Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
coolauntangie
Earning My Ears
 
coolauntangie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11

Dolphin Swim at Blue Lagoon questions

My DD (7) and I will be going in the dolphin swim excursion in June when we cruise on the Dream. I am trying to piece together some other threads and still have a few questions. Hopefully some veterans can give me some help!
1. We are taking the morning time slot, can we stay at the Blue Lagoon to swim and enjoy the resort?
2. What kinds of thing are there to do at Blue Lagoon if we choose to stay?
3. How often are there boats retuning to the port?
4. Any advice for this excursion?

Thank you in advance for helping me out!
😊
__________________
coolauntangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
suffieldhockeymom
DIS Veteran
 
suffieldhockeymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Suffield CT
Posts: 887

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolauntangie View Post
My DD (7) and I will be going in the dolphin swim excursion in June when we cruise on the Dream. I am trying to piece together some other threads and still have a few questions. Hopefully some veterans can give me some help!
1. We are taking the morning time slot, can we stay at the Blue Lagoon to swim and enjoy the resort?
2. What kinds of thing are there to do at Blue Lagoon if we choose to stay?
3. How often are there boats retuning to the port?
4. Any advice for this excursion?

Thank you in advance for helping me out!
😊
Yes you can stay and use the beach. They have snorkeling for a fee, hammocks to relax in, inflatables to climb and slide on. The beach is very nice. We did the AM Sea Lion encounter and stayed until the last boat. There are several boats the start leaving at 1 when the afternoon people come.

My biggest suggestion is that if you want pictures, purchase them right after the swim and not wait until the end of the day. The crowds are large during the afternoon and they rush you onto the boats.
__________________
POR 2014 pre-cruise DCL Western 2014 8 Magical Nights on the Magic 7/28/12- 8/5/12 WDW 2013 10 Wonderful days 7/22-31
suffieldhockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

Calling it a resort is pushing it. There is a nice beach area, but no waves at all (thus the lagoon part). They sell BBQ type food like hot dogs and burgers.

Boats back are at 1, 2 and 4, but it is Island TIme so they really leave about 1:30, 2:30 and 4ish.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
coolauntangie
Earning My Ears
 
coolauntangie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffieldhockeymom View Post

Yes you can stay and use the beach. They have snorkeling for a fee, hammocks to relax in, inflatables to climb and slide on. The beach is very nice. We did the AM Sea Lion encounter and stayed until the last boat. There are several boats the start leaving at 1 when the afternoon people come.

My biggest suggestion is that if you want pictures, purchase them right after the swim and not wait until the end of the day. The crowds are large during the afternoon and they rush you onto the boats.
Thank you!
__________________
coolauntangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
coolauntangie
Earning My Ears
 
coolauntangie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Calling it a resort is pushing it. There is a nice beach area, but no waves at all (thus the lagoon part). They sell BBQ type food like hot dogs and burgers.

Boats back are at 1, 2 and 4, but it is Island TIme so they really leave about 1:30, 2:30 and 4ish.

Nancy
Thank you Nancy
__________________
coolauntangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
chateau
DIS Veteran
 
chateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffieldhockeymom View Post
Yes you can stay and use the beach. They have snorkeling for a fee, hammocks to relax in, inflatables to climb and slide on. The beach is very nice. We did the AM Sea Lion encounter and stayed until the last boat. There are several boats the start leaving at 1 when the afternoon people come.

My biggest suggestion is that if you want pictures, purchase them right after the swim and not wait until the end of the day. The crowds are large during the afternoon and they rush you onto the boats.
We bought the pix once we returned home. Advantage- safe, dry, didn't have to pack 'em to carry home; disadvantage- small shipping charge, time ( a week ). Ask for their website, remember your date and group number.
__________________
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran
 
TwinPrincessMermaids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: KY
Posts: 3,465

Thumbs up We went to Blue Lagoon

Wow...I can't believe it... this time last week, I was snuggling up to a sea lion... where is my rum, i need my rum...

Ok sorry about that. So having dipped with a dolphin before, us three sisters decided to purchase the Sea Lion encounter at Blue Lagoon last Friday. Which was spectacular. I have done a dolphin dip at Sea World when I was younger and the sea lions seemed new and fresh.

However, after our sea lion encounter, we could watch all the Dolphin encounters from the observation deck. Those guys also literally had the time of their lives. There were in groups of about 10. Each person got the thrilling experience of being 'pushed' by two dolphins ala Sea world style over the water. You will definitely get your money's worth. In fact, we may go ahead and buy the Dolphins next time, as that looked as spectacular as our sea lions were.

In case you aren't all participating in the encounter, ask if the observers can come to the deck and take photos. Our parents were able to come and take photos from the deck even though they didn't pay for the encounter. (They did purchase the lunch Blue Lagoon Beach Day to cover the beach, marine observatory, ferry there and back, and lunch.) We did buy the professional photos they took, but Dad's are also priceless because they capture the encounter in its more 'candid' state, as opposed to posing for the photographers. Both are great!

Anyway I'm including some snap shots from Blue Lagoon. There is a very overrun public beach in the lagoon with very shallow water for swimming (and almost no fish). That is where you are likely to get in fights with people over lounge chairs (as my dad just about found out.) However, from the lunch pavilion, behind it is the open reef beach, and we had like 4 people on it! And there was a shady tent and lounges. That was a great lil beach and no one to get in to fights over. Its also where you can snorkel if the weather is permitting. The snorkeling is VERY VERY remote. We were the only 2 snorkeling! But that's because it is very very hard to get to. Bring some water shoes if you plan to try because you have to walk over giant rock formations to get into the water. There weren't as many fish as Castaway Cay (who feeds theirs) but there was a nice variety and I'm glad I did it.

We enjoyed our entire day at Blue lagoon. We did buy our pictures right away, guess it's a good thing we did, never thought of the rush. They hung on to them while we swam and then we grabbed them just before the ferry.

Tyler Perry and his band was rehearsing for a concert the next day so we even got a free 'concert' from the main stage.

When we first pulled up, a dolphin swam over to meet us right away. It was literally a totally cool day. Not sure why the others don't sound as enthused...I for one think it's island paradise and there is a reason I didn't go to Atlantis (which IS a resort...)





Btw, you have to order the conch fritters. The fish was good too but the fritters were unreal. The BBQ lunch comes with the Blue Lagoon Beach Day. But lunch doesn't come with your Dolphin encounter, and that's fine, because 3 of us were able to snack off of the beans and rice, conch fritters and fish tenders and we still had some left over so that Mom & Dad could have some too, (but Mom and Dad did get the BBQ lunch too.) Still the food and drinks were all good. We always try to get local fare when we get off the boat.

We are still talking about the conch fritters... which are all made fresh to order... hope you have as good a day as we did!
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
n8nally
DIS Veteran
 
n8nally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 702

TwinPrincessMermaids, are there lockers or someplace to store a beach bag, towels, etc while participating in the dolphin excursion?
__________________






I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)


n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran
 
TwinPrincessMermaids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: KY
Posts: 3,465

There were lockers available for the sea lions so I would assume there would be for the dolphins. They weren't big enough for a giant beach bag, however, the animal encounter spot is very private, so you could prob leave your towel like I did in my bag in the 'educational' spot (where they do the 'lecturing' portion of the encounter...which I assume yours will also include?) and you could lock up the ship card and valuables. Really, the only people left on those lecturing benches were observers we brought with us, our parents. So not just anyone can wander around back there, at least not that I could see. But probably a good idea to lock up the important stuff, although your towel and bag will probably be fine back there in the observation area since it is fairly close to you. And it might be that you can fit all your stuff in it. But a giant beach bag like mine (it had my mermaid fin in it, so I couldn't scrunch) won't likely fit into the locker. Happy dolphin kisses!
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
n8nally
DIS Veteran
 
n8nally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 702

Thanks! I've just read so much on here about how crappy Nassau is and how ghetto and dangerous and so much crime, blah, blah. I sometimes get carried away with all the posts.

I forget I am a native New Yorker and "I got this", lol! Some people have so much fear of everything. I won't allow myself to fall victim to the fear and miss out on some fun times in the Bahamas!
__________________






I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)


n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran
 
TwinPrincessMermaids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: KY
Posts: 3,465

Those are typically the people that don't book anything in Nassau. You basically look around and say "ok, back to the ship it is..." unless you are brave enough to walk to the local beach, which our friends did. We have booked great tours both times in Nassau. Gorgeous water and great fish.

If you have booked something, that is a different story. If Nassau is new to you, well, you get right off at this colorful pier and you will see RIGHT AWAY the guards (who i am assuming are armed) in camouflage. If you book a tour like we did both times (one to Blue Lagoon, one a SeaHorse catamaran and snorkel) they literally ESCORT you right to your boat through the gates. They are very security conscious.

On the way back, if you go around the town to the straw market (we got great lil goodies, like a handmade basket bag with little mermaid on it or dolphins and they add your name) or to the rum shops, well it is a bit less secure. However, me and my twinkie ran around shopping for about 30 min. We kept our wits about us, but we were never 'afraid'. And everyone offered good directions to get to the shop we were looking for, all of which was very close to the ship.

But as you can see from my photos, the feeling on Blue Lagoon is totally different from the city. You will feel completely secure there. (not that I would trust your valuables completely because it is still the public and other cruisers or resort people...but it is fellow cruisers and staff there, that is it. not ghetto city...)

So that is my rant about Nassau...people that don't like it, don't do anything there and there is SO MUCH to offer... Good for you for picking Blue Lagoon! I hope you like it as much as we did.

On the other hand, I wasn't that impressed with Belize and some people go on and on about it...
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
bahacca
Mouseketeer
 
bahacca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: 15 minutes East of Disneyland
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post
Thanks! I've just read so much on here about how crappy Nassau is and how ghetto and dangerous and so much crime, blah, blah. I sometimes get carried away with all the posts.

I forget I am a native New Yorker and "I got this", lol! Some people have so much fear of everything. I won't allow myself to fall victim to the fear and miss out on some fun times in the Bahamas!
We did the Blue Lagoon and we didn't set foot in Nassau per say except to walk through the cruise ship area to get back on the Wonder.
I'd recommend the Blue Lagoon encounter or swim to anyone. Part of the reason I booked this was hearing about the town and how it wasn't that big of a deal. Our girls had some things to do in the clubs at about 3-4, so we took the first boat back at 1 after our encounter.
I will suggest you buy the pictures and the video. While observers will get great pics of the ANIMALS, your backs will be to them, so your reactions are lost. I had my DH video the Dolpin encounter. It is really fun to watch the one we bought showing our reactions and such and then the one he filmed where you can see the trainer behind us giving the signs, etc.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran
 
TwinPrincessMermaids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: KY
Posts: 3,465

We bought everything we could from the photographers, the DVD, the entire photo package and USB digital. It was that worth it. And we also love our candid pics, but as you say, they are both great. These photographers were actually trained to check each photo. At one point he had silently signaled to the trainer that a little boy with our encounter had closed his eyes in the photo so he got to do a redo kiss. So they make sure that all the photos are worth buying.

Such a great day. Nassau will be one of my faves for a long time.
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #14
We3forDisney
Earning My Ears
 
We3forDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 26

We are doing the dolphin swim in 10 days! It is going to be surprise for our DS he thinks because he is only 9 that he isn't allowed to swim with the dolphins. We can't wait to see his face when he figures out what is happening.
How much we're the photo packages - if I may ask?
Thanks
__________________
We3forDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
yaddakal
Mouseketeer
 
yaddakal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 413

Does anyone know if we want to get pictures at blue Lagoon if we can put it on our cruise acct or if you have to pay for it through blue Lagoon?
__________________
Kerry

Disney All Star Movies May 2009
Disney Port Orleans Riverside 2010
Disney Coronado Springs/Dream Cruise May 2013
Booked for Fantasy August 2014
yaddakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.