Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #31
calmpets
DIS Veteran
 
calmpets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Haven, CT
Posts: 1,358

My guess would be that the child slipped by the checker unnoticed when the grandmother was having her card swiped. Since the child's card was never swiped, one would have to assume they didn't see him at all. It shouldn't happen, but with a lot of people coming and going I can see how it could. If I were the OP, I would probably take the time to mention it to DCL, not so much as a complaint, but as an FYI so they can retrain to avoid it happening to other guests.
__________________
April in CT
calmpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #32
Disney Canadian
Mouseketeer
 
Disney Canadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Yeah, they really need to oraganize this. The problem is people get off the elevator and comedown the stairs and there really is no "line" and people just push into the crowd. maybe they need ropes or something to define the 'line'.

I agree a 'big' mistake was letting them get off without their card - crew members are not perfect. We can delegate authority but we cannot delegate responsibility. It is the parents/grandparents responsibility to keep track of their children.
I agree with most of your posts but disagree a bit to this one. This will be my first cruise ever in September with my DH and DD 3. I felt so at ease knowing that if my daughter went "missing" on the ship that she would at least be contained on the ship (unlike in WDW...who knows where she could end up! ). The pools are enough of a stress without worrying that she could get off the ship with another family, or worse!

I agree that it is my responsibility to keep track of my daughter and haven't lost her yet however I have had people use their children as battering rams to get ahead of me in a line so I'm sure they aren't above running into or between me and my daughter, thus separating us. Also, it is not my responsibility to keep track of her while she is in the kids club since I have transferred that responsibility over to them.

Don't be afraid to complain. Actually, thank you for doing so. Contrary to a pp, Disney does listen to complaints and takes them seriously, especially if it is a safety concern. This was a near miss and they will definitely be looking into it. We had something similar happen at MK and we complained and I can tell you that they took our complaint seriously and provided an amenable solution.
__________________
January 1998: Beach Club
May 2006: Port Orleans - Riverside
September 2012: Art of Animation - Nemo Suite
January 2013: Port Orleans - French Quarter
Sept/Oct 2013: AOA-Little Mermaid/Western Caribbean Cruise - Fantasy
February 2014: Pop Century/4 Night to the Bahamas on the Reimagined Magic!

November 2014: Caribbean Beach for DD's 5th Birthday
October 2015: Eastern Caribbean - Fantasy

Disney Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #33
clten
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,811

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWammy View Post
I've never heard of reservations being linked for dining purposes, sure you can request to dine with someone, but linking reservations?? So, if I sail with a class reunion of 100 people and we are seated in the same area, our reservations are linked and all of our pics pop up? That seems silly to me.
The only way the reservations agent can tell the Dining Room managers that a group of people want to sit together is to "link the reservations for dining". So yes, if you called into DCL and were part of a reunion group that requested to sit together at dinner, your reservations would be linked for dining. Because they are linked for dining only, not all 100 peoples pic pop up when one is leaving the ship.

Now if you call the reservations agent and just tell them that I am traveling w/my parents and we want our reservations linked, the reservation agent will default to fully linking the reservations. You will be seated together and your photos would be available when leaving the ship.

The terms used may not be common knowledge but it is logical that every cruise line has some automated method to pass information from reservation agents on land to the individuals on the ship that make the actions happen.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #34
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Canadian View Post
I agree with most of your posts but disagree a bit to this one. This will be my first cruise ever in September with my DH and DD 3. I felt so at ease knowing that if my daughter went "missing" on the ship that she would at least be contained on the ship (unlike in WDW...who knows where she could end up! ). The pools are enough of a stress without worrying that she could get off the ship with another family, or worse!

I agree that it is my responsibility to keep track of my daughter and haven't lost her yet however I have had people use their children as battering rams to get ahead of me in a line so I'm sure they aren't above running into or between me and my daughter, thus separating us. Also, it is not my responsibility to keep track of her while she is in the kids club since I have transferred that responsibility over to them.

Don't be afraid to complain. Actually, thank you for doing so. Contrary to a pp, Disney does listen to complaints and takes them seriously, especially if it is a safety concern. This was a near miss and they will definitely be looking into it. We had something similar happen at MK and we complained and I can tell you that they took our complaint seriously and provided an amenable solution.

They could fire the CM but that is still no gaurentee the next CM is not going to make a mistake. 3,000 people getting on/off the ship and the hope is for perfection.....reality is there will be mistakes. The FIRST mistake was allowing the child to be seperated. And there is no one to blame for this except the parent. The second mistake was by the CM for letting the child get off w/o a card. The third mistake was Grandma not immediatly getting back on the ship once she realized they were seperaed. The fourth mistake was the parents assuming grandma and child could not have exited the ship since that is where they all were going.

Look, I know how terrifying it can be be when a child 'disappears'. I was in a store in the mall and turned around and my son was gone! My heart sank and fear rose up in me. I looked the whole store over and he was not there. He had wondered out into the mall...he was 5 years old and this was around Christmas time and the mall was packed! We found him at the information desk where he'd gone looking for us. I would have loved to blamed someone for this but it was my fault, 100% my fault.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #35
TiggerBouncy
Mouseketeer
 
TiggerBouncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaKruz View Post
Carnival for cruises.
You might want to re-think that.
TiggerBouncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #36
Majordis
Mouseketeer
 
Majordis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newfoundland Canada
Posts: 116

If the card was not scanned, was there a way for DCL to record that the child had left the ship with Grandma? I am curious if they had any way to tell that he was not on board?
Majordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #37
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordis View Post
If the card was not scanned, was there a way for DCL to record that the child had left the ship with Grandma? I am curious if they had any way to tell that he was not on board?

That is a good guestion. I guess the CM would have had to of moved the child's status to "off the ship" manually since there was no card to swipe.

I suspect they have cameras in the area showing everying that comes and goes thru security. I would guess that after the complaint was filed, the video was reviewed to see how the child was missed by the CM.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #38
MagicMe
DIS Veteran
 
MagicMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside Philly, PA
Posts: 4,201

I would definitely but calmly let DCL know what happened. I don't see how they left the child off without swiping the KTTW card and what would happen when trying to come back on the ship without the KTTW card. How many times do they announce you need that card to exit and reboard (along with ID for those over 18). Even if the CM was trying to be nice, that isn't necessarily going to be the CM that lets you back on. I think that could have been more of a disaster.
__________________
Melodie
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...


MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #39
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran
 
DMMarla07860's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Andover, nj
Posts: 6,126

not blaming anyone for the mistake. But I do have to ask, was that the first port of call the OP got off at? I went on a back-2-back cruise March 16th-23rd and March 23rd-30th on the Fantasy and I will say on the first cruise one of the CM's scanning the KTTW cards knew who I was and who I was with by the second port. I always seemed to be the last one on, at least at the times we got one.
__________________
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
DMMarla07860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #40
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors
 
Kirbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,248

I'm shocked by this. I'm also amazed that there aren't more folks here that are equally shocked. I love DCL. I have no interest in cruising with anyone else. I have definitely drunk the Kool-Aid. But I think it's terrifying that this could happen!

Seriously, if this were on another line, I think the outcry here would be terrific.

I was under the impression that DCL wouldn't allow anyone, not just a child w/o its parents!, off the boat w/o a KTTW card. That seems like a serious security lapse.

I've always been so impressed with the CM's in the club/lab. They NEVER let us check our kids out w/o going through all of the security measures. Even when they knew us and knew our kids. They were very clear that we had to have our KTTW cards and know the answer to the security question. Even when the girls were clearly our children. I would expect and assume even greater security when exiting the ship!

I hope that they respond to the OP.

Oh, and because it's the DIS, I fully expect to get flamed for expressing my shock and dismay.
__________________
Kirbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #41
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post
I'm shocked by this. I'm also amazed that there aren't more folks here that are equally shocked. I love DCL. I have no interest in cruising with anyone else. I have definitely drunk the Kool-Aid. But I think it's terrifying that this could happen!

Seriously, if this were on another line, I think the outcry here would be terrific.

I was under the impression that DCL wouldn't allow anyone, not just a child w/o its parents!, off the boat w/o a KTTW card. That seems like a serious security lapse.

I've always been so impressed with the CM's in the club/lab. They NEVER let us check our kids out w/o going through all of the security measures. Even when they knew us and knew our kids. They were very clear that we had to have our KTTW cards and know the answer to the security question. Even when the girls were clearly our children. I would expect and assume even greater security when exiting the ship!

I hope that they respond to the OP.

Oh, and because it's the DIS, I fully expect to get flamed for expressing my shock and dismay.

Maybe you are shocked because you drank too much kool aid and expect perfection from DCL. But people are not perfect. Mistakes happen. My guess is that CM will be fired or severely reprimanded. Take this as a wake up call and keep track of your kids and don't rely on policy.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #42
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors
 
Kirbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Maybe you are shocked because you drank too much kool aid and expect perfection from DCL. But people are not perfect. Mistakes happen. My guess is that CM will be fired or severely reprimanded. Take this as a wake up call and keep track of your kids and don't rely on policy.
I definitely don't expect perfection from them. I've only been on two cruises and haven't had the blissful experience with the serving teams that others go on and on about. I've seen stuff that isn't perfect. When I said I drank the Kool-Aid, I meant that I love DCL, not that I think they can do no wrong.

But to let a child off the boat without his parents or a KTTW card seems pretty shocking and scary and I'm surprised that others don't find it so.

I understand that mistakes happen. I understand that people are human. However, I thought they had set policies in place to keep stuff like this from happening.
__________________
Kirbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #43
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post
I'm shocked by this. I'm also amazed that there aren't more folks here that are equally shocked. I love DCL. I have no interest in cruising with anyone else. I have definitely drunk the Kool-Aid. But I think it's terrifying that this could happen!

Seriously, if this were on another line, I think the outcry here would be terrific.

I was under the impression that DCL wouldn't allow anyone, not just a child w/o its parents!, off the boat w/o a KTTW card. That seems like a serious security lapse.

I've always been so impressed with the CM's in the club/lab. They NEVER let us check our kids out w/o going through all of the security measures. Even when they knew us and knew our kids. They were very clear that we had to have our KTTW cards and know the answer to the security question. Even when the girls were clearly our children. I would expect and assume even greater security when exiting the ship!

I hope that they respond to the OP.

Oh, and because it's the DIS, I fully expect to get flamed for expressing my shock and dismay.
I agree. And I'm also surprised that people are not more upset.

Remember the thread where the dad thought the kid was missing from the Kids Club and all the discussion was leaning towards how the kid couldn't possibly get off the ship? Well based on the OP's experience, apparently kids can.

And also to another poster's point----how would your kid get back on the ship? If he was never swiped off?

And another scenario---let's say the kid simply sliipped off the ship (not with grandma, but with the crowd). What happens if the parents can't find him and there's simply no record of him leaving?

Yes CMs make mistakes, but no one here should apologize for or defend the mistake. It should be reported to DCL, and if a formal response is given, then hopefully that response will be posted. As a parent, I'd like to know what DCL's official stance is on this issue.

Here is the old thread about the missing kid, and the ensuing 20 page thread debating whether the father overreacted b/c the kid "couldn't have possibly" gotten off the ship: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078408
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #44
Yvet
♫ She is a dancing queen ♪ One of the Netherpeople
Has quite a unique FE
 
Yvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post
I'm shocked by this. I'm also amazed that there aren't more folks here that are equally shocked. I love DCL. I have no interest in cruising with anyone else. I have definitely drunk the Kool-Aid. But I think it's terrifying that this could happen!

Seriously, if this were on another line, I think the outcry here would be terrific.

I was under the impression that DCL wouldn't allow anyone, not just a child w/o its parents!, off the boat w/o a KTTW card. That seems like a serious security lapse.

I've always been so impressed with the CM's in the club/lab. They NEVER let us check our kids out w/o going through all of the security measures. Even when they knew us and knew our kids. They were very clear that we had to have our KTTW cards and know the answer to the security question. Even when the girls were clearly our children. I would expect and assume even greater security when exiting the ship!

I hope that they respond to the OP.

Oh, and because it's the DIS, I fully expect to get flamed for expressing my shock and dismay.
Completely agree with this!!!
I hope nobody will flame you for this.

It's unacceptable from what cruiseline doesn't matter.
__________________

Upcomming Trip:
WDW: May 9th 2013
DCL: May 18th EBTA

...
Previous Trips:
ABD: 2011 (Backstage Magic)
DCL: 2008 (Western) - 2009 (PCC1.0) - 2010 (EBTA, MED, PCC2.0) - 2012 (PCC3.0, PCC4.0)
DL, 2000 - 2006 - 2011.
DLRP, 1995 - 1996 - 2002 - 2003 - 2007 - 2008 - 2011 - 2012.
WDW, 1999 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 (april/may + dec) - 2009 (april/may + dec) - 2010 (april/may + dec) - 2011 (april/may + dec) - 2012 (June + Dec).
Yvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #45
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors
 
Kirbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I agree. And I'm also surprised that people are not more upset.

Remember the thread where the dad thought the kid was missing from the Kids Club and all the discussion was leaning towards how the kid couldn't possibly get off the ship? Well based on the OP's experience, apparently kids can.

And also to another poster's point----how would your kid get back on the ship? If he was never swiped off?

And another scenario---let's say the kid simply sliipped off the ship (not with grandma, but with the crowd). What happens if the parents can't find him and there's simply no record of him leaving?

Yes CMs make mistakes, but no one here should apologize for or defend the mistake. It should be reported to DCL, and if a formal response is given, then hopefully that response will be posted. As a parent, I'd like to know what DCL's official stance is on this issue.

Here is the old thread about the missing kid, and the ensuing 20 page thread debating whether the father overreacted b/c the kid "couldn't have possibly" gotten off the ship: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078408
I thought about that thread. I read it and hadn't been too concerned that the boy could have gotten off since it would be next to impossible. Now we know that the parents were right to have flipped out since it looks to be entirely possible.
__________________
Kirbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.