Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #706
dtstampz
Mouseketeer

I agree that the AP rates are rather disappointing. I am SO glad I booked a Bounce Back trip back in Feb. for this month. We are staying at CSR but I was checking AP rates for
a possible split stay (which I love). Guess we will stay put at CSR and enjoy.
Sept. 2013 CSR **May 2014 CSR**

No new trip planned...so sad!
dtstampz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #707
Pluto27
Earning My Ears

My wonderful AP experience. In March I had booked a trip for my wife and I for Oct 18 - Oct 28th. I gradually made payments and waited with everyone else for the AP discounts to come out. I had booked a stay at the AKL with the Standard dining. Of course my trip needed to be paid off yesterday and the same day the AP rates came out. I called at exactly 7am and got right on and was told by the CM that the rates weren't out yet and to call back tomorrow (today). I told her I was looking at the discounts online and she said they weren't available, sorry. So I hung up and called back and after a small delay had a new CM. I asked if I could book the AP discount. Prior to the discount the room and dining came to roughly $5,000 ( I'm sharing this information for story purposes) of the $5,000 roughly $3,600 for room. With the 35% discount I was anticipating saving $1,260 dollars. The cast member informed me that my new total was $4,350 so a savings of $650. Now I was happy about getting this discount, but I was positive it was incorrect. She informed me that I would only get the discounts on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday due to the limited availability. This didn't satsify me so I called back and got another CM. She was very rude and told me that my numbers are off and that I am getting the full 35%, and that she was finished trying to explain it to me. So once again I called back and spoke to another CM who took a look at my reservation and said your not saving 35% at all, that the earlier CM has put in a code that she had no idea what it was to even save me the $650. So she said she would at the 35%, but just my luck the discounted room at the AKL were all sold out (great). So she checked the other deluxe resorts. Which, of course they were all sold out as well. After getting off the phone this really bothered me that I waited this whole time for nothing. If I knew I wasn't going to get a discount I would not have renewed my AP in August and would have booked a free dining or general public discoutn. So I called back down again to see if there were any availability for the GP discount and figured I would just cancel my dining plan and pay the food out of pocket if I was able to get the room discounted. Well once again, all the discounted rooms were sold out. The whole day really bothered me and I tossed and turned all night trying to think of a solution. This morning I woke up and checked online and there infront of me I was seeing a standard room at the AKL had opened up for the entire length of my stay under the General Public discount. So at 7am I called back and asked if I could change my AP room/with dining to the General Public Room Only offer. She said yes I could do that, but I would have to pay $200 for cancelling my original reservation under the 45 days (today was day 44). After a bit of a hassle they waived the $200 fee. I was not allowed to transfer the paid in full balance from my package to the new room only discount, so I had to put down a 1 nights deposit, however I will be refunded the full price of my package. So at the end of the day my new trip is down to $2,580 compared to the $4,350 that I had with this mystery discount and compared to the $5,000 that my pacakge was at before all of this mess started yesterday. So, I lose out on the dining plan (which was costing about $1100 for the two of us) (but I do have TIW) but now save just about $1,800. So everything worked out, but I really am debating ever renewing the AP ever again. Sorry for the long story, but good luck to everyone else as they try to get their vacations in order
Past Trips: June '90 - Disney Inn; July '95 - Contemporary; August '97 - Contemporary; July '02 - Wilderness Lodge; June '03 Yacht Club; August '05 Wilderness Lodge; December '10 Yacht Club; May '11 - Wilderness Lodge; Dec '11 - Contemporary; Aug '12 - Saratoga Springs October '12 - Yacht Club
Upcoming Trips December '12 - Animal Kingdom Lodge Feb/March '13 - Port Orleans Riverside
Pluto27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #708
yolie912
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto27 View Post
My wonderful AP experience. In March I had booked a trip for my wife and I for Oct 18 - Oct 28th. I gradually made payments and waited with everyone else for the AP discounts to come out. I had booked a stay at the AKL with the Standard dining. Of course my trip needed to be paid off yesterday and the same day the AP rates came out. I called at exactly 7am and got right on and was told by the CM that the rates weren't out yet and to call back tomorrow (today). I told her I was looking at the discounts online and she said they weren't available, sorry. So I hung up and called back and after a small delay had a new CM. I asked if I could book the AP discount. Prior to the discount the room and dining came to roughly $5,000 ( I'm sharing this information for story purposes) of the $5,000 roughly $3,600 for room. With the 35% discount I was anticipating saving $1,260 dollars. The cast member informed me that my new total was $4,350 so a savings of $650. Now I was happy about getting this discount, but I was positive it was incorrect. She informed me that I would only get the discounts on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday due to the limited availability. This didn't satsify me so I called back and got another CM. She was very rude and told me that my numbers are off and that I am getting the full 35%, and that she was finished trying to explain it to me. So once again I called back and spoke to another CM who took a look at my reservation and said your not saving 35% at all, that the earlier CM has put in a code that she had no idea what it was to even save me the $650. So she said she would at the 35%, but just my luck the discounted room at the AKL were all sold out (great). So she checked the other deluxe resorts. Which, of course they were all sold out as well. After getting off the phone this really bothered me that I waited this whole time for nothing. If I knew I wasn't going to get a discount I would not have renewed my AP in August and would have booked a free dining or general public discoutn. So I called back down again to see if there were any availability for the GP discount and figured I would just cancel my dining plan and pay the food out of pocket if I was able to get the room discounted. Well once again, all the discounted rooms were sold out. The whole day really bothered me and I tossed and turned all night trying to think of a solution. This morning I woke up and checked online and there infront of me I was seeing a standard room at the AKL had opened up for the entire length of my stay under the General Public discount. So at 7am I called back and asked if I could change my AP room/with dining to the General Public Room Only offer. She said yes I could do that, but I would have to pay $200 for cancelling my original reservation under the 45 days (today was day 44). After a bit of a hassle they waived the $200 fee. I was not allowed to transfer the paid in full balance from my package to the new room only discount, so I had to put down a 1 nights deposit, however I will be refunded the full price of my package. So at the end of the day my new trip is down to $2,580 compared to the $4,350 that I had with this mystery discount and compared to the $5,000 that my pacakge was at before all of this mess started yesterday. So, I lose out on the dining plan (which was costing about $1100 for the two of us) (but I do have TIW) but now save just about $1,800. So everything worked out, but I really am debating ever renewing the AP ever again. Sorry for the long story, but good luck to everyone else as they try to get their vacations in order
Wow Pluto! What a horrid experience. Sucks. Well I booked my room only ressie with cheaptickets.com.

Disney really needs to step up their game.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #709
Disney Diva Mom
Mouseketeer

Wow!! Glad you were able to get that worked out! I'm still grumbling about a 10% discount at AKL. means I'm going to have to change rooms. Ugh!
Disney Diva Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #710
pj_in_florida
Earning My Ears

I haven't read through this whole thread, but like many of the others, I'm pretty frustrated with the discounts. For the past two years, we've been able to book 3 nights over the weekends during F&W at BWV for around $270/night w/AP discount. I just found a weekday night for around $300 - and those are usually cheaper!

I was hesitant, but I'm very glad now that we opted to go for a room at the Swan. Even with all the BS fees that the Swan & Dolphin add, it's still much cheaper. We just want to be walking distance to F&W. Swan and Dolphin were offering rooms for around $139 night during F&W. Keep in mind there's like $60 more in taxes/fees, but it's still cheaper. Check it out and see if it's still available if you're interested. It wasn't my first option, but I think we made the right choice.
pj_in_florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #711
PrincessAlways
DIS Veteran

Pluto that was a terrible experience! The AP discounts have been a nightmare lately. I seriously suggest you actually contact Disney with your story of difficulties! They should be made aware that some of the CMs have NO idea what they're doing!
POR, 2003 OKW,2004 Poly, 2005 SSR (June), Pop (Sept), CSR (Nov), 2006 OKW (May), Swan (Sept), OKW (Nov), 2007 Pop (Feb), OKW (June), CR (Sept), BWV (Nov), 2008 CSR (April), OKW (July), SSR (Dec)2009 Pop (March) OKW (May) BLT (Nov), 2010 BLT (May) AKL (Oct) 2011 SWAN (March) BLT (June) AKL (Nov) OKW (Nov) 2012 BWI (March) OKW (May) POR Royal (Oct) OKW (Nov) 2013 BWV (Apr) offsite (July) Kidani (Dec) 2014 AKL (April) OKW (Nov)
PrincessAlways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #712
mkymouse4ever
DIS Veteran

Talking

Quote:
OMG,
What a mess. Glad you finally got something.
Remember, each time they look into your reservation I am sure the computer has a hx of what was done > or changed. At some point I would ask for a manager / or lead cm. Explain you've called so many different times > and told NO not available yet / or they are not out yet... . They should really of offered you the 35% discount > due to the fact if the 1st one had done her job > you would of been in, and gotten your discount.

Sorry about your experience. We didn't get a ap discount either. I had the general code and at CR it was better. But, we are divided into 4 different ressies > for a total of 11 nites. Just to get the dates I needed. We could not get all togther only broken up. and 1 day in middle is only a AAA rate day.
I was lucky to take this mess cause there was NO availblity at CR for my dates. And CR was listed at only 25% off.
I also had a bounceback rate > but not available at CR. We wanted it for the fireworks views mnsshp > so just stayed put.

Hope you have a great time. We also are oct. 17> 30. Now we just have to hope for great weather.

GF [x4], POLY [x22], CR [x27], YC [x3], BC [x6], BCV, AKV / KIDANI, AKL, BWV, SSR, WL, CSR, CBR, DXL, PO-RS [x7], Dolphin, Swan, DCL's Wonder [x2], PFB [x2], HRH, & Royal Plaza
mkymouse4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #713
Pluto27
Earning My Ears

I did finally speak to a manager today and told them the story and they said they would make everyone aware of the discounts being available. But, at that point it was too late. I mean I was glad I got the 30% off, but it's such a shame we couldn't use the AP. I asked how this could happen and I was explained the following. For example we will use the AKL. Say Disney decides to discount a 100 rooms from oct through December. Those 100 rooms are for all discounts, free dining, general public offer, AP discounts, third party vendors, etc. So then it turns into first come first serve. So then 100 general public discounted rooms could be sold before any other discounts are available, which doesnt make sense. I was under the impression that they saved a few rooms for each discount, but the lead CM explained that this isn't the case. I said well then there is an easy solution. Release all the discounts for one time period at the same time. Then everyone has a fair chance to get the discount. Plus I think if u have an existing reservation and a room saved, they should be able to apply the discount for that room, not have to book u in a designated "discounted room"
Past Trips: June '90 - Disney Inn; July '95 - Contemporary; August '97 - Contemporary; July '02 - Wilderness Lodge; June '03 Yacht Club; August '05 Wilderness Lodge; December '10 Yacht Club; May '11 - Wilderness Lodge; Dec '11 - Contemporary; Aug '12 - Saratoga Springs October '12 - Yacht Club
Upcoming Trips December '12 - Animal Kingdom Lodge Feb/March '13 - Port Orleans Riverside
Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #714
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I did finally speak to a manager today and told them the story and they said they would make everyone aware of the discounts being available. But, at that point it was too late. I mean I was glad I got the 30% off, but it's such a shame we couldn't use the AP. I asked how this could happen and I was explained the following. For example we will use the AKL. Say Disney decides to discount a 100 rooms from oct through December. Those 100 rooms are for all discounts, free dining, general public offer, AP discounts, third party vendors, etc. So then it turns into first come first serve. So then 100 general public discounted rooms could be sold before any other discounts are available, which doesnt make sense. I was under the impression that they saved a few rooms for each discount, but the lead CM explained that this isn't the case. I said well then there is an easy solution. Release all the discounts for one time period at the same time. Then everyone has a fair chance to get the discount. Plus I think if u have an existing reservation and a room saved, they should be able to apply the discount for that room, not have to book u in a designated "discounted room"
If there are discounts available (some of the 100 rooms left), they can apply the discount to an existing reservation. They did it for me when the military discounts came out - took my already reserved CR rooms and applied the 40% discount. But had not discounted rooms been left, I would have had to look at other resorts or keep my non-discounted rooms.
OurBigTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #715
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj_in_florida View Post
I haven't read through this whole thread, but like many of the others, I'm pretty frustrated with the discounts. For the past two years, we've been able to book 3 nights over the weekends during F&W at BWV for around $270/night w/AP discount. I just found a weekday night for around $300 - and those are usually cheaper!

I was hesitant, but I'm very glad now that we opted to go for a room at the Swan. Even with all the BS fees that the Swan & Dolphin add, it's still much cheaper. We just want to be walking distance to F&W. Swan and Dolphin were offering rooms for around $139 night during F&W. Keep in mind there's like $60 more in taxes/fees, but it's still cheaper. Check it out and see if it's still available if you're interested. It wasn't my first option, but I think we made the right choice.
I've tried to book Swan/Dolphin for years during F&W, unfortunately always during the time frame that is slammed with conventions = higher rates. Congrats on finding such a good rate for the epcot area. Was it a FLA resident rate?

AoA LM rooms sold out for time I need in January so I'll skip to next trip & hope AP pickings will be better next Mayand not released last minute.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #716
tink1953
Tink rocks!!!!!!!

I already have my room at the Movies standard view....can they just add the 5% of to the fall rate I already have even tho there are no standard rooms available for the full 20% off??

In other words will they just take 5% off my room??
Old 09-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #717
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Quote:
I don't understand, why doesn't this make sense?? Disney offers discounts to fill rooms. A general public code can be used by anyone, so that will give Disney the biggest chance to fill rooms. And they will try to get the most money they can for that room. They will not block a room from being sold for full price in order to book it at a discount. That wouldn't make sense.

I realize many AP holders have gotten used to getting frequent room discounts, but that is a "based on availability" benefit. It is not a guarantee. Years ago, AP discounts were always released last minute, again, when Disney had rooms to fill. They used room discounts to lure AP holders into a quick, unplanned trip. The last several years, they have released the AP rates earlier, but with the economy improving, I expect to see them go back to their old ways.

And of course, there's also the thought that booking a room at full price expecting to add a discount later actually hurts the chances of getting a discount. Again, if a hotel is booked almost to capacity, there is no reason for Disney to offer a discount for that hotel.

All that said, the website is showing AP availability for your dates right now (don't know what category you are looking for tho).
Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #718
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1953 View Post
I already have my room at the Movies standard view....can they just add the 5% of to the fall rate I already have even tho there are no standard rooms available for the full 20% off??

No. Each discount has a limited no. of rooms available & may not include all room categories. Having a certain category of room already booked will not get you a new discount if there is no availability under the new discount.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #719
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1953 View Post

i called late this afternoon for the AllStars hotels and had my 15% fall discount code switched to the 20% ap rate.

the TM took about 2 minutes to look up availability and then switch the code.
there were standard rooms available for my same dates.
received the new reservation email within minutes.

i had my room paid in full so they are putting the over payment onto my hotel credit.

the TM told me she had to change the codes in order to get the additional 5% discount off the room only ressie.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #720
Pluto27
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusondisney View Post
I don't understand, why doesn't this make sense?? Disney offers discounts to fill rooms. A general public code can be used by anyone, so that will give Disney the biggest chance to fill rooms. And they will try to get the most money they can for that room. They will not block a room from being sold for full price in order to book it at a discount. That wouldn't make sense.

I realize many AP holders have gotten used to getting frequent room discounts, but that is a "based on availability" benefit. It is not a guarantee. Years ago, AP discounts were always released last minute, again, when Disney had rooms to fill. They used room discounts to lure AP holders into a quick, unplanned trip. The last several years, they have released the AP rates earlier, but with the economy improving, I expect to see them go back to their old ways.

And of course, there's also the thought that booking a room at full price expecting to add a discount later actually hurts the chances of getting a discount. Again, if a hotel is booked almost to capacity, there is no reason for Disney to offer a discount for that hotel.

All that said, the website is showing AP availability for your dates right now (don't know what category you are looking for tho).

You are right from a Disney making money aspect it does make sense. However, the general public discount is not the best scenario for a AP holder because, with the general public discount if you want to have the dining plan you need to buy at least a 2 day park ticket per person. As an AP holder, why would you want to spend the money on the 2 day park ticket. If your not going to get a dining plan that's fine then just take the lesser of the general public discount

Also, you are right they offer discounts to fill rooms. However now currently there is the free dining, general public and AP discounts out. AP discounts are not available at the resort, however there are room available at the RAK rate. Wouldn't it be smart to discount those rooms so that they have someone in them and they are making some money instead of leaving them empty? Yes there are now discounted general public rooms (but yesterday when this fiasco started) they were not showing any standard rooms discounted. Plus I do find the run around between roughly 6 CMs a little out of hand. Nobody is on the same page.

I saw that they had the Savanna rooms available, but I was looking for a Pool view (which is what I had originally booked)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: