Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Sstroh
Earning My Ears

First trip date question

Hello! My BF and I are planning our first Disney vacation this year, and we have booked from Nov 28th-Dec 10th. We just put the deposit down today and then realized we will be arriving on Thanksgiving. We thought we had planned for the week after, and were hoping for lighter crowds.

My question is, will the weekend of Thanksgiving be really bad for crowds? Would it be worth it for us to try and reschedule? It's far enough out that it shouldn't be a problem, but it would be kind of nice to use less vacation days and we will be there for another whole week.

I have found conflicting information about the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, and most of it was several years old, so any advice or tips would be appreciated!
Sstroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sstroh View Post
Hello! My BF and I are planning our first Disney vacation this year, and we have booked from Nov 28th-Dec 10th. We just put the deposit down today and then realized we will be arriving on Thanksgiving. We thought we had planned for the week after, and were hoping for lighter crowds.

1- My question is, will the weekend of Thanksgiving be really bad for crowds?

2- Would it be worth it for us to try and reschedule? It's far enough out that it shouldn't be a problem, but it would be kind of nice to use less vacation days and we will be there for another whole week.
1- Very, very busy.
2- If you want much lower crowds, you could arrive on the following Monday, Dec. 2 (or even Sun, Dec. 1.)
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
ziggystardust
DIS Veteran

Thanksgiving and the days following will be busy. Crazy busy. After that, you should be fine. I've been reading threads that as early as Sunday ( following thanksgiving) the crowds lessened.

One of my favorite trips was the first week in December. Low crowds, great weather. But I guess that is all subject to change.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
cajmom
Addicted to Disney

We went this year during spring break. While some may say it was crowded, I didn't feel it was too bad because we went to rope drops and pulled fast passes and rode all we wanted too, except test track because it was raining while we were there. Just have a plan of what you want to ride and you should be okay. Also follow Josh's schedule. Well I suppose you don't have to but I found his tips to be a more manageable trip Have fun!!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Quote:

My question is, will the weekend of Thanksgiving be really bad for crowds? Would it be worth it for us to try and reschedule? It's far enough out that it shouldn't be a problem, but it would be kind of nice to use less vacation days and we will be there for another whole week.

I have found conflicting information about the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, and most of it was several years old, so any advice or tips would be appreciated!
I wouldn't worry to much about it if I were you.I arrived on Apr. 5 th which was a Friday still during Easter week. And Saturday too. Yes it was busier but like a pp stated just get to the park a lil earlier and head back to the resort earlier. That's what we did those first 2 or 3 days. And a according to your dates it looks like you'll be down there for 13 days....So there's no way you'll need to rush. You LoL have more than enough time to do and redo And Redo things over n over again.

Have fun n enjoy

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Thanksgiving is going to be very crowded but there is an up-side to using less vacation days. I'd stay with your original plan but be prepared for heavy crowds at the front end of your trip. It will lighten up after Turkey Day.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

It will be crazy, crazy busy. But I wouldn't change your dates, just adjust your touring plans for the first few days of your vacation. If you go into knowing what you are facing I think it will be more enjoyable.
You will see the crowds almost entirely disappear by Monday, the 2nd.
Have a great time!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
TheRustyScupper
Seeing isn't Believing. Believing is Seeing.

Quote:
. . . I have found conflicting information about the Thanksgiving holiday weekend . . .
1) Thanksgiving is the second busiest week at WDW.
2) Behind only Christmas week.
3) As for crowds, THINK
. . . busy-crowded
. . . shoulder-to-shoulder
. . . elbow-to-elbow
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper

1) Thanksgiving is the second busiest week at WDW.
2) Behind only Christmas week.
3) As for crowds, THINK
. . . busy-crowded
. . . shoulder-to-shoulder
. . . elbow-to-elbow
1) no it isn't, heck the first few weeks of summer break beat thanksgiving week.
Easter week is number 2.
Thanksgiving week is very manageable
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
Sstroh
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the information! I think we are going to stick with the plan and just make sure we are ready for a few busy days. I'm thinking it we can spend some time those first busy days planning an attack for when the crowds clear out :-)

Now I just have to figure out how to enjoy the rest of the year while waiting for this vacation!
Sstroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Quote:
Thanks for all the information! I think we are going to stick with the plan and just make sure we are ready for a few busy days. I'm thinking it we can spend some time those first busy days planning an attack for when the crowds clear out :-)
I was going to say that. You can grab a fastpass or two (or three) on those first few days and get a lay of the land so to speak. See the shows and wander where the crowds are less, maybe visit the resorts and book meals out of the parks. After the crowds clear, you will know basically where everything is and what you want to do so it will be easy to see and do everything.

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
ariane37
Mouseketeer

We arrived last year early evening on Thanksgiving and stayed for 10 days. Friday EPCOT was very busy,especially for us considering we usually go during slower times. However it was very manageable, nothing close to the pictures I've seen posted here of Spring Break crowds or week between Christmas/New Year's crowds !!! The Saturday after Thanksgiving we did a late breakfast,resort hopped to see the awesome Christmas decorations and played mini-golf, thus avoiding park crowds. HS was not overly crowded on Sunday and the rest of the week crowds were almost nonexistent. As a PP said you have 13 days so no need to cram things in to those first couple days after Thanksgiving; maybe use one of those days to enjoy your resort or go around and look at all the decorations. I definitely wouldn't change your dates. Have a great trip!!!
ariane37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
W.E.D.
Haunted Mansion junkie

Last trip we arrived the Saturday following Thanksgiving. We stayed at our resort that afternoon and evening and it was pretty busy. The next day we went to MK, got there at RD, and I'd say the crowds were average. By Monday the place was a ghost town. If you can survive those first couple days of your trip, you should be fine.
...hurry back......hurry back......be sure to bring your death certificate.
W.E.D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: