Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
TheDisneyOutsider
Mouseketeer

A Few Dining Plan Questions...

So we are going to Disney in June and have decided to get the dining plan for the week. We have already made reservations and what not for the week, but have yet to purchase the plan.

We are about to purchase the plan however I have two questions...

1. We are getting to Disney at 1pm on our first day, and have reservations at the Rainforest cafe that night. We are thinking we will just pay out of pocket for this since we will not be eating breakfast or lunch that day. Is that the best way to do it?

2. Also, we plan on going to Universal in the middle of the week and therefore will not need the dining plan that day...If we purchase, let's say 5 day dining, and one of the first five days is universal, will it still count as a day gone, even though we didn't use that day? If so, how will we go about booking the plan, while skipping one day in the middle?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Mom&Dad Dylan Ryan Me

Disney lover since 1995
TheDisneyOutsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisneyOutsider View Post
So we are going to Disney in June and have decided to get the dining plan for the week. We have already made reservations and what not for the week, but have yet to purchase the plan.

1. We are getting to Disney at 1pm on our first day, and have reservations at the Rainforest cafe that night. We are thinking we will just pay out of pocket for this since we will not be eating breakfast or lunch that day. Is that the best way to do it?

2. Also, we plan on going to Universal in the middle of the week and therefore will not need the dining plan that day...If we purchase, let's say 5 day dining, and one of the first five days is universal, will it still count as a day gone, even though we didn't use that day? If so, how will we go about booking the plan, while skipping one day in the middle?

Dining plan credits are based on the number of nights in your resort stay. You don't get to choose how many days you have the plan. You will have access to all credits immediately at check in. You can use them in any order you wish from the time you check in until 11:59pm on the day you check out. I would not pay OOP for you RC meal. If you have booked more ADRs than you have TS credits for, then just pay OOP for the meal that would be the cheapest out of the meals you have booked.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The dining plan goes by the number of nights you stay, not by the number of days. So, if you are there for 5 nights on the regular DDP (1TS/1CS/1 snack), each person will get a total of 5 TS, 5 CS, and 5 snack credits for the trip to use however they want. The credits are pooled together on your KTTW card and do not have to used each day. However, any credits remaining will expire at midnight of your check out day.

Also, in order to get the DDP, you must book a package (room + tickets + DDP) as park tickets are required to get the DDP (unless you are an AP holder or a DVC member staying on points). If you currently have a room only reservation, you will need to cancel that and rebook a package with tickets and DDP as the DDP can't be added to a room only reservation. Room only and packages are different reservation systems, so money paid toward one cannot be applied to the other.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
TheDisneyOutsider
Mouseketeer

Ok thank you!! That makes a lot more sense now!!

Mom&Dad Dylan Ryan Me

Disney lover since 1995
Old 05-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
wdwobsessed
I love Disney ... I love Disney ... I love Disney ... Did I mention I love Disney?

I would figure out how many credits you will be using during the week to decide if you are doing to need to pay OOP for the first nights meal.

You can "bank" your credits for the day you will be at US and use them on a nicer signature meal.

It seems you may think you have to use your credits each day? You don't have to. If you are doing regular dining plan you could have breakfast before you head over to US with your Counter Serve credit and then earlier or later in the week use your TS credit you aren't using that day to have a nice signature dinner.

Hope this helps.
Two years is too long! CSR coming up October 2013! / Poly December 2011 / Poly November 2010 /WL & BC Club level June 2010! / POFQ - August 2009/ CR & YC- September 2006 / WL - December 2005 / Universal / RPR - August 2004 /AS Movies & Poly - August 2002 / Disney Wonder - April 2002 / WL & YC - September 2001/ Offsite - December 1999, February 1995, February 1994 / YC - June 1992/ Poly - August 1987/FW - January 1978[/FONT]
wdwobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
TheDisneyOutsider
Mouseketeer

Sorry, one more quick question. You said that you need a package to get the dining plan. My mom booked our hotel on a different site than Disney (not sure which one, bookit maybe), but plans to buy the park hopper tickets from Disney themselves. We are still staying at a Disney hotel, and will have the park hoppers.Will we still be allowed to get the DDP?

Mom&Dad Dylan Ryan Me

Disney lover since 1995
Old 05-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sorry, one more quick question. You said that you need a package to get the dining plan. My mom booked our hotel on a different site than Disney (not sure which one, bookit maybe), but plans to buy the park hopper tickets from Disney themselves. We are still staying at a Disney hotel, and will have the park hoppers.Will we still be allowed to get the DDP?
No. In order to get the dining plan, you must book the hotel and tickets at the same time as a package. Can you cancel the reservation with the third-party site and rebook?
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
TheDisneyOutsider
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
No. In order to get the dining plan, you must book the hotel and tickets at the same time as a package. Can you cancel the reservation with the third-party site and rebook?
Ok thanks. My mom is going to see what she can do tomorrow. We usually don't do the Dining plan and tend to eat off property a lot, but we thought we would try out the DDP to see how we liked it. If it doesn't work out we will just do what we normally do and try the plan the next time, since we are sure to be back

Mom&Dad Dylan Ryan Me

Disney lover since 1995
Old 05-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
The dining plan goes by the number of nights you stay, not by the number of days. So, if you are there for 5 nights on the regular DDP (1TS/1CS/1 snack), each person will get a total of 5 TS, 5 CS, and 5 snack credits for the trip to use however they want. The credits are pooled together on your KTTW card and do not have to used each day. However, any credits remaining will expire at midnight of your check out day.

Also, in order to get the DDP, you must book a package (room + tickets + DDP) as park tickets are required to get the DDP (unless you are an AP holder or a DVC member staying on points). If you currently have a room only reservation, you will need to cancel that and rebook a package with tickets and DDP as the DDP can't be added to a room only reservation. Room only and packages are different reservation systems, so money paid toward one cannot be applied to the other.

We received offer we are Castaway Cay Club Members? We just returned in the early spring from our first Disney cruise. We'd like to try WDW with the Pkg.

My interpretation from one post on another thread is that an Adult receives approx. 150 credits? For food during the stay. Does that mean that a Restaurant meal = so many credits.

If so what for instance would the most expensive meal cost in credits?

Any other clarifications greatly appreciated.

Last edited by NFLDERS; 05-18-2013 at 06:54 AM.
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post

We received offer we are Castaway Cay Club Members? We just returned in the early spring from our first Disney cruise. We'd like to try WDW with the Pkg.

My interpretation from one thread is that an Adult receives approx. 150 credits? For food during the stay. Does that mean that a Restaurant meal = so many credits.

Any other clarifications greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
G719
Mouseketeer

My interpretation from one post here is that an Adult receives approx. 150 credits? For food during the stay. Does that mean that a Restaurant meal = so many credits.

Any other clarifications greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

An adult receives, on the regular dining plan, 1 quick service, 1 table service, and 1 snack per each night of their vacation package. A table service meal costs 1 credit. There are a few restaurants that will cost you 2 credits. A table service meal will be an entree, drink, and dessert. It doesn't matter what the meal costs, it would still be 1 credit. A table service meal may also be a buffet or a family style meal. This is still 1 credit no matter the cost. Except of course for those 2 credit places which are the signature restaurants and Cinderella's table and dinner shows.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Thanks G719, I think I understand. Don't know how I got 150/1 Adult 5nights?
Old 05-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
G719
Mouseketeer

Glad to help! Here is the official handout for 2013 from disney for the dining plan. It explains a lot of the questions people have and lists the restaurants available.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/me...2013Dining.pdf

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: