Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

Gators or snakes: Ever been seen at Grand Floridian??

Has anyone ever seem any gators or snakes on the grand Floridian grounds???
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Yes, both.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Turn the Page
DIS Veteran

The entire Walt Disney World grounds are completely free of snakes, lizards, gators, and assorted creepy crawlies, with the exception of whatever they have in exhibits at AK.
Turn the Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
AlexC21
Earning My Ears

I heard there was a gator in the magic kingdo a few years back where Tom Sayers is also near pop in the lake. But I did find a cockroach in the shower at pop also
AlexC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
msmama
DIS Veteran

I am obsessive about looking for Alligators in bodies of water in Florida and I don't think I've ever seen one on WDW property. That said, they are probably there, but I'm sure Disney folks keep a good eye on them.

I did see an Armadillo outside ASMovies once!!

msmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Rpasko
Earning My Ears

Saw a few in the waters around Shades of Green a few years ago.
Rpasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

Some years ago while looking at the water mill that is on Tom Sawyers island I saw a gator. Now not a big gator but yep a gator. Poor thing just wanted to sun itself in the warm Florida sun. Well I did take time for picture taking. I even took a few minutes of video whilest animal control was on way to take care of mr. gator.

Two of the biggest men in one peice Carhart type gear showed up to clear the area for MK guests. Now let me tell you the show those guys put on was leg slapping funny. At the end of the day the CM's tossed rocks at the gator until the gator slithered in to the Rivers of America. Remember there are canoes out there on that river with little kids reaching into the water to see how that water feels.

Not 20 seconds after the CM's walked back up the dirt path then that gator went back up on the dirt to sun itself again. LOL

Now please let me share it was just a 3-4 ft gator. Wonder how big it is today.

I have seen snakes-- I went screaming one way and it more then likely went screaming the other.

hope this answers your question. Yes, there are gators --everywhere on Disney property.
Happy 2 B Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
momto3boysillbe
Mouseketeer

I've wondered this several times before. I'm sure they have a way to keep an eye out for gators in particular but I have no idea how they can keep them out for sure.
momto3boysillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
Turn the Page
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy 2 B Me View Post
Some years ago while looking at the water mill that is on Tom Sawyers island I saw a gator. Now not a big gator but yep a gator. Poor thing just wanted to sun itself in the warm Florida sun. Well I did take time for picture taking. I even took a few minutes of video whilest animal control was on way to take care of mr. gator.

Two of the biggest men in one peice Carhart type gear showed up to clear the area for MK guests. Now let me tell you the show those guys put on was leg slapping funny. At the end of the day the CM's tossed rocks at the gator until the gator slithered in to the Rivers of America. Remember there are canoes out there on that river with little kids reaching into the water to see how that water feels.

Not 20 seconds after the CM's walked back up the dirt path then that gator went back up on the dirt to sun itself again. LOL

Now please let me share it was just a 3-4 ft gator. Wonder how big it is today.

I have seen snakes-- I went screaming one way and it more then likely went screaming the other.

hope this answers your question. Yes, there are gators --everywhere on Disney property.
In my world snakes and gators do not exist at Disney World. Why must you ruin this for me?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
jude&jonah
Mouseketeer

I worked at the Grand for a year and never saw either- so that probably helps to show that they're quite rare! Oh and my job was in recreation (marina, lifeguard, etc.) if someone would have seen them I would think I would have. I bet they're there- but just not many. I also used to take the boats out a lot and never saw alligators.

1995- Caribbean Beach / 1998 x2- Boardwalk & Fort Wilderness / 2002- Sheraton Vistana
2006- Sheraton Vistana / 2006 to 2007- Grand Floridian Cast Member /
2011- Coronado Springs / 2013 Caribbean Beach & Polynesian Split-Stay
Booked for March 2014 for 6 nights at Coronado Springs!
jude&jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
AuroraRora
Princess

Not Grand Floridian, but we had a run-in with a snake while playing mini golf at wdw. It showed up in the middle of my brother putting and explored our part of the course while we just stood and stared at it.
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
AuroraRora
Princess

Not Grand Floridian, but we had a run-in with a snake while playing mini golf at wdw. It showed up in the middle of my brother putting and explored our part of the course while we just stood and stared at it.

Note, we were from a very snake-free city, it was the first time we'd ever seen a snake outside of a zoo
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #13
mollymar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post
In my world snakes and gators do not exist at Disney World. Why must you ruin this for me?
Same here. Because if I thought they did exist at WDW I might not go.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #14
Turn the Page
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymar View Post
Same here. Because if I thought they did exist at WDW I might not go.
Solidarity sister!!!

If there was an emoticon for a virtual fist bump I would put it here but there isn't so we will just have to pretend.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

There shall be no Videos or pictures for you --I will supply the eye guards. Oh my word I do not want to be the mean old woman that ruined WDW for all the people of the world. I will bow my head while watching the walkways and waterways for you on all your future trips. You know that means I am the paid to travel keeper of all slithery beasts away from you. I will accept my new found career will all the pomp I can muster.

In all I am sorry if I made Disney seem real life . Trust me I am so scared of reptiles I swear I dont sleep for the first few nights when we go to WDW-- but I still go . Gotta love the Dsiney magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post
Happy 2 B Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: