereas SSR has a large condo complex feel. SSR has elevators in every building but OKW only has them in a few.

If we could only get SSR, we wouldn't cry but we would always choose OKW over SSR for our needs.

Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
BenandMorgsMom
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at both and I completely agree with what has been posted above but if we have a choice.....OKW is our pick each and every time. Feels like home! Love the space, location and if you want to visit SSR.....it's a boat ride away. We own at BoardWalk and BC but if we want something different, we alway stay at OKW. I love it! Peaceful....feels more relaxed....just good karma all around.
BenandMorgsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
las3888
DIS Veteran

Another vote for OKW. The rooms are just so spacious. The grounds are lush and mature. We have never had a room with a "bad" view. Good luck with your decision.
las3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
momof2minnies
DIS Veteran

Talking

Always OKW never SSR again.

Linda
2000 OKW First trip with the kids,2001 OKW First time for my parents,2002 Marriott Grande Vista/OKW,2003 MGV,2004 OKW,2005 March Disney cruise/SSR, July-MGV, 2007 CSR, 2008 Clearwater-day trip, Marathon 2009 OKW,Nov. 2009 CSR then the Magic,Marathon 2010 OKW,June 2010 AKL,Marathon 2011 OKW, Anniversary 2011 POFQ,Disney Dream+BC 2012,Disney Fantasy 2013,Anniversary 2013 POR, Jan 2014 OKW

4/08 First half marathon- Oleksak lumber- Ma., 2:23:35
10/08 Second half marathon-Applefest-Hollis,NH.,2:17:05
01/09 First full marathon- Disney-5:39:24
01/10 5K and Half marathon- with my brother- Disney-2:43:42
01/11 5k and Half marathon-Disney- 2:11:46
4/12 5k Castaway Cay on the Dream with Arynn
momof2minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
Disfan454
Earning My Ears

Thank you everyone. We changed our reservation to OKW and it was the exact same price. I think we will be happier at OKW.
Disfan454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: