Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #16
Lyanne and Stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantHeart View Post
One thing to consider is.. Will you really do two loads of laundry every single week? 3-4 dollars is the cost of one a a half to two loads of laundry and personally, I've heard from friends who have done the CP that you live in your costume because you're working 5/7 days of the week in slow season and 6/7 days out of the week during peak season.

3-4 dollars may not sound like a whole lot, but that's $12 a month, which is three gallons of gas if you bring your car, merch, money for groceries... I'm not saying The Commons is a bad idea, I'm just saying you may want to evaluate how much actual laundry you'll be doing if that's the deciding factor for you.

If it's not.. Well, go for it, haha!

It's a very valid point.

I probably did laundry every couple of weeks meaning I only spent 4 to 6 dollars a month (or 8 to 9 if the dryer didn't properly dry my clothes ).

So I guess it won't be worth it. Unless, it's a 3 or 4 bedroom...
I really wish all the buses stopped there too since I wont have a car. Oh well.

At least now I know the pros and cons.

Lyanne and Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
khancock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyanne and Stitch View Post
I'm guessing this is it:
http://youtu.be/fDXtYF96iy0?t=4m30s
Yep. That's them.

Sadly they fell into the typical CP VLOG syndrome.

Week 1: I'm going to Vlog everything!
Week 2- Week Go Home: Nothing
khancock is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #18
Wishes Count
I Make the Magic! CP 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyanne and Stitch View Post
It's a very valid point.

I probably did laundry every couple of weeks meaning I only spent 4 to 6 dollars a month (or 8 to 9 if the dryer didn't properly dry my clothes ).

So I guess it won't be worth it. Unless, it's a 3 or 4 bedroom...
I really wish all the buses stopped there too since I wont have a car. Oh well.

At least now I know the pros and cons.
I think I did laundry like once a month because I brought so many pairs of underwear! But I also worked a role where I wore a skirt (so no socks) and didn't wear t-shirts under my shirt (like many other roles do) So for me it probably wouldn't be worth it either!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #19
khancock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantHeart View Post
3-4 dollars may not sound like a whole lot, but that's $12 a month, which is three gallons of gas if you bring your car, merch, money for groceries... I'm not saying The Commons is a bad idea, I'm just saying you may want to evaluate how much actual laundry you'll be doing if that's the deciding factor for you.
Point made.

I'd argue that someone who is concerned over saving money should jockey for a 3BR at Vista Way since that would save them $20/month over a 3BR at Chatham or Patterson and $28/month over a 3BR at the Commons. $12 is all of those things, but it is also a couple of beers at Ale House which many wouldn't think twice about spending (or even more).

BTW- for those following along, the individual prices for each apartment in each complex is in the main article on the disney programs blog.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #20
Lyanne and Stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khancock View Post
Yep. That's them.

Haha!! So true.

Lyanne and Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #21
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khancock View Post

Yep. That's them.

I had a CP blog for about 2 weeks then realized I'm too busy and exhausted for this. I was always at the parks or hanging with friends. If it wasn't a quick tweet or Facebook post I barely had time to write a blog.

Last edited by wilkeliza; 04-24-2013 at 02:52 PM.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #22
ArielinWonderland
Mouseketeer

Is the Commons the only complex that has washers/dryers in the apartments?
For the other complexes that have communal ones, do you pay for them or are they free?
This is something I hadn't considered, because at my school, whether the washer is in your on-campus apartment, or down the hall in the dorm buildings, all of the laundry is free.

ArielinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
lego606
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielinWonderland View Post
Is the Commons the only complex that has washers/dryers in the apartments?
For the other complexes that have communal ones, do you pay for them or are they free?
This is something I hadn't considered, because at my school, whether the washer is in your on-campus apartment, or down the hall in the dorm buildings, all of the laundry is free.
And Carnegie too.

#UAproblems
Old 04-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #24
khancock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielinWonderland View Post
$1 wash / $1 dry

Blog article on laundry facilities in the other WDW complexes:
https://disneyprogramsblog.com/?p=6081
Old 04-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #25
MaryPoppins86
Mouseketeer

I heard from a friend that the washer/dryer in The Commons will be taken out. Is this true or not? Would love to know the info if someone knows for sure.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #26
Musings
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins86 View Post
I heard from a friend that the washer/dryer in The Commons will be taken out. Is this true or not? Would love to know the info if someone knows for sure.
They haven't taken them out yet and there are no plans to from what I've heard (current CP).
Musings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #27
khancock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins86 View Post
Your friend is repeating a rumor.

someone asked on the laundry article on the blog:

Q "Hi, i was wondering if there were any apartments that included washers and dryers in them? and if so which ones, thank you"

A "All units within The Commons complex have washers and dryers."

I'd also serve up the following:

For them to remove them, they would have to have some place to put them. You can't just take away something like this without a replacement in place. People still have to do laundry.

In order for them to do this, they would have to build facilities. Which would mean construction. Not overnight construction. Construction that would take a good period of time. No construction happening.

And whenever there is construction happening, the housing people make sure everyone knows about it and to stay away from it. Nothing about any construction being communicated-- if there were, the several hundred people, including CP's, who live there would be actively talking about it. they aren't.

Now for those who may say "I've never been there and I don't know if they have facilities or not", I pose you this question - if such facilities existed, wouldn't they have been in use years ago? Like when it first opened. Why would they choose to put the appliances in an apartment. Certainly not out of the goodness of their hearts. That little closet next to the kitchen in Vista Way apartments has room for washers and dryers (asked a maintenance guy to let me look in there once) and they never had them in there. Even when Vista way was the only complex for CPs and Internationals. I'd argue that The Commons has them because they had to have them.

Also does it make any sense to make a significant change like this just because CP's and Culinary program people could live there now? I could think of plenty of reasons that a change like that would make sense, but because other programs are living there wouldn't be one of them.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #28
eadavis
Mickey is my Homeboy

Quote:
Your friend is repeating a rumor.

someone asked on the laundry article on the blog:

Q "Hi, i was wondering if there were any apartments that included washers and dryers in them? and if so which ones, thank you"

A "All units within The Commons complex have washers and dryers."

I'd also serve up the following:

For them to remove them, they would have to have some place to put them. You can't just take away something like this without a replacement in place. People still have to do laundry.

In order for them to do this, they would have to build facilities. Which would mean construction. Not overnight construction. Construction that would take a good period of time. No construction happening.

And whenever there is construction happening, the housing people make sure everyone knows about it and to stay away from it. Nothing about any construction being communicated-- if there were, the several hundred people, including CP's, who live there would be actively talking about it. they aren't.

Now for those who may say "I've never been there and I don't know if they have facilities or not", I pose you this question - if such facilities existed, wouldn't they have been in use years ago? Like when it first opened. Why would they choose to put the appliances in an apartment. Certainly not out of the goodness of their hearts. That little closet next to the kitchen in Vista Way apartments has room for washers and dryers (asked a maintenance guy to let me look in there once) and they never had them in there. Even when Vista way was the only complex for CPs and Internationals. I'd argue that The Commons has them because they had to have them.

Also does it make any sense to make a significant change like this just because CP's and Culinary program people could live there now? I could think of plenty of reasons that a change like that would make sense, but because other programs are living there wouldn't be one of them.
The refreshing sound of common sense...
eadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #29
MaryPoppins86
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musings View Post
They haven't taken them out yet and there are no plans to from what I've heard (current CP).
Thanks for the reply.. This is the answer I was looking for.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: