Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
chicagodisneyguy
Earning My Ears

What do you guys condider a "good price" for a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise

Hi everybody, I'm looking at taking a last minute cruise in mid May. I've never been on a cruise and really love Disney so thought this would be a fun way to start. It would just be me and my bf. I saw that Disney has a 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Disney Fantasy. The quoted price for 2 people in a VGT category is $2240 + $146 in taxes. All the confirmed Verandah categories are over $3600. I'm booking through AMEX Platinum card's travel service and they currently offer no on-board credits/extras of any type.

I guess my question is $2386 a good price for a Verandah category room? Also, is there any other booking source that I might get this same price but with some extra bonuses (on-board credit etc..)

If this is just an okay price, what would you guys consider a good to great price for this sailing for 2 adults? I appreciate all the feedback!!!
chicagodisneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Any travel agency, or yourself, can book that rate. DCL does not allow TA's to discount cruises, but some may offer a 'gift' of on board credit or another 'gift' for booking thru them. Dreams Unlimited is the sponsor of these boards and offers on board credit for booking thru them.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodisneyguy View Post
Hi everybody, I'm looking at taking a last minute cruise in mid May. I've never been on a cruise and really love Disney so thought this would be a fun way to start. It would just be me and my bf. I saw that Disney has a 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Disney Fantasy. The quoted price for 2 people in a VGT category is $2240 + $146 in taxes. All the confirmed Verandah categories are over $3600. I'm booking through AMEX Platinum card's travel service and they currently offer no on-board credits/extras of any type.

I guess my question is $2386 a good price for a Verandah category room? Also, is there any other booking source that I might get this same price but with some extra bonuses (on-board credit etc..)

If this is just an okay price, what would you guys consider a good to great price for this sailing for 2 adults? I appreciate all the feedback!!!
good price if you are willing to get any Veradah! You may not get your room assignment until you board. Not likely, but can happen. As long you are good with that book it!

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-6, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 8, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(22) 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Magic 2014
(23) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
cruzergirl
Earning My Ears

My first Disney cruise was also booked last minute with my bf and we had a blast! We also booked VGT - a few hundred less than your quote but we sailed during hurricane season. I say go for it! To me the price seems reasonable for Disney, certainly low enough for me to book. Although you'll get conflicting answers on this, I always book through AAA with my wonderful TA Barb. They give a $100 photo credit for all reservations booked through them.
cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

I booked the same cruise yesterday. I consider this a good rate for DCL. You may find a slightly better last minute rate during the fall or winter (excluding holiday sailings) . We cruised Fantasy with a VGT rate in Dec and paid $250 less than what we are paying for this cruise for our family of 3. I booked mine through Natalia at www.cruisevacationoutlet.com and was given some on board credit. We have booked 8 + cruises with her so that may contribute to what we received.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Mekamax
Earning My Ears

Great price for cruising in May. Great time to cruise weather and all considered and a higher price for cruises across the board. I'd jump on it.
Mekamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

click on the dreams unlimited link at the top of the page and book through them. I believe (don't quote me) you will get a $100 obc for the price of the cruise plus they have been giving out baskets of items that will be left in your cabin.
as to rate, yes this is a good rate, no question.
enjoy your cruise no matter how you do it.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekamax View Post
Great price for cruising in May. Great time to cruise weather and all considered and a higher price for cruises across the board. I'd jump on it.
I agree; Go for It. If you want to feel better, check out prices in June or July.
darkwing818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

I think the Dreams OBC is more than that for 7 days. Book with them!
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
shburks
DIS Veteran

I saw that yesterday, too. You can book via http://www.wishdrawals.com

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Disney Card?

I booked this last week's with my new Disney Chase card. We now intend to put most of our purchases from here on out on it so that we can try and accrue as many points as we can towards our next disney trip. Because I used my Disney card, I got a $50 on board credit, and the cruise fare is supposed to be 6 months same as cash because I used the Disney card for the cruise. (We shall see if that happens, its too soon to tell.) But the Disney card appears to give you 1% in Disney points and each point is a one for one ratio. In other word, $1 Disney dollar can be used as $1. (If you have $89, you can buy a Disney world ticket) etc. So I'm hoping the points add up REAL quick (especially with all the spa services etc my twinkie used on the cruise!) and that we will be having a nice lil Disney nest egg to go towards our next one...

I know this is a bit off topic, but the OP was discussing which card they put it in and any relevant discounts with it.

Does anyone else have the Disney card and can tell me how it is going?

Btw, when I got home, because we had used so much on the card right away (with our whole Disney trip being on it), we had a $50 Disney card waiting for us in the mail! So that is reward number 1. I'm going to hope to start stock piling these babies if possible... DCL here I come...
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Btw, JustACruiser... what is your secret to doing 4 DCLs a year...?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
ldo
DIS Veteran

I think your Disney card is 1% not 10% in Disney cash. So, for $100 spent, you get $1.
ldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
Im_A_Princess
PLATINUM - Woo Hoo!

Location: Maryland ~893.52 miles from my FL home in Port Canaveral

I think all GTY discounted rates are a "great" rate.
Disney never used to give anything off their cruises.
No sales.
Best you could hope then for was $50 for using Disney Visa and maybe a small OBC from a TA. Of course way back then Palo was only an additional $5 (2006)-LOL

-Chrissy 116 days onboard DCL and counting...)
Im_A_Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldo View Post
I think your Disney card is 1% not 10% in Disney cash. So, for $100 spent, you get $1.
Yes I went back and corrected that once I realized it wasn't right.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: