Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
hollerfolk5
Earning My Ears

Alamo ? with debit card

1. I know I can use my debit card (from reading other threads) with Alamo--as long as I show round trip tickets. Would my itinerary work?

2. I am an insider member & want to use my Visa debit card. Can I still use the Visa $30 off code--AD2338FDF?

3. Then can I still add my spouse as a free additional driver--at kiosk or upon exiting garage??

4. Anyone rented lately the MIDSIZE?? What's in the garage to pick from?

Thanks for help/ info!!!!

April 1998--offsite, April 2009--offsite, May 2013--offsite
hollerfolk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Interary will work (if you are even asked for it); but I would highly recommend you consider using a credit card over a debit card.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
PWammy
Mouseketeer

Never rented using a debit card, but honestly, from my experience with car rental companies, I would call the specific location I am going to rent from, not the company general information line, and find out how those situations would be handled. I definitely wouldn't act on anonymous information from a message board, and I would also have a credit card as a backup.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

You need to go to Alamo's website and read their information about renting with a debit card. I also highly recommend you reconsider and rent using a credit card instead.

Sorry, I can't answer your other questions; this info might be on heir website as well or you can call Alamo.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I have used Alamo with a debit card. I realize that it's better to use a credit card, but sometimes, that isn't an option.
I just showed the person at the rental counter my r/t itinerary.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollerfolk5 View Post
1. I know I can use my debit card (from reading other threads) with Alamo--as long as I show round trip tickets. Would my itinerary work?

2. I am an insider member & want to use my Visa debit card. Can I still use the Visa $30 off code--AD2338FDF?

3. Then can I still add my spouse as a free additional driver--at kiosk or upon exiting garage??

4. Anyone rented lately the MIDSIZE?? What's in the garage to pick from?

Thanks for help/ info!!!!
Yes, you can still add your spouse as additional driver at the kiosk, counter or exit. Keep in mind that adding at the exit causes a backup for those who have already done their "thing" at the kiosk or counter, so, please try to do the adding at the kiosk for courtesy sake. At the exit they are going to ask for proof of a round trip, both licenses and you both need to be in the car.
Yes, you can use the visa debit card and coupon.
midsize you will find: Toyota Corollas, Sentras and similar. It varies day to day and if they run low on midsize they often pop in something larger.

I am not an anonymous person posting on the internet. I worked for National/Alamo and processed a lot of debit card rentals and additional drivers.

From the Alamo website (under contact us). Debit Cards: Debit/check cards are considered to be any non-credit card bearing the VISA, MasterCard or Discover Card logo. Any other non-credit card without the VISA, MasterCard or Discover Card logo is not accepted. Please review the following guidelines:

When renting in the US, a credit card in the name of the renter must be presented at the time of rental; otherwise, Debit/Check cards are accepted along with proof of a confirmed round trip travel ticket (airline, cruises ship or train). Without proof of roundtrip ticket, debit or check cards are only accepted as a form of payment at the time of return.

Hope this helps.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
Three cats
DIS Veteran

I asked about using the kiosk with a debit card before I left for our last trip and got different answers. I can tell you firsthand that you CANNOT use the kiosk with a debit card. I tried and a message came up on the screen telling me I had to go to the counter.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Three cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three cats View Post
I asked about using the kiosk with a debit card before I left for our last trip and got different answers. I can tell you firsthand that you CANNOT use the kiosk with a debit card. I tried and a message came up on the screen telling me I had to go to the counter.

Unless something has changed since Oct.2012, you can use a debit card at the kiosk, I processed many many transactions with debit cards that came out of those machines. There may have been another reason that you had to go to the counter.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Three cats
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post
Unless something has changed since Oct.2012, you can use a debit card at the kiosk, I processed many many transactions with debit cards that came out of those machines. There may have been another reason that you had to go to the counter.
I have no idea. I tried swiping the card twice and got the same message, something to the effect of needing to use a major credit card and to proceed to the rental counter. This was December 2012. I was using my bank issued Visa debit card.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have no idea. I tried swiping the card twice and got the same message, something to the effect of needing to use a major credit card and to proceed to the rental counter. This was December 2012. I was using my bank issued Visa debit card.
Sounds like the kiosk was not reading your card. Did you use it at the counter?
Old 04-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
Three cats
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1
Quote:

Originally Posted by Three cats

Sounds like the kiosk was not reading your card. Did you use it at the counter?
Yes, without any problem.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
TamaraQT
Mouseketeer

Debit Card

For the past 4 years I have used my Visa Debit card at Alamo and didn't have any problems. But of course everything isn't always perfect so it would make sense that there are glitches or issues once in awhile I guess.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #13
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, without any problem.

That would tell me that your card, for whatever reason, was not being read by the kiosk. That happens with card readers from time to time. It has happen to me very recently (thankfully not at anything important), just wiped the card off and tried again. Glad it worked out for you ultimately.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
Three cats
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraQT
For the past 4 years I have used my Visa Debit card at Alamo and didn't have any problems. But of course everything isn't always perfect so it would make sense that there are glitches or issues once in awhile I guess.
Did you use it at the kiosk?

Old 04-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #15
mainemouselover
Earning My Ears

Easy to Do

I have rented with Alamo before using a debit card and I flew into one airport and was returning the car to the same airport, but I was then having family drive me to another airport and fly home from there. Alamo didn't care as long as I had a return flight. They checked with corporate and they said as long as I have a return flight it didn't have to be out of the same airport.

Yes, a credit card is easier, but if you need to use a debit it will work.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: