Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermam42 View Post
I watched the process very closely, to the point of watching the computer screen as Daughter and two GC went off ship in front of us. I am like others wondering if they were linked.
So if I link my ressie to another Diser's so we can done together, that means they can leave the ship with my child? Surely that can not be the policy. OP, I would have asked about the policy right there and expressed my concerns them and there.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
pyramid2000
Member of the DD Geek invasion of CC
How exacty do you iron on a T-****?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Caroline, when you scan your card everyone's photo associated/linked with you comes up. When we got off the ship in San Juan with just DS, the CM asked where DD was. It was crowded in the entryway and he wanted to make sure she hadn't been seperated from us.
We were on the Wonder so don't know if that mattered. Plus there were 10 of us! lol I only saw those who were in the same room and did have to say we were linked with them. I am just not sure if they actually clicked something else to get my room up? I know my picture wasn't there initially.

1988- 1st trip to WDW/senior class trip : 1990- Carnival cruise from Puerto Rico : 5/00- 3 night CB/4 night Magic : 9/05- 4 night PO/3 night Wonder : 1/06 - 7 night Western Magic: 7/06- 5 night RCCL Explorer (Bermuda):12/09/06- 7 night Magic-DD Geek Party: 8/17/08- 15 night EBPC Magic : 11/01/09- 4 night Wonder:: 2/20/11- 4 night Dream : 11/10/11 - 3 night Dream : 10/13/12 - 7 night Western Fantasy : 04/04/13 - 4 night Miami Wonder : 01/13/14 - 4 night Magic :
pyramid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #18
pyramid2000
Member of the DD Geek invasion of CC
How exacty do you iron on a T-****?

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
So if I link my ressie to another Diser's so we can done together, that means they can leave the ship with my child? Surely that can not be the policy. OP, I would have asked about the policy right there and expressed my concerns them and there.
That is what I was wondering as well. Not sure if it would be connected to the "link" with another ressie or the allowing to be checked out of the clubs? In any case, it is a problem that they let him off of the ship WITHOUT his KTTW card. That is a pretty major error IMHO. Besides it being a general flaw, what if the OP didn't want/trust her mother to take her son off of the ship in another country? (Not in the she doesn't trust her mother kind of way, but in the, mom is getting older, not as reliable...) The KTTW card is key to this and I'm surprised people's ears aren't a little more perked up over this.

1988- 1st trip to WDW/senior class trip : 1990- Carnival cruise from Puerto Rico : 5/00- 3 night CB/4 night Magic : 9/05- 4 night PO/3 night Wonder : 1/06 - 7 night Western Magic: 7/06- 5 night RCCL Explorer (Bermuda):12/09/06- 7 night Magic-DD Geek Party: 8/17/08- 15 night EBPC Magic : 11/01/09- 4 night Wonder:: 2/20/11- 4 night Dream : 11/10/11 - 3 night Dream : 10/13/12 - 7 night Western Fantasy : 04/04/13 - 4 night Miami Wonder : 01/13/14 - 4 night Magic :
pyramid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #19
cieslack
Mouseketeer

It is possible for crew members to make mistakes. It is possible for parents to make mistakes. It is likely that Grandma was linked to the child. My wife and I had two cabins, one of us assigned to each. We have three boys and we left the ship with any combination of the kids because we registered together at check-in. I think the ship has sailed on the time to complain (pun intended). If it had been addressed at the time there would not be all the speculation (me included).

Last edited by cieslack; 04-17-2013 at 10:37 PM.
cieslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #20
courtnvm
Mouseketeer

Okay, now linking reservations really has nothing to do with it. I think it has more to do with if you had your mom listed on the kids club to allow her to get him from the club. The first cruise we were on, we linked with another group for dining purposes, but didn't allow them to take our kids out of the clubs. On this cruise (the same as you, in fact), we traveled with friends. We both had access to pick up each other's kids from the kids club. When we went off the ship that morning for our excursion, they kept saying that a parent had to scan their cards before the kids could. My DD6 was up with the other family, and because they had pick up privileges, she could scan her card before one of us did. I watched the pictures. When she scanned her card, 4 pictures popped up, the other 2 adults, my DH and myself.

I was traveling with a family that didn't watch their DS5 very well. Overall we spent countless hours throughout the entire trip looking for him. In fact, while snorkeling, they let him swim around by himself with a life vest. It made me a nervous wreck and by the end of the trip, my nerves were shot.

I'm sorry this happened to you. If it makes you feel better, then definitely say something. However, if you don't have a CM's name, it really will do no good.

courtnvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #21
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
If you are linking your reservations for dining only, you have to make it clear that you are doing that. There is two levels of linking -- fully linking, meaning these are people you know and are traveling with and you want to be able to make reservations (adult dining, excursion, spa, etc.) for each other as well as be seated at the same dining room table. The second type is linked dining. This means your reservations are linked only to have you seated at the same dining room table. You would not be able to see each others reservations, book any activities for each other, or come up at the gangway as part of the same traveling party.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #22
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I don't think it should matter whether her mom was linked, unless the CM also asked her for the child's pick up password.

The point is the system failed when the CM let the son off without his KTTW card. I mean, don't we all talk about how safe DCL is all the time when we're not allowed to pick up our own children without a password?

I hope the OP lets DCL know in writing-- it can only make our children safer.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #23
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I don't think it should matter whether her mom was linked, unless the CM also asked her for the child's pick up password.

The point is the system failed when the CM let the son off without his KTTW card. I mean, don't we all talk about how safe DCL is all the time when we're not allowed to pick up our own children without a password?

I hope the OP lets DCL know in writing-- it can only make our children safer.
The password system is only for the clubs, when liability for the child is being handed from DCL back to the parents or someone they have authorized. When disembarking, a child is the responsibility of the parent/guardian, so the password system is not used. I agree with PPs that regardless of the question about linked rooms or "authorized" adults, the child SHOULD NOT have been let off the ship without a matched KTTW card swiped.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #24
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtnvm View Post
Okay, now linking reservations really has nothing to do with it. I think it has more to do with if you had your mom listed on the kids club to allow her to get him from the club. The first cruise we were on, we linked with another group for dining purposes, but didn't allow them to take our kids out of the clubs. On this cruise (the same as you, in fact), we traveled with friends. We both had access to pick up each other's kids from the kids club. When we went off the ship that morning for our excursion, they kept saying that a parent had to scan their cards before the kids could. My DD6 was up with the other family, and because they had pick up privileges, she could scan her card before one of us did. I watched the pictures. When she scanned her card, 4 pictures popped up, the other 2 adults, my DH and myself.

I was traveling with a family that didn't watch their DS5 very well. Overall we spent countless hours throughout the entire trip looking for him. In fact, while snorkeling, they let him swim around by himself with a life vest. It made me a nervous wreck and by the end of the trip, my nerves were shot.

I'm sorry this happened to you. If it makes you feel better, then definitely say something. However, if you don't have a CM's name, it really will do no good.
My nerves were shot at letting him swim around by himself with a life vest also.

Don't like that the child was able to get off without his KTTW card.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #25
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

Last year on the Fantasy, my dd accidently left her KTTW card up in the room. The CM would not let us off the ship (at CC, BTW) until she went up to get it. My DH and other DD happened to be in front of us, so they had already gotten off the ship. I waited patiently for her to run up to the room to get her card (she is 12). Then, we got off the ship together.
I think the issue here is letting someone off the ship without the KTTW card, not really the fact that the grandmother was able to take her grandson off the ship. I would assume that the families were linked somehow, and that the OP really does trust her mother to take care of her child for a few minutes, even in a foreign port. They were, after all, waiting just off the ship for the parents.
If you feel that DCL needs to be notified, saying things like "what if my mother was a kidnapper?" is not productive and will not be taken seriously. But, "what if we had returned to the ship with a hispanic child in Cozumel who didn't have a KTTW card?" is more valid.
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #26
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you mom is partly to blame for waiting outside the ship instead of coming back on to look for you. When we travel EVERYONE, inlcuding the kids, are on the lookout for everyone else to make sure we don't get seperated. As soon as someone realizes they are seperated, you STOP and reconnect. You don't proceed out the gate and get off the ship or on the airplane or subway or whatever.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #27
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Sounds like you mom is partly to blame for waiting outside the ship instead of coming back on to look for you. When we travel EVERYONE, inlcuding the kids, are on the lookout for everyone else to make sure we don't get seperated. As soon as someone realizes they are seperated, you STOP and reconnect. You don't proceed out the gate and get off the ship or on the airplane or subway or whatever.
The disembarkation at CC on the 3/23/13 cruise was a disaster. Going down the stairs the four of us did get seperated as people were pushing to merge into the crowd on deck 2. I held onto DD12's arm tightly to keep her with me. DS14 had a form filled out to get off the ship himself at that port. He did get seperated from DH. There was nowhere to wait off to the side for them, and really no need. DD and I waited for them at the end of the gangway.

The big mistake in this case is they let someone off the ship without their KTTW card. Major breach there.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #28
PWammy
Mouseketeer

The mental gymnastics that some folks are going through to conclude anything other than a CM may have made a mistake is astounding to me. I've never heard of reservations being linked for dining purposes, sure you can request to dine with someone, but linking reservations?? So, if I sail with a class reunion of 100 people and we are seated in the same area, our reservations are linked and all of our pics pop up? That seems silly to me. If the poster didn't ask for reservations to be linked, they shouldn't have been. So either a mistake was made at check in or at the gang plank; either way, it's a CM mistake. Mistakes happen, an error in judgment trying to move groups off the ship, it happens folks, even on DCL.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #29
tajz90
Mama D

Our last two cruises, our reservations were linked with two other families not related to us. In fact, we could make shore excursion reservations for them and them for us
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #30
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
The disembarkation at CC on the 3/23/13 cruise was a disaster. Going down the stairs the four of us did get seperated as people were pushing to merge into the crowd on deck 2. I held onto DD12's arm tightly to keep her with me. DS14 had a form filled out to get off the ship himself at that port. He did get seperated from DH. There was nowhere to wait off to the side for them, and really no need. DD and I waited for them at the end of the gangway.

The big mistake in this case is they let someone off the ship without their KTTW card. Major breach there.

Yeah, they really need to oraganize this. The problem is people get off the elevator and comedown the stairs and there really is no "line" and people just push into the crowd. maybe they need ropes or something to define the 'line'.

I agree a 'big' mistake was letting them get off without their card - crew members are not perfect. We can delegate authority but we cannot delegate responsibility. It is the parents/grandparents responsibility to keep track of their children.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: