Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
skwarepants
Earning My Ears

Hollywood Studios half day next Saturday?

I really had my hopes up that my husband and I would be able to spend a full day at Disney world. We are heading to Florida for other reasons next weekend. Unfortunately, the full day did not work out. So our only option for visiting the world is on our arrival day next Saturday.

We have been to disney world with our children several times, but we pretty much catered to their entertainment which didn't include some of the things we wanted to do. For example, we have never seen Fantasmic. While we have done pretty much all the rides at Hollywood Studios, we have not done them TOGETHER.

Anyway, we have always been rope drop people. Never really stayed in the parks after 4 pm except to go back and watch fireworks. We chose HS because my husband really wants to see Fantasmic and I really love the Toy Story ride. We both like the other rides there. We would be arriving at HS around 1 pm next Saturday.

Kind of wondering what to expect. From what I have read, it looks like we will probably be out of luck for toy story FP. What about the other rides, do the FP usually last beyond 1 pm? Also, there are some fantasmic dinner packages left. How necessary is this reserved seating for Fantasmic?

In your opinion, is it worth going to the park so late in the day? And on a Saturday? Just curious.

Thanks
skwarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

I think it is definitely worth it, even if all you do is soak up the atmosphere I have a hard time going to Orlando without hitting Disney, even if just for an hour or two, so I don't blame you for wanting to catch just a bit of the magic.

DHS is Josh's second most recommended park for next Saturday, so you're in good shape there crowd-wise. As you mentioned, you're likely out of luck for a TSMM FP, but you might get lucky. Check first thing when you get there. If you're staying through park close, you can also try getting in line right at the end of the night. The wait might still be relatively long, but at least you won't be wasting time you could be spending doing other things, and it should certainly be shorter than it was when you arrived earlier in the day. FPs for the other rides should still be available when you get there and return times shouldn't be terribly far out; I'm thinking 2-3 hours max.

For Fantasmic, I personally don't see much value in the dinner package unless you really want/need to do the second showing for some reason. I can't imagine standing in that long line. But the reserved seating isn't the best view, and you still need to arrive 30 minutes before show time. I prefer this system:

1) Arrive 60 minutes prior to the first show time.
2) Grab dinner from the concession stand in the back - they serve baseball stadium-type food. Hot dogs, nachos, pretzels. You can also bring food in from other restaurants. Last Friday I went to Fairfax Fare and got a burger. They even let you take the tray with you.
3) Take your seat and enjoy your dinner while you wait. I usually end up somewhere in the center section. Note that if it's a windy evening, sitting too close to the front means you'll get wet.

This has worked great for me 4 times now. I would MUCH prefer to do my waiting while sitting and eating than while standing in line. And there is pre-show entertainment for the last 30 minutes before the show starts. So it's really not bad. I think you can get better seats this way than you would with the dining package.

I hope you and your husband have a great day at the Studios!

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
skwarepants
Earning My Ears

Thank you for the information! very helpful!!
skwarepants is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: