Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #61
emilymad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieMandy View Post
I have long, thick curly hair. We have a water purifier at home and I honestly think my hair is nicer at Disney (must be Disney magic ! I do like ponytails at Disney b/c of the heat and all the rides. I usually wash my hair at night in the shower at Disney, blow dry the roots with a diffuser, then sleep with a satin pillowcase on my pillow I bring from home. In the morning I ponytail, but my hair is NEVER frizzy like it can get at home, and my curls actually look nice. My current products are Loreal EverCurl shampoo and conditioner (sulfate free), Shea Moisture leave-in conditioner, Loreal EverCurl cream gel, and Suave Professionals Curl Mousse. All the products are extremely light weight and don't weigh the hair down at all.
How do you like the cream gel? I switched to the EverCurl shampoo and conditioner and love it. I usually use Herbal Essences Totally Twisted mousse.
emilymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #62
Stinkerbell's Mommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
If I wear a ponytail in Florida humidity I end up with a 2-3" ring of frizz floating around my head regardless of how long my hair is at the time.
I need to go with at least 2 ponytails, braids or just looking like some strange frizzy beast.
I end up with the lovely frizz halo too. UGH! There are time I seriously hate my hair. It's impossible to look cute and take good pictures and be comfortable at the same time.
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #63
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meech Loves Mickey View Post
What is a Spin Pin? How does it hold your hair? In a twist or bun? I have very fine hair (but a lot of it) so things like usually just fall out of my hair. I rely on Goody no metal elastics.
You haven't lived until you've tried spin pins!

I have extremely long (waist length) straight hair. Not thin, just average thickness with super fun frizz. I only use the standard 2 pins. For the tightest hold I put it up wet. I recently layered my hair and it is harder to put up because of all the different lengths/flyaways. So, when it is unruly I will put a no metal elastic around the base. This has held it up even during running and when putting it up dry.

Before I layered my hair, I just twisted it, wrapped it up and stuck the two in. Don't worry about making a T shape with them like the instructions say though. I just put them in where the ends of my hair are or where it is loose. You can also take a bobby pin and pin the very end of the hair down under the bun and then place the spin pins. That will be a tighter hold too.
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
May 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge CL. Happy Birthday to me!
March/April 2014 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
October 2014 - Beach Club for TOT 10-Miler! AKL/CR for Princess Half Marathon!
AThrillingChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #64
MyTwoPrincesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieMandy View Post
Have you tried the Loreal EverCurl line? That stuff is amazing! I have really thick hair and always had so much trouble getting tangles and knots out in the shower. The Loreal stuff works so well, my hands glide right through it! Their cream gel is amazing too, never stiff but keeps the frizz off and curls look great. I use the Shea Moisture leave-in (found in the ethnic/multicultural section at Target) and it works so well.
I should give it a try. My hair is SO finicky. I do like the Herbal Essences conditioner and the LA Looks Sports Gel is great too. But I'm always wanting to try something new.

Now a Mom of THREE Princesses.
DD (8) , DD (6) DD (3)

1989: Offsite
Nov 2009: 7 days at Coronado Springs
March 2011: 8 days at POFQ
May 2013: 7 days at Art of Animation (Lion King Suites)
Can't stay away! Heading back to WDW in February 2014: 6 days at Port Orleans Riverside
MyTwoPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #65
KelleyGirl
Mouseketeer

I love these comments. With curly hair, I'm always looking for new products new ideas. I think everyone should post a picture of their hairstyle so we can all see what you do!

For me, I started using the DevaCurl product line and LOVE it. I use the shampoo and conditioner, but don't really like the styling products.

Products I use now: DevaCurl Set it Free (moisture lock), Purpose Curl Defining Cream, Eufora Curl 'N Defining Solution. I'm still playing around to see what combination works best.

BUT, I have to share what I JUST learned. In my forty-something years, I never used hairspray on wet hair, and I recently tried it. It works so good for my curls! Just a spritz while they are wet, after the other products are in, and scrunch the curls when they are dry. I love how it gives me even/spring like curls. I will try out how this helps the frizz in sunny FLA in June!

For the style, I usually start with it down but it goes up into a messy bun pretty early in the day! I sometimes mix things up by putting a small braid in the front, or sectioning the hair front to back into 5 sections, twist each section and put some bobby pins in, then put the messy bun in back for both looks. Still a ponytail, but the front has a little style
KelleyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #66
momofboyz3
DIS Veteran

Planning on getting my long curly/frizzy hair straightened for our WDW trip in a few weeks! I will end up slicking it back & sporting a pony. So I need a gel that does NOT flake or turn white!!! Please! Thanks!!!
momofboyz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #67
BeckyEsq
Mouseketeer.

Just want to say I recently found Goody Spin Pins at Dollar Tree!
DisneyLand 6/05
Wilderness Lodge 8/06
Port Orleans Riverside 8/13
*now planning* POR Royal Guest Room 8/14

Is She Ready To Be A Princess? August 2013 Trip Report
BeckyEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #68
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

I keep seeing the words "Goody spin pins" as "Goofy spin pins."
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #69
TooBoyz4us
Run! The Tag Fairies are everywhere!
Please stop licking your monitor. It's hard to clean the smudges off, and electrocution sounds painful.

On all of our previous Disney trips, I had very short hair.

I am in the process of growing it out, and am currently about 2-3 inches below my chin.
Its not long enough for a pony tail yet, unless I use a thousand bobby pins.
I hope and pray it will be long enough by November or I don't know what I will do.

On top of it all, I am a major head sweater. Its the very first place I start sweating, and is so embarrassing.

Any advice?

9/1997 @ CBR...10/2002 @ CSR ...9/2004@WL...9/2009@ CSR......
11/2013 @ POR
TooBoyz4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #70
disneycat321
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBoyz4us View Post
On all of our previous Disney trips, I had very short hair.

I am in the process of growing it out, and am currently about 2-3 inches below my chin.
Its not long enough for a pony tail yet, unless I use a thousand bobby pins.
I hope and pray it will be long enough by November or I don't know what I will do.

On top of it all, I am a major head sweater. Its the very first place I start sweating, and is so embarrassing.

Any advice?
If it hasn't grown out enough for a ponytail, can you put it half up? With bobby pins for the stray pieces? That's what I would do - I've been in that growing out process many times!

You could also try a french braid that starts really high on the head - but if you have a lot of layers that won't work. Been there, tried that.

As for me, my hair is pretty long (mid back) and thick. It's also straight, but the humidity makes it frizz a lot. There is no way I will wear it down at WDW in May (this trip) or June (last trip) - it is way too hot!!! I just can't deal with that heat on my neck and shoulders. I see women at WDW with their hair down and I just don't know how they do it. Anyway, I plan to alternate between a bun and a "french ponytail" - a french braid at the top and a ponytail at the bottom. Since my hair is heavy, ponytails tend to be painful. The braid at the top eliminates the pain. Buns aren't painful, for some reason.

I never use product, but I'm bringing hairspray - I'm sure I'll need it in that dang humidity, lol. I also bought some of those elastic headbands - I think those might help with my fly aways.

And whenever I have a part, I have to layer on the sunscreen (I use the clear spray kind) - I get the WORST sunburns on my scalp!!

p.s. I had spin pins, but I just could NOT get them to work for me!! I wasn't coordinated enough for something...

DLR:
DLR Visits (No longer locals!): Dec 2014...(more to come!)
2009-2014 SoCal local DLR AP holders (went more times than I can count!)

WDW:Always dreaming of another trip...
May 2013 POR
June 2010 Honeymoon POR
disneycat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #71
mamaprincess
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I have past shoulder length dreads that I put up with a large claw clip or messy bun at Disney. Sometime I will pull them back into a beanie ( the kind that looks lite a net)My problem is hot hair at the park so off the neck and breathable is a must no baseball caps unless it is cool.
mamaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #72
flipfloppershopper
Earning My Ears

I also have curly shoulder length hair and I'm going for the messy side bun or a French braid.
flipfloppershopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #73
Reddy
Scrapbooker

I just brush & add Minnie Ears
Old 05-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #74
Kelli Pooh
Mouseketeer

Oh my I know I am going to be a hot mess in October Last time we went in October was 15 years ago! We have been going down in December or January since then. I usually straighten it and it was fine for pics ect. but the humidity will curl it up fast. Plus I tend to get flyaways with my ponytails. Ugggggg! Probably will skip photopass this trip...lol. Going to stock up on Living Proof products and practice this summer when PA gets hit with 90 degree days.

Kelli Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #75
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

I also have long and very curly hair. When I don't blow it straight, I wash my hair every two days and use a argan oil spray that thames curly hair and let it dry naturally then on the second day I use it again to style it. I don't use hair ties to tie my hair back when I need to, they break way too much hair.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: