Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
dskib
DIS Veteran

Dinner - My sleeveless tops are nicer than my reg tops

Seriously. Most of my sleeveless tanks are quite dressy looking and frankly would look nicer at dinner. Are they really that picky? Because everything else is pretty much a TShirt. That's fine, I'm a rule follower, but I'd look better for dinner in the dressy tanks.
dskib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
lorenni
DIS Veteran

This sounds a lot like our summer interns "but these sandals were $150 at Nordstrom"

Too bad - they are still against dress code...

As many will tell you, DCL does not enforce the dress code in the MDRs. So you can make your own decision.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

I have very dressy sleeveless tops that aren't tank tops (think beading $50/$75 shirts, I sometimes wear them to work in a professional office setting) that are perfectly fine for dinner. I pair them with black pants and am all set. I also bring one really light little cardigan just in case I get cold since sometimes it's a little chilly after being in the sun all day.
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
disney honeymooners
Disneyholic

I am wearing one right now at work (i do put a light sweater over it) and i am planning on wearing it in the MDR with the sweater (i tend to get cold after dinner no clue why) There is a difference between a dressy sleeveless top and a spaghetti strap tank top or a wife beater type one that mean wear those are most def. not allowed(or aren't supposed to be allowed).

disney honeymooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Kewz1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney honeymooners View Post
I am wearing one right now at work (i do put a light sweater over it) and i am planning on wearing it in the MDR with the sweater (i tend to get cold after dinner no clue why) There is a difference between a dressy sleeveless top and a spaghetti strap tank top or a wife beater type one that mean wear those are most def. not allowed(or aren't supposed to be allowed).
I completely agree with the above.

I'll have a suitcase filled with dressy sleeveless shirts for my upcoming cruise.

Don't sweat it.

Kristen
Disney 5K:2003
DCL:2000 (Wonder/Bahamas), 2008 (Magic/W. Caribbean), 2011 (Dream/Bahamas), 2013 (Magic/EB Transatlantic), 2014 (Dream/Mexico)... and now May 2015 (Dream/Bahamas)!

Kewz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskib View Post
Seriously. Most of my sleeveless tanks are quite dressy looking and frankly would look nicer at dinner. Are they really that picky? Because everything else is pretty much a TShirt. That's fine, I'm a rule follower, but I'd look better for dinner in the dressy tanks.
Now you know everyone responding is taking for granted that dskib is a girl. Is your responses the same if dskib is a boy telling you "HIS" tank tops are dressy?
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008

Last edited by MikeAndNick; 04-18-2013 at 11:29 AM.
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

This didn't even occur to me last summer when I started buying stuff for our intended (and now happening) cruise this summer. (I'm not one that has to have the latest fashions, so I bought a dress or two each month to stock up.) And pretty much every dress I bought is sleeveless. Hmmm...
Old 04-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndNick View Post
Now you know everyone responding is taking for granted that dskib is a girl. Is your responses the same if dskib is a boy telling you "HIS" tank tops are dressy?
I have never seen a "dressy" tank top for a guy. I think the equivalent is a short sleeve dress shirt. One of those double standard things, don't think many people would enjoy a guy's exposed arm pits across the table at dinner.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Don't know I've ever seen a dressy men's tank. Just sayin'.

You're not supposed to wear sleeveless/strapless in the MDRs??? That's news to me but then I haven't read all the guidelines, suggestions, rules, whatever. I wear sundresses & maxi dresses that are all free of sleeves or straps. They look nice. It's not a swimsuit cover. It's not a tshirt. Looks nice, definitely "cruise casual" to me. Didn't even realize real world standards might not apply on the Disney ships.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
9/14 DCL Dream w/friends
9/14 Disneyland sans kids
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
11/15 DCL Wonder
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
JNRstudios90
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Thanks for the laugh, You made me think of Richard Simmons.
He has some pretty fancy tanks. LOL
I am a woman who personally doesn't care for the sleeveless dress tops.
That being said it seems almost impossible sometimes to find some that aren't, they are very popular.
JNRstudios90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
SapphireMind
Mouseketeer

I would call a sleeveless shirt that is dressy a sleeveless shell. Those are fine for a nice dinner.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
Don't know I've ever seen a dressy men's tank. Just sayin'.
Ready for Dinner....
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Ready for Dinner....
Gotta bedazzle that up!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

I was thinking the same because I have many maxi style dresses with tank tops or even spaghetti straps, but they are perfect "cruise casual." ..... I am one of these that kind of wishes dress codes were enforced a bit and I think these dressy sleeveless tops/dresses will be perfect.

But a wife beater.... ummmm no! ha!

Etsy ID: ALPhandmade
Jiminy'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskib View Post
You will be fine.

Honestly the Disney dress code is more of a 'suggestion' then an 'enforcement' This just allows them to say "UH NO" when you show up in a swim suit top
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: