Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
BellaKruz
Earning My Ears

Magic Formal Complaint

I want to start out by saying I am not typically a "complainer". We just got off the Magic yesterday and although we had a good time, it was just good...not fab, like I thought it would be. I will write a full review later. This was my 6th cruise, first on Disney.
Okay, I just had to write a formal complaint to Disney. When we arrived in Cozumel, we were separated from my mom and 6 year old son. We were walking down the stairs and I turned around and they were gone. It scared us to death and we began retracing our steps trying to find them. We looked for over 30 minutes and could not find them. We had my son's key to the world and documents so I knew they couldn't get off the ship. I went down to deck 1to talk to someone and find out what we could do and low and behold my mom and son were standing OUTSIDE the ship! Oh yes, my mom went through security with my son without his card, etc. We were furious! My son looks nothing like my mom - he's hispanic and has a different last name. My mom is an angel but what if she had been a kidnapper?! This type of thing can't happen. The worst part is, my mom was told by a crew member to go ahead and exit the ship because we would eventually make it out. Not good.
BellaKruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
pyramid2000
Member of the DD Geek invasion of CC
How exacty do you iron on a T-****?

I am surprised that he was able to get off without his KTTW card, but I have to ask you a question. Was your mom in your cabin? Or was her cabin linked with yours? Was she listed as someone who could check him in and out of the clubs? We had two cabins, linked, mixed with adults and children and all of the adults were listed for all of the children for sign out privileges. So for example, my daughter was listed in the other cabin, but I could take her off the ship because I was linked with the cabin and my daughter even though my picture didn't automatically come up on their screen. I could do this for my nieces as well.

That said, I would still be concerned since they let him off without his KTTW card. What if you didn't trust your mother taking him off the ship by herself? I also think they are a bit lax with the kids and who can take them off the ship. They didn't seem to check very well and seemed to just believe me that they were with our cabin. I don't specifically recall if they actually checked if I was listed with them as I only saw the initial screen with my DH and BIL's pictures. But we all have the same last name. Come to think of it, I don't actually know the actually policy on this!

1988- 1st trip to WDW/senior class trip : 1990- Carnival cruise from Puerto Rico : 5/00- 3 night CB/4 night Magic : 9/05- 4 night PO/3 night Wonder : 1/06 - 7 night Western Magic: 7/06- 5 night RCCL Explorer (Bermuda):12/09/06- 7 night Magic-DD Geek Party: 8/17/08- 15 night EBPC Magic : 11/01/09- 4 night Wonder:: 2/20/11- 4 night Dream : 11/10/11 - 3 night Dream : 10/13/12 - 7 night Western Fantasy : 04/04/13 - 4 night Miami Wonder : 01/13/14 - 4 night Magic :
pyramid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
quickcat
Mouseketeer

So sorry to hear you didnt have a magical time!
As for them letting your son off with your mother, I am assuming your reservations were linked or you were all staying in the same room because then when they would have her card, his picture (and yours) would also come up so even though he doesnt look like her, the computers would have them together. Still, I understand your frustration, especially after searching! I would not have thought they would let him off without the card either.
I hope some parts of the cruise were fun at least.
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
BellaKruz
Earning My Ears

No, we were not in the same room and did not book together.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
BellaKruz
Earning My Ears

Oh and our trip was fun! We really enjoyed it. But, for the money, we will probably go back to Disney World for the characters and Carnival for cruises.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Ana~n~Joseph
I cried like a baby when my 12 month old son met Mickey for the first time

So sorry you had a bad experience. That must have been very scary and I am sure Disney would appreciate hearing about it.

We were on the same cruise as you. This was our 3rd DCL cruise, I rebooked but I'm going back to the Dream. I prefer the larger ships.

Dec ‘95 – ASMusic; Dec ‘96 – ASMusic; Dec ‘97 – offsite; Dec ‘98 – ASMusic; Dec ‘99 ASMovies ; Aug ‘02 – ASMusic ; Jan ‘06 – CBR (Honeymoon); Sept ‘06 – Pop; Nov ‘06 – ASMusic; March ‘07 – POR; Sep ‘07 – Pop; Sept '07 - DLP; Feb ‘08 – Pop; Sept ‘08 – CSR; Jan ‘09 – Pop; Jan’ 09 – CR Club; March ‘10 – Boardwalk; Sept ‘10 – CSR; May ‘11 – CR; Sept '11 - AKL; Dec '11 - AKL Club; Dec '11 - Christmas Cruise - Disney Dream; September 2012 - AKL w/ BFF - November 2012 - Pop w/ DS + Mom & Disney Dream; April 2013 Disney Magic - Coming Up: October 2013 - AKL-Kidani - ToT 10 miler; Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge; Feb 2014 - Disney Dream & AKL/BWV; Aug 2014 - Disney Magic Med; Sept 2014 - BLT, AKL & Disney Dream w/ BFF; Jan 2015 - Pop Century; October 2015 - Wine & Dine Half; Nov 2015 - Disney Wonder;
Ana~n~Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
dpuck1998
I'm innocent I tell you...innocent! I've been framed!

Worlds second largest Miami Dolphin fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaKruz View Post
Were you rooms linked? Did you eat at the same table for dinner for example?

Aug03'Yacht Club Concierge;Feb04'OKW;Oct04'Poly;Jan05'SSR;Jan06'SoG;April06'BCV/RPR;Jan07'BCV;
March07'Cruis'en;Sept07'HRH/MNSSHP;Dec07'Xmas@BCV;June08'VWL;May09'AKV/Podcast Cruise;Dec09'BCV/AKV for Xmas
April10'POR
dpuck1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
neg58
DIS Veteran

I was getting off the ship and my kids were behind me, but someone got between us. They stopped my daughter and said she needed an adult, but luckily I was still within earshot and just waved at the guy and he figured it out. Next in line was my other daughter, who actually does look like me, and there wasn't a problem. We do all have the same last name.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Caroline, when you scan your card everyone's photo associated/linked with you comes up. When we got off the ship in San Juan with just DS, the CM asked where DD was. It was crowded in the entryway and he wanted to make sure she hadn't been seperated from us.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
cieslack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Caroline, when you scan your card everyone's photo associated/linked with you comes up. When we got off the ship in San Juan with just DS, the CM asked where DD was. It was crowded in the entryway and he wanted to make sure she hadn't been seperated from us.
Exactly. The photos that were taken at registration come up on a screen. Sorry you didn't have a great time.
cieslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
PWammy
Mouseketeer

So glad it worked out and he was with your mom and not separated from her as well. This is why I had a side-eye on another thread when people were adament that a CM would NEVER let a teen off the ship by themselves or a child off the ship with an adult not on their reservation. Stuff happens, regardless of what is supposed to occur, staff make decisions that may break rules.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
m&m's mom
Waiting for the waterless cruise
I really am quite evil

I was on the same cruise as well. Besides the weather not being perfect, it was a wonderful cruise.
It sounds like your experience was scary but a "what if" complaint is not worth it to me. It was our 6th as well and I have 2 more scheduled.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaKruz View Post
I'm surprised that your mother was on the cruise and you were not linked together so you could share a dinner table. If you were not linked together in the computer, then I'm surprised they let him off the ship. But DCL is not perfect and they definitely don't like to have it pointed out that their policies were not followed by their staff. Don't expect much response from DCL.

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic
SnowWhite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Last time i looked we do not live in perfect world

All of my pencils come with erasers. I am not perfect. I think i would have made the office at the gang way aware of the mistake and moved on with enjoying the trip. Won't be the last time the 6 yr old will give you heart failure. Lost 5 year old in Animal Kingdom. Now 16 wonder if we made right decision finding him. Just kidding. I think of to many chrildren in this year who will never come home.

PS WE HAD A FANTASTIC TIME ON THE MAGIC.

Last edited by Beermam42; 04-17-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Security minded

I watched the process very closely, to the point of watching the computer screen as Daughter and two GC went off ship in front of us. I am like others wondering if they were linked.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: