Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #16
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
Not sure about that. My husband is over 50, born, raised and works in downtown Toronto and refers to it as the Fairmont Royal York.
Yeah that's more along the lines of what I meant people who live and work in Toronto will use Royal York in the name where as tourist mainly from the Us will just call it the fairmont and not have Royal York as part of the name.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
Yeah that's more along the lines of what I meant people who live and work in Toronto will use Royal York in the name where as tourist mainly from the Us will just call it the fairmont and not have Royal York as part of the name.
See, people I know (live/work in Toronto) just call it the "Royal York" - no mention of Fairmont at all (same with Chateau Laurier and Chateau Frontenac). Just interesting how different people's experiences are (for the same hotel).

To bring this back on topic - OP, I actually quite like The Queen Elizabeth in Montreal (another Fairmont). Not as special as the Chateau Frontenac, but quite nice (not sure if you are interested in sticking with Fairmont hotels). I've not stayed at the Four Seasons in Montreal, but I'm sure it is great.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #18
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

I would strongly suggest that the OP stay in Quebec City and avoid Montreal altogether. In my experience, there are more rude wannabe separatists in Montreal than Quebec City.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvavacation View Post
Ahh, just as I feared, many more suggestions on places to see and experience! I love it! Thank you!!

And I am glad to hear the positives regarding the Frontenac! I saw pictures of it years ago as a young girl, and have wanted to stay there ever since. I figured this was as good a time as any!

So for romance factor, QC seems to be concensus on the place for an extra day. Perhaps with a side trip for a night somewhere in Eastern Townships thrown in, as mentioned earlier. Oh yes, this is going to be fun. I just love discovering new places, and I do appreciate all your recommendations.

I do have a question brought up regarding the drive from Montreal to Toronto, and it's boring factor. Forgive me, I have not looked at depth on a map, but are there side roads that also go through if I decide not to take the highway? This trip isn't about getting somewhere as fast as possible (unlike when we drive to Disney, then it is all about speed!), but rather experiencing something new together. After all, it is 25 years, we need some new things to talk about! If off the beaten path holds great adventure, then off we go!

Thanks again!
Hi,

The boring factor was why I suggested you tag on the Eastern Townships so that you could circle into the States and back into Canada later. The Eastern Townships is very close to the border. I live in downtown Toronto - I visit all the time. And I couldn't take another straight 401 drive from TO to Mtl or the townships.

So for years I have been doing a spectacular drive. I'm sure you caught it but just in case I was rambling all over the place. Crossing (there or back) at Gananoque, Ontario (Thousand Islands area). Along the Adirondacks - Saranac Lake - Lake Placid - crossing by ferry either long crossing at Lake Champlain or short by driving the Lake Champlain islands and quaint towns. Many choices - could go north or south include Burlington, VT (lovely downtown area) or go to Stowe - Ben and Jerry's etc. So many options. Sunset is a beautiful time to cross on the ferry.

Many routes up through Northern VT - straight up to MTL (missing most of the townships) OR crossing at Newport VT area into Standstead, QC. The Eastern Townships are right there at the Standstead/Derby Line border.

North Hatley is under a half an hour from that border crossing. Ayer's Cliff is also a pretty town. But my heart is in North Hatley. Hovey Manor is not the only auberge. There's the Ripplecove Inn as well. Not sure what shape it's in. Also, in this area the fall colours come much earlier. If you're going in September you could be bang on - LOVELY.

And the crossing at Gananoque/Thousand Islands is lovely. Boat cruises on both sides.

This route will put hours on your commute to TO but it's gorgeous. You know the kind of drives that are peaceful to the soul.

As for alternatives to the 401 - yes there is the Thousand Islands Parkway and Highway 2. I've done both multiple times and like the VT/NY route will put hours onto your drive. But the one above has my heart more. Smiling, at one point I'll stop pushing it.

If you do choose the Canadian route for Montreal to Toronto google Prince Edward County, Ontario. There's wineries, beaches and trails and festivals etc.

I just looked up their website. I had no idea but it's the second largest area of Loyalist architecture - my beloved Williamsburg, VA being the first. http://prince-edward-county.com/

Kingston is a historic, university town. But if you visit make sure you go right down to the core of all of these areas. A lot of these towns have what one might call ugly commercial buildings at the north 401 end of them. You have to go right into the original towns - south of the 401 or off or right on Highway 2/Thousand Islands Parkway.

Port Hope is a pretty town as well.

Last edited by lisaviolet; 04-19-2013 at 03:15 PM.
lisaviolet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #20
Freesia123
DIS Veteran

I live in Quebec City. Feel free to message me. I'd suggest five days here :-) you'll love it! The Chateau Frontenac is the best hotel in town with a prime location.
Freesia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #21
Freesia123
DIS Veteran

Here we call it Le Chateau :-) I knew it was a Faurmont but have never in my 17 years living here heard it called that by French or English people.
Freesia123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: