Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
poly princess
Mouseketeer

Are Value Resorts so bad when Deluxe feels so right??

Hello Folks!

Disney husband and I have been blessed with the ability to stay at deluxe resorts. We need a Disney fix. We are on a budget. How bad is going from deluxe to value resort? Which Non-deluxe resort do you suggest for 2 adults?

I know and understand I sound crazy. However, I married a guy who has be "coached" into things.

Thank you!
Poly

PS...Does anyone know if the Boardwalk Bakery has reopened? Are there any new pictures?

Thank you!
poly princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

We're truly deluxe people and its had stepping down... No way would we do value, definitely not our cup of tea ....

We've found POFQ, alot to our liking... Smallness in size, great food court, boat to DTD.....

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
aVASTGrl
DIS Veteran

I've never stayed at a Value, and probably never would, but have you considered a mod? If it's in your budget, that might be an easier transition for you! The biggest difference of course are the outside rooms, but I've always found the staff at the mods just as nice and helpful as at the Deluxes! I second the POFQ recommendation.

[*]~Spring 2014 - WL"Flowers And Gardens And Bees" Solo Trip[*]~Summer 2013 - AKL "Family Reunion Recovery" Trip[*]~Halloween 2012 - YC Solo Extravaganza!![*]~Christmas 2011 - POFQ "Is That What Snow Looks Like?" Celebration[*]~Summer 2010 - Off-site[*]~Summer 2009 - CSR "Stop That Bus" Fun[*]~Summer 2008 - Off-site "Never Eating Salmon Again" Disaster[*]~Graduation 2007 - AKL "My Ankle Just Separated!!" Special Sister Vacay[*]~Late Summer 1998 - POFQ "Runaway Cart" Episode[*]~Early Summer 1998 - Disneyland Paris nee Eurodisney "Whinnie Le Pooh" Ooh La La[*]~March 1998 - Off-site Singing Competition "The Band Kids Stole Our Bus!!" Trip[*]~1985 - My One And Only Disneyland Trip That I Don't Remember[*]~1983-1996 - Every Other Summer WDW Pilgrimage aka the beginnings of my Disney Obsession Thank You Mom & Dad

aVASTGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Reddy
Scrapbooker

if your plan is to be at the parks & the hotel is just a place to sleep, shower & dress then go for it - I would do All Star Music - that one seems to be the less kiddie one but a lot of people love Pop

just remember it has 2 full size beds unless you get the 1 king size (which most likely will be handicap)

there is no coffee in the room either
Old 04-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

Although I favor club level at a deluxe, I really liked CSR, a moderate. We've also tried ASMu and Pop, and between them I would only consider Pop.

The room at CSR felt a little more upgraded than those at POR and POFQ. The pool was really nice, too. Pop was clean and had a good food court.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Missus Toad
Amazing! She actually stays awake during the Hall of Presidents!

We've only ever stayed deluxe in the 35+ years we've been going to WDW (We're usually Poly people, but have done almost all the deluxes at least once). However, we stayed a night at Pop once when we got in a day early, and I thought it was fun! Definitely a change-- the rooms are tiny, but the resort itself was a good time. I wouldn't be averse to staying there again if I had a tighter budget.

Most recent 8/21/13-8/31/13 at GF and Poly.

Missus Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
We're truly deluxe people and its had stepping down... No way would we do value, definitely not our cup of tea ....

We've found POFQ, alot to our liking... Smallness in size, great food court, boat to DTD.....
We are DVC, but when we pay cash, POFQ is our choice. Love the beignets at the food court. We go for the beignets even when we are staying at a DVC resort.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
amberpi
DIS Veteran

We stayed at a value once for one night when we changed a flight the day of and couldn't get into any of the deluxes and we decided to bypass the mods to try something new. It was NOT for us. They don't have room service and we got in very late (one of the reasons we were willing to go value) and were very surprised. My DH is about 6'4 and his feet hung off the bed. He's thin and I'm thin and we couldn't sleep together; seriously, it was awful, but we are spoiled, spoiled, spoiled in our WDW and real lives. You might try off property, I have been to several conventions at the Omni and it is VERY nice for a very affordable price.

Any way you go though, you're at WDW!
amberpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Go to Pop...it will be alright. You might even love it when you see the money you are saving.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
ocalla
DIS Veteran

The only value we stayed at was ASMovies, and while it isn't our cup of tea....if it were the only way I could get my yearly Disney Fix, I would do it in a second .

Just plan on spending much more time in the parks, or in the lounges at the deluxe resorts, then go back to your value resort for sleeping only.

Good luck with your decision, and have a great time.
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie

ocalla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
dramaticmissy
Mouseketeer

We liked POP, we liked the food court selection, and the staff has always been most helpful.

June 1976-My first trip!
March 2006 @ POP dd's 2nd birthday
August 2007 @ SSR 11 day trip
November 2008- POP dd's 7th birthday
May 2013 Port of Orleans Riverside- All girls week
dramaticmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
brertoad
DIS Veteran

We stayed at POP last March, because I wanted to go and couldn't wait until my birthday to stay at AKL. Honestly, I wasn't in love with it, the room was okay, a little smaller, a bit noisy (lots of noise all around our room, upstairs and the rooms next to us). Because we started off at Deluxe, I think it spoiled me too much. I think we paid about $125 a night at POP, which seems a bit high.

But, if my choice was between going or not going to WDW, I would do it again and make the best of it.

I really like the grounds at Port Orleans, we've gone there to eat and shop.
We were planning to try PO Riverside last September with a cash reservation (I had booked it really far in advance), I think it was around $150 a night, but we ended up signing on a DVC resale contract at the end of June last year, so we ended up cancelling that reservation because of buying DVC.

With a little luck, you can probably get a moderate for a good deal. I've heard that some people rent DVC points and save money that way and get Deluxe accomodations.

Me & DH
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

I always stayed deluxe, and then after my stay at Pop a few years back, I know that value isn't for me, and I know I wouldn't head to disney unless I can fit at least a mod into the budget. We didn't have a bad stay, room service was good, nice place to rest my head. But I enjoy the pools at the deluxe, really missed the hot tubs for my aching feet, like the larger beds and larger sinks, and didn't like the food court scene. Much rather have small, but several CS to choose from as far as food options go. And the atmosphere and landscaping of the deluxe resorts is so beautiful, the value icons are stale in comparison. I know some others don't really mind, as long as they are in disney. I need a deluxe to complete the disney experience.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #14
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

DH and I cannot stay at the values, they are just too large a resort, way too crowded and noisy, the food court is a zoo and the rooms are very small and you can hear everything from surrounding rooms. I would much rather save the money on other aspects of the vacation so I could afford a better resort.
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaticmissy View Post
We liked POP, we liked the food court selection, and the staff has always been most helpful.
We enjoyed POP, but there is nothing like staying at a deluxe.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: