Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #16
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I would leave it as is for now. You can cancel @ 46 days and get a full refund if that's what you choose to do.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #17
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusondisney View Post
Well, I'm not answering your questions, just giving my opinions. So, you've saved & planned for this vacation with your DH & ILs for 3 years. You're "very close" to your sister & she doesn't ask for much? Are you not "very close" to your DH? Does he ask for too much? Do your sister's wants take precedence over your husband's?? Coz really, she just wants you there to share her happiness (which I understand), but she certainly doesn't need you there in the first few days.

No wonder your DH gets sad & bickers. His preferences are taking a backseat to your sister's. I think you should "specifically" tell your sister that you have planned your trip for 3 years & there's no way you can disappoint your DH & son by postponing it for a year. Really, they should be your priority.

A previous poster said WDW will be there. But guess what, so will the baby. It's not going anywhere (for at least 18 years! ) Share your sister's joy now, throw her a great baby shower, shop with her for baby items & plan to spend time with them before & after your vacation. Your sister's family shouldn't take priority over your's. JMHO.
I agree with this 100%. Most people do not deliver on their due date. No way would I cancel a vacation to sit in a hospital waiting room. She doesn't want you in the room for delivery. IMHO, if you aren't special enough to be in the room when the baby is born, then she isn't special enough to drop the rest of your family for her. Don't get me wrong, not saying she doesn't love you because she doesn't want to have you in the room, but with love should come understanding. She should understand that you would be extremely put out to bail on your family on the off chance she goes into labor. Neither of my sisters would ever expect me to dump my family plans for them, just as I wouldn't expect them to dump theirs for me. I say keep the trip on. Odds are good that she will deliver before you leave.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #18
mom to minnie&mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, I'm not answering your questions, just giving my opinions. So, you've saved & planned for this vacation with your DH & ILs for 3 years. You're "very close" to your sister & she doesn't ask for much? Are you not "very close" to your DH? Does he ask for too much? Do your sister's wants take precedence over your husband's?? Coz really, she just wants you there to share her happiness (which I understand), but she certainly doesn't need you there in the first few days.

No wonder your DH gets sad & bickers. His preferences are taking a backseat to your sister's. I think you should "specifically" tell your sister that you have planned your trip for 3 years & there's no way you can disappoint your DH & son by postponing it for a year. Really, they should be your priority.

A previous poster said WDW will be there. But guess what, so will the baby. It's not going anywhere (for at least 18 years! ) Share your sister's joy now, throw her a great baby shower, shop with her for baby items & plan to spend time with them before & after your vacation. Your sister's family shouldn't take priority over your's. JMHO.

Absolutely this! Well said. OP listen to reason and put your own family's needs first. Are you seriously considering upsetting your dh and your 6 year old ds who is so looking forward to this trip to please your sister? You can be happy and supportive of her without putting your own family on the back burner. I totally side with your dh on this and IMHO he is being extremely reasonable even contemplating cancelling. How would you like it if he cancelled something you had been waiting and saving 3 years for because his sister or brother was having a baby?
mom to minnie&mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
babyrich
"I was hiding under your porch because I love you"

I think you are a good sister for considering this.

I feel I am a good sister too; but I know my sister is great because she would never ask me or want me to cancel my vacation. She would tell me to see the baby when I return.

babyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #20
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I would leave it as is for now. You can cancel @ 46 days and get a full refund if that's what you choose to do.
It's true about the cancellation policy, but not making a decision puts her in-laws and nuclear family in a bit of a bind leaves them hanging. It wasn't clear to me whether the in-laws would drive their RV down if their grandson wasn't coming along. Is the vacation postponed/cancelled for everyone?

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #21
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Babies notoriously arrive on dates other than due dates..those dates are, at best, guesstimates. As your sister has said that she doesn't need you right in the room with her, but afterwards, I would think that if you got there even 5 days after the baby was born, it would be fine. You have the rest of your life to be there with them.
Your dh and kids should be first and foremost for you. You have made plans, important plans. The rest of your family is counting on you to go with them. To ask everyone to change their plans in order for you to be with your sister after her baby is born is a bit much. I understand wanting to be there, for her. But in all reality? Being with your dh and ds are more important. Surely your sister has her dh to support her for the few days you might not be there.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #22
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

I agree that you should not postpone your trip. You could explain to your sister that she will know the joy of motherhood and know the mother's love that you already have with your DS. Therefore, your DS (and DH) cannot be asked to put aside their vacation for that baby.

I'm sure it's tough to think about that conversation but if you're close then hopefully it will be positive and won't interfere with your relationship. If it does, then it would be very selfish of her to think her needs comes before your family.

Good luck!

Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #23
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

I'm a terrible sister.

I'd tell her that I would do my best, but make no promises.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #24
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

I love my sister very much, but personally, I would keep our vacation that we've planned for 3 years. Both she and the baby will be there when you get back from vacation and it will probably be even a better visit because both will be home from the hospital and settled in.

If she's late by a week or 2 weeks, and it's possible, then what? You've cancelled your family's trip, your in-laws, etc.... Plus, even if she's ontime, there's going to be all kinds of people in and out of the hospital. You'll have better time alone with her and the baby to help, and such, when they're all settled at home.

Go on your family vacation.... while "she doesn't ask for much", it is kind of alot to ask someone to cancel their vacation that you've been planning for 3 years. Just my opinion. Good luck.

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #25
ItsNotMuchofaTail
but I'm sort of attached to it

Well, my opinion is extremely unpopular it seems. I would probably stay home myself and send DH and DS on the trip. I wouldn't want to disappoint the ILs and DH and DS, but I wouldn't miss the birth of a baby so long-awaited.

I didn't want anyone in the delivery room, honestly, I would have been good with me and a doctor, LOL, but I would have been really sad if my family wasn't there afterwards.

I feel like WDW will always be there later, a first birth for my sister will never happen again.

And the thought of any time traveling with my exILs in an RV is enough to give me hives. So, people's reponses are definitely colored by their own experiences.

No matter what, its a shame of a predicament to be in. I don't envy you.

Previous trips:
Off Site: Visiting the grandparents in the 80s - June 2000 - Honeymoon (POFQ) - June 2007 - DD's 1st trip (ASM)June 2010 - We're getting divorced and going anyway (CBR)

November 2012 - Just DD and me (POR-Royal Room)
ItsNotMuchofaTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #26
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Agree 100%, I also like a PP comment about utilizing Skype if the baby was born while you were away. Just my to 2 cents worth, Good luck what ever you decide, clearly not an easy decision for the OP.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
donnot
Earning My Ears

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I agree with this sentiment. Your sister should understand. Plus, your help will be much more valuable to your sister after they get home. I wouldn't disappoint my husband and child (or in-laws) on the "chance" that my sister might deliver about that time. Let your family get excited for the trip and enjoy the heck out of it. My father-in-law is no longer with us, but I sure wish we could take a trip with him. That vacation will mean a lot to your son, husband, and parents in law. Taking a vacation with your family doesn't make you a bad sister.
Agreed! Your sister will need you way more 2 weeks after the baby comes than on the day it arrives! Make your hubby & son (& yourself) happy, then come home and make your sister happy!
donnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnot View Post
Agreed! Your sister will need you way more 2 weeks after the baby comes than on the day it arrives! Make your hubby & son (& yourself) happy, then come home and make your sister happy!

I'm sure she doesn't realize it now. But she will.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #29
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Does your sister know the trip falls around her due date? If she does and still wants you to be at the hospital, I don't think that's fair.

You are a good sister for trying to keep everyone happy. However, I don't think I would postpone a trip that my DH and I saved for for 3 years, disappointing DH, DS, and IL's for a baby that MAY come while you are away. It's not fair to them when you could wait to see the new baby a few days after it is born.

Discuss with your in laws and ask them when you need to make a decision by. Don't change any plans until you have to.

My best friend feels awful that she scheduled her vacation a few days after my due date. I told her no worries. I don't expect anyone except my husband to arrange his schedule around the due date.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #30
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather1979 View Post
I think you are being a good sister.

But... if there is one thing that being a mom myself has taught me is that your family with your partner/kids has to come before your family of origin. That and babies are unpredictable. As a preemie mom, I can say they like to surprise you.

All in all I think I would have a heart to heart with your sister. I would tell her your situation and I would frame it that you would love to skype from there if the baby arrives during that time (and there is a good chance this would all be moot and baby could be late or a little before then) but that you would be there at any point before or after the trip. And I love the idea of helping out once baby arrives and they are home. I would've loved an offer like that!
I agree. My grandson was predicted to come over Labor Day weekend six years ago. So, my husband and I canceled our Disney World trip, drove 12 hours one way from Georgia to Ohio for the blessed event.

We sat around and watched each other for the weekend and then drove back to Georgia with no grandson being born. He made his debut the NEXT weekend and we weren't there. Guess what? We still love him and he still loves us and we are still part of his family and always will be.

I guess I still don't understand the whole "have to be at the hospital when the baby is born" thing. When I had my son, I wanted everyone out and some peace and quiet. I did not like having my entire family there the weekend my son was brought home. That's the time for only the small family, not everyone under the sun. That can come later. Plenty of time.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: