Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
kayemgi
DIS Veteran

New Camera!

I'm getting a new (to me) camera for my 30th birthday! I haven't owned an SLR since they used film. I've used DSLR for work though, and I'm super excited to finally have my own! I can't wait to start testing it out! We couldn't fit a brand new DSLR into our budget, especially with going to WDW this year, but I got a refurbished Canon Rebel XS. Can't wait til it arrives!
kayemgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Congratulations and have fun.

Proof that budget doesn't need to be a major obstacle to dSLR entry. That camera can achieve excellent pictures. Newer models are primarily about more bells and whistles.
havoc315 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
kayemgi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Congratulations and have fun.

Proof that budget doesn't need to be a major obstacle to dSLR entry. That camera can achieve excellent pictures. Newer models are primarily about more bells and whistles.
Thank you! It helps that I haven't done serious photography since college. I just want something better than a P&S or my phone -- it's pretty much impossible for me to be disappointed with any DSLR at this point. Someday I might want something with those bells and whistles, but for reentry into a hobby, this is going to be great!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Angrypenguin
Disney n00b!

Congratulations! Just be warned, that was my gateway camera. The Rebel XS led to my 50D, which is now giving way to my 6D that comes today!

It's a great camera!

Wedding pics here, here, and here

Disney World pictures here and here and here

My flickr: www.flickr.com/kevinkyen
Angrypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

Congrats and enjoy your new camera!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

The XS is a solid entry level camera and is as good a place to start as any. You can learn everything you need to use any DSLR with it. But I'm going to disagree that newer cameras are just about bells and whistles though. There is more to it than that, like ISO, since unlike film you can't just swap out a sensor when a new one comes out.

If you want to start building your lens collection on the cheap KEH.com is a great place to buy used glass.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
kayemgi
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! And thanks @photochick for the tip on used lenses, great to know!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!

B&H also has a used department. Though I'm sure KEH has a wider selection.
Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
The XS is a solid entry level camera and is as good a place to start as any. You can learn everything you need to use any DSLR with it. But I'm going to disagree that newer cameras are just about bells and whistles though. There is more to it than that, like ISO, since unlike film you can't just swap out a sensor when a new one comes out.

If you want to start building your lens collection on the cheap KEH.com is a great place to buy used glass.
Yes and no. Certainly, newer cameras make improvements in image quality, especially in ISO performance. But those improvements are rather slow and incremental.
Take a look at the Canon Rebel XS (5 years old) versus the t4i (less than a year old) --- The XS has a maximum ISO of 1600, versus 12800 on the t4i -- Yes, that sounds like a big difference....
My camera is also capable of 12800 --- But the reality is, 95% of my shots are at 1600 or lower.

More importantly, dxomark rates the sensor image quality nearly identically between the XS and the t4i --- So at least according to dxomark --- A photo taken at ISO 800 or 1600 on the XS, will have the same amount of noise and same image quality as taken with the t4i.

So basically... comparing the old XS with the nearly new t4i -- At ISO 1600 or less, you're getting the same image quality.
But the newer camera has the "ability" to shoot at higher ISO. (But those higher ISOs won't do such a phenomenal job at noise).

You can look at the high ISO ability as a "bell and whistle" or you can look at it as meaningful image quality. Depends how you use it, how often you intend to use it.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Congrats! I hope you enjoy your new camera.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Yes and no. Certainly, newer cameras make improvements in image quality, especially in ISO performance. But those improvements are rather slow and incremental.
Take a look at the Canon Rebel XS (5 years old) versus the t4i (less than a year old) --- The XS has a maximum ISO of 1600, versus 12800 on the t4i -- Yes, that sounds like a big difference....
My camera is also capable of 12800 --- But the reality is, 95% of my shots are at 1600 or lower.

More importantly, dxomark rates the sensor image quality nearly identically between the XS and the t4i --- So at least according to dxomark --- A photo taken at ISO 800 or 1600 on the XS, will have the same amount of noise and same image quality as taken with the t4i.

So basically... comparing the old XS with the nearly new t4i -- At ISO 1600 or less, you're getting the same image quality.
But the newer camera has the "ability" to shoot at higher ISO. (But those higher ISOs won't do such a phenomenal job at noise).

You can look at the high ISO ability as a "bell and whistle" or you can look at it as meaningful image quality. Depends how you use it, how often you intend to use it.
How much you use the higher ISO settings depends on the individual photographer. You're also taking a very superficial look. And that's fine. It's about what those things are worth to the individual buying the camera anyway.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
How much you use the higher ISO settings depends on the individual photographer. You're also taking a very superficial look. And that's fine. It's about what those things are worth to the individual buying the camera anyway.
True, one person's "bell and whistle" may be critical to another person.
Older dSLRs didn't have video... To me, that's still a "bell and whistle" as I wouldn't really miss it if it wasn't there. But obviously, to a lot of other people, it can be a pretty critical feature.
Some of the newest Sony dSLTs have "focus peaking" to help with manual focus. (I have it on the RX100 but not on the A55). I've seen some people claim that this little firmware feature has become critical to use of manual focus, to the point of "don't know how they lived without it."

And yes, the ability to shoot at ISO 6400 or higher is quite important to someone who wants to do dark rides at Disney (as just one example), but may be virtually irrelevant to people who shoot in more regular lighting situations.
Personally, I'll sometimes stretch to ISO3200, and will only use ISO6400 in an emergency. And I never really go higher. If and when the sensors can actually produce good IQ at those ISOs, I'll use them. But for now, most modern crop sensors have advanced to the point of using those ISOs, but not using them well. For now, I'll often lock my ISO at 800, to get the fastest shutter speeds without any significant IQ loss.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Many, many times it's not the camera, but the person behind it that makes the picture. One of my best pictures was made with a Brownie (a cheap Kodak camera made in the 50s).
manning is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: