Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #16
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

I am not going to push the button (no pun intended, well, maybe a little one)....Guess I just hate to see him growing up He will have a fantastic time, guess I am the one who is so into the Disney thing (I even wanted us to wear matching clothes in the hopes of being picked as family of the day LOL)....in truth, as long as the kids have fun that's all I care about. My 8 year old daughter has to start a weight loss program when we return and I can't have her not eat the Disney food while we are there. Kind of like a last hurrah in a way. My son does have that same misting bottle He doesn't think about the trip having anything to do with his birthday and actually the dates just worked out like that so I should probably think the same way.....Now I just have to wait for June 15th to get here........never stayed at POR and an so excited!

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 13, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #17
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

All of the above to pick what he wears and wants to eat and do!

However, I once saw a family with a son about 13...........the Dad had a more or less small sign on the stick, saying *ITS HIS B'DAY*.

I watched as they went by one of the Photo pass folks and instant photos!

I don't know how long Dad got away with it...but I did give the Dad a *thumbs up*

aKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #18
ShelliRenee
Daughter of a King

I had the same problem two years ago when we took my son (he was 12). I wore the button. I told people that I did all the work 11 years ago, so I should get all the praise!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #19
rainynight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who

Yes. If what will make him happiest is no attention from strangers, give him that as a gift. Not everyone loves the spotlight.
Agree!
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #20
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
When my son was 13 he no longer was interested in Disney, so we left him in the room one day all by himself with explicit instructions not to leave. After spending all day alone his attitude improved dramatically.
Parenting done right! Love this. Will use it when my pair become teens.

I would not only "let" him plan the day, I would make him plan the day. Part of family vacation is making plans, whether they are ADRs, picking the parks, or whatever. Be prepared to sit around the pool all day, or hit the arcade, of whatever he wants.

Also be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. He may just consider others when he plans this, and put in activities that other people like. Responsibility for others' happiness may be something he takes quite seriously.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #21
Prose
DIS Veteran

Our DD celebrated her 13th at WDW this past October. Basically all the button got her was a little more attention from CMs and a few free cupcakes. Two things she did that were special were 1) rent one of the Watermice at POR and get to drive (with DH next to her) and 2) do a Junior Ridealong at the Speedway. If he likes cars at all, it will be amazing for him. She got to do 3 laps at over 100mph.....

MK 1973, Epcot 1991 with DH
First magical trip with DD June '07
Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Prose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #22
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Take him to Disney quest and innoventions in Epcot. Buy him a teen boy Disney shirt. My son had an Disney "I didn't do it shirt" "mr cool" "Daytona 500". Check online. We got most at the outlet store. Let him choose the ADR. They have cool hats too. My son got a lot of attention from the CMs with those shirts.

That's the cool age and mine would not wear the birthday button either at least after his 12th bday.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #23
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
When my son was 13 he no longer was interested in Disney, so we left him in the room one day all by himself with explicit instructions not to leave. After spending all day alone his attitude improved dramatically.

Typhoon lagoon sounds like fun. Does he like Disney Quest. That can be fun.
Oh that reminds me that my teen son said I slowed down his touring style. I said fine go with your cousin and do whatever you want. They were back in 45 min as the lines were just as long for them. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #24
PrincessJo
Mouseketeer

We were at WDW this past November for my son's 16th birthday. The CM made him a birthday button and he took it politely.

Later he said he didn't want to wear it. I made him wear it for one day. He got tons of birthday wishes and loved it. He even put his button back on the next day all on his own. I didn't say a word...

My son is always thanking me for making him do things he doesn't want to do because in the end he almost always has fun and would have missed out. Just my own experience

Magic, March 9-15, 2013 (Western Caribbean)
Dream, Nov 21-24, 2014 (Bahamas) / Port Orleans French Quarter

DH Me DS(17) Sophie Maggie
PrincessJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #25
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiemom View Post
We are booked at POR for June 15-23. My son turns 13 on the 26th. We celebrated his 9th birthday at CSR and he wore the Disney birthday button with no problem.....well of course he is too old for that (so HE says)....I told him it is so Photopass photogs will take more pics .......he couldn't care less.....any thoughts how I can make his birthday a little "cooler"?????
If he does not want to west a button, it will only cause YOU more frustration to try and make him do so. Save yourself the grief and let it go.

Perhaps you can ask him to pick a dinner spot...
Wilderness Lodge Club Level - 2010, 2013
We'll be home soon...
CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #26
disnut8
DIS Veteran

When my son was 13, I had him (and his father) rank every single attraction at Disney World from "No way Jose" to "yes, yes, yes!" I think I had ten different categories (like "only with a small wait, etc.). That was when I realized my son was so into movies as just about everything at MGM (now the Studios) was "yes, yes, yes!"

Maybe do that so you know what your son wants.

And I so agree with not wearing the button. Would you make him wear that to school?
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #27
las3888
DIS Veteran

I understand why you would want him to wear the button. It might be fruitless, but perhaps someone in the family could wear it on a bag or backpack as a PP has mentioned. If not, I would probably let it go. Good luck!
las3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #28
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiemom View Post
We are booked at POR for June 15-23. My son turns 13 on the 26th. We celebrated his 9th birthday at CSR and he wore the Disney birthday button with no problem.....well of course he is too old for that (so HE says)....I told him it is so Photopass photogs will take more pics .......he couldn't care less.....any thoughts how I can make his birthday a little "cooler"?????
I'm not really understanding the question.

Maybe he wants to celebrate his birthday on the 26th, which is his birthday?

Are you not doing anything for his birthday on his birthday?
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #29
bennifer
Mouseketeer

Oh, how I feel for you! 13 is hard for everyone. My experience was I let my son pick a lot of the activities, most of the restaurants and then I crossed my fingers. It was one of the best trips! He was happy, he let himself enjoy still being a kid and that made me happy! I hope you are able to have the same kind of good experience!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #30
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Ok...............................

I have already mentioned I am not going to pursue the button thing anymore......and yes his birthday will be celebrated on his actual birthday after we return home....just thought since we will be there so close to his birthday we could tie it in. He will not be made to wear the button if he doesn't want to. BTW, Disney Quest did not go over well last year and I am glad we won't be going this time. I will make sure he gets to do the things he really enjoys doing while we are there (Typhoon Lagoon wave, Test Track, etc.). I also plan on letting my daughter eat what she wants while we are there for her last "food hurrah" before starting the weight loss program when we get back. As long as they have fun that's all I care about.

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 13, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: