Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #31
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

I suppose you need to ask what would be worse:

Missing the birth of your sister's first long awaited baby by a week?

Or cancelling a trip to wait around and have no baby born during the time you should have been in WDW?

My DH and I are very much in love, but OOOOOH BOY if I cancelled a trip for a reason as unreliable as my sister's baby's birth, and it didn't happen during that timeframe, that would be a rough week around my house.

I'm amazingly close to my 3 sisters, and none of us would be upset at the other being out of town for an already scheduled vacation at the time of the birth of our first child(ren).

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #32
Carriesouthard
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjen27
I suppose you need to ask what would be worse:

Missing the birth of your sister's first long awaited baby by a week?

Or cancelling a trip to wait around and have no baby born during the time you should have been in WDW?

My DH and I are very much in love, but OOOOOH BOY if I cancelled a trip for a reason as unreliable as my sister's baby's birth, and it didn't happen during that timeframe, that would be a rough week around my house.

I'm amazingly close to my 3 sisters, and none of us would be upset at the other being out of town for an already scheduled vacation at the time of the birth of our first child(ren).
Yes...exactly! The you know what would hit the fan if i cancelled a trip and we sat around waiting for a baby to come all week, lol!!! It's not like you are planning this trip knowing she is due while you are away. You said its been 3 years coming. My sister would never ask me to cancel a vacation and I would never ask that of her. I have 3 girls and I've learned they come when they want! Don't cancel your vacation, chances are with a first baby it will be born after her due date anyway!
Carriesouthard is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #33
fbb
Mouseketeer

OP, that's an enormous amount of circumstantial identification for someone who wants to remain undetected.

Go on the trip and keep your son and husband happy.
fbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #34
Princess86
Earning My Ears

OP here- thank you sooooo much for all of your replies! I'm sorry that I posted and ran, but I'm SWAMPED at work today! I will be home later on today to answer all the questions and clarify some things. Thanks again for your input!!
Princess86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #35
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

I agree that you should let your sister know that your long scheduled vacation is that week and that cancelling is causing marital discord. I would hope she'd understand.

If you were her birth coach, if she was single or her husband was deployed or she *needed* you in some way, it would be one thing. If you are simply going to be one more beloved face in her adoring entourage... surely that can wait a couple days if the baby comes as scheduled.

From your husband's perspective, you're telling him that plans that are very important to him and include *his* family are less important than your family. I can see how that would make him unhappy. Sometimes we need to put our spouse first when it's really important to them.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #36
Princess86
Earning My Ears

OP here - I should have added that I really want to be there. We are best friends and I know that if she had the baby while I was away and I saw pics on Facebook of other people holding her baby, it would kill me! But thanks to you all, I see that I'm neglecting my husband's and son's feelings.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #37
Princess86
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009CAN View Post
I'm so happy for your sister! I've been there and it's great that she is PG.
Is there a chance that she's carrying more than one baby? If so, babies will likely come a little early.
If not, I'd move the trip or be prepared to leave Disney at a moment's notice.
Thank you!! She is only having one.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #38
Princess86
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
If you absolutely must not go to WDW because your sister and her husband may have their baby on it's due date and she wants you to visit her in the hospital right after it's birth, then opt out but let your DH and son go w/out you but w/ DH's family.
My DH will not go without me.

Quote:
Did your sister do this for you when you had your children?
She was there immediately after both of my children were born. I know I would be mad if she wasn't there.

Quote:
Or talk w/ your ILs maybe they can move the trip up or back a month - hopefully something will work out and you can go to WDW and support your sister.
All of us an only go this one week because of school days.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #39
Princess86
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising spud View Post
A few questions:

Does your sister know about your trip?
Yes she knew. Honestly, when she told me the due date I texted her back and said, "Don't worry, I'll find someone else to watch my dog". It didn't compute that we would be away on her due date. She said, "no, I want you here when I have the baby".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising spud View Post

Are you going for a week? If you're going for a week or so, you might very well be back before she has the baby.
With driving, 9 days.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #40
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess86 View Post
OP here - I should have added that I really want to be there. We are best friends and I know that if she had the baby while I was away and I saw pics on Facebook of other people holding her baby, it would kill me! But thanks to you all, I see that I'm neglecting my husband's and son's feelings.
I think it is very sweet that you want to be there, but still hold firm to my first response of not canceling the trip. My SIL is having my newest niece on Monday. We are toying with the idea of traveling to see them next weekend, but haven't decided yet. You will get much better quality time with both your sister and the baby once she is home. That's even if she goes full term. If you keep the trip, make sure you bring back a special plush for the new little one. I got my niece (my brother's first daughter) a giant stuffed Pluto. The new baby got a stuffed Donald with a bell inside for Christmas. I can't wait to meet my newest niece, but my own family I that have made with my husband takes priority above all else.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #41
Princess86
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusondisney View Post
Well, I'm not answering your questions, just giving my opinions. So, you've saved & planned for this vacation with your DH & ILs for 3 years. You're "very close" to your sister & she doesn't ask for much? Are you not "very close" to your DH? Does he ask for too much? Do your sister's wants take precedence over your husband's?? Coz really, she just wants you there to share her happiness (which I understand), but she certainly doesn't need you there in the first few days.

No wonder your DH gets sad & bickers. His preferences are taking a backseat to your sister's. I think you should "specifically" tell your sister that you have planned your trip for 3 years & there's no way you can disappoint your DH & son by postponing it for a year. Really, they should be your priority.

A previous poster said WDW will be there. But guess what, so will the baby. It's not going anywhere (for at least 18 years! ) Share your sister's joy now, throw her a great baby shower, shop with her for baby items & plan to spend time with them before & after your vacation. Your sister's family shouldn't take priority over your's. JMHO.
Thank you! I never thought about that, you're 100% right!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #42
Princess86
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I agree with this sentiment. Your sister should understand. Plus, your help will be much more valuable to your sister after they get home. I wouldn't disappoint my husband and child (or in-laws) on the "chance" that my sister might deliver about that time. Let your family get excited for the trip and enjoy the heck out of it. My father-in-law is no longer with us, but I sure wish we could take a trip with him. That vacation will mean a lot to your son, husband, and parents in law. Taking a vacation with your family doesn't make you a bad sister.
Thank you, that put a smile on my face!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #43
Carriesouthard
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE="Princess86"]

She was there immediately after both of my children were born. I know I would be mad if she wasn't there.

Would you be mad if she was away on a vacation it took 3 years to save for? I get being upset if she is right down the road and didn't bother to come see the baby but if she were in Disney with her own family how would you feel?
Carriesouthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #44
Princess86
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I agree with this 100%. Most people do not deliver on their due date. No way would I cancel a vacation to sit in a hospital waiting room. She doesn't want you in the room for delivery. IMHO, if you aren't special enough to be in the room when the baby is born, then she isn't special enough to drop the rest of your family for her. Don't get me wrong, not saying she doesn't love you because she doesn't want to have you in the room, but with love should come understanding. She should understand that you would be extremely put out to bail on your family on the off chance she goes into labor. Neither of my sisters would ever expect me to dump my family plans for them, just as I wouldn't expect them to dump theirs for me. I say keep the trip on. Odds are good that she will deliver before you leave.
I'm sure the reason she doesn't want me in the room is because I didn't have her in the room when my son was born. Lol. Then when my daughter was born she was watching my son. . Thank you for your reply!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #45
Princess86
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom to minnie&mickey View Post
How would you like it if he cancelled something you had been waiting and saving 3 years for because his sister or brother was having a baby?
We actually had this conversation and we both agreed that we would need to be here if his sister had a baby because his Mom would be very upset.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: