Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
UGAFan0829
DIS Veteran

How would you have addressed this?

Yesterday my department here at work had a "team building" event, and while at lunch the subject of running came up. We were discussing the upcoming Rock N' Roll Nashville race that a co-worker is doing (we'll call him Toby). He had mentioned trying to get sponsors to raise money for some of the Boston victims. This person also happens to be someone who uses a run/walk/run metho--as do myself and one other person at the table. Another co-worker (we'll call him Bob) then chimed in and said that the only way he would give money is if Toby ran the entire thing, that he would not donate if Toby did any walking what-so-ever. Basically, Bob then proceeded to let us know that races don't really count if you have to walk. My blood was boiling and I was so upset while feeling really discouraged at the same time. I'm sure there are probably people out there who may feel the same way, but in my few short years of running, I've encountered nothing but positivity towards running and walking a race. I'm still upset by it today, and I can't help but wonder what I should have said!
UGAFan0829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Ram7730
Earning My Ears

When the person who has a problem with the run/walk method runs an entire race themselves I would dignify what they say with a response however even if that happens I completely dismiss what they are saying. I mean who cares if you run, walk or some combination? If how fast you do it matters than only about .5% of those in a race matter anyway. Dismissing someone's effort because they may walk a little is ignorant in my opinion.
Ram7730 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Bob sounds like a gem. Is this typical for Bob. I would have probably tuned him out.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
JCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAFan0829 View Post
Yesterday my department here at work had a "team building" event, and while at lunch the subject of running came up. We were discussing the upcoming Rock N' Roll Nashville race that a co-worker is doing (we'll call him Toby). He had mentioned trying to get sponsors to raise money for some of the Boston victims. This person also happens to be someone who uses a run/walk/run metho--as do myself and one other person at the table. Another co-worker (we'll call him Bob) then chimed in and said that the only way he would give money is if Toby ran the entire thing, that he would not donate if Toby did any walking what-so-ever. Basically, Bob then proceeded to let us know that races don't really count if you have to walk. My blood was boiling and I was so upset while feeling really discouraged at the same time. I'm sure there are probably people out there who may feel the same way, but in my few short years of running, I've encountered nothing but positivity towards running and walking a race. I'm still upset by it today, and I can't help but wonder what I should have said!
I always tell them that their opinion is great, but I'll trust the opinion of the Olympians who write entire books about using walk breaks to improve time.

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
JCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
I always tell them that their opinion is great, but I'll trust the opinion of the Olympians who write entire books about using walk breaks to improve time.
^^^^^^ This!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
Great reply!

OP--Bob is a jerk. (I know we are supposed to be nice, but he is). But there are Bob's everywhere. We had a neighbor for a while who made comments when I went for a run with his wife about our "jogging". Refused to say it was running because we were "too slow." Another jerk. I don't know what I would have done in this case, but I do love the above reply.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Diskidatheart
Mouseketeer

My first half marathon was the Disney half this year. I ran the entire thing and was proud that I did, but I limped around for 2 days afterwards. My second half this year was a month ago and I fell short of running the entire race. I started out too fast and had to take walk breaks in each of the last 4 miles (including the final mile that was on the beach). The funny thing is that my time was 4 minutes faster in my 2nd race and I finished under 2 hours for that race. I didn't feel like it was any less of an accomplishment because I had to walk parts of it. The best part of it was that I had no issues walking around the next few days.

Whether you walk or run (or some combination of both) a 5k, 10k, 13.1 miles, 26.2 miles, or just 1 mile...it is an accomplishment to finish.
Diskidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

I would think nothing of it; however, if Bob was adressing me, I would have simply asked him what time I needed to complete the event in that would change his mind regarding donating money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
Great reply!

OP--Bob is a jerk. (I know we are supposed to be nice, but he is). But there are Bob's everywhere. We had a neighbor for a while who made comments when I went for a run with his wife about our "jogging". Refused to say it was running because we were "too slow." Another jerk. I don't know what I would have done in this case, but I do love the above reply.
I don't think Bob is a jerk, just a person with a different perspective on what running is.

1 mile......Steve Prefontaine-3:54.6________Jeff Galloway-4:12
2 mile......Steve Prefontaine-8:18:29_______Jeff Galloway-9:06
3 mile......Steve Prefontaine-12:51.4_______Jeff Galloway-14:10
6 mile......Steve Prefontaine-26:51.4_______Jeff Galloway-27:21
10K.........Steve Prefontaine-27:43.6_______Jeff Galloway-28:29

If Steve was alive today and my neighbor and felt my R/W/R was not running, I would not consider him a jerk, rather a person with far greater abilities than myself and Jeff, with his own perspective on the requirements needed to classify one as running and respect his view. I don't understand why people get so upset with how other people interpret things.

I wonder if Jeff ever R/W/R during any event against Steve or others in his younger days of all out competition.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

i would have looked him in the eye and said, "bob, you're a douche."

then again, i'm from the bronx and perhaps i'm not that nice of a person.

and then i would have told him that you and toby can make more money fundraising with your run/walk/run approach than he can with his sit-on-the-couch approach.

and then i would have shunned him for the rest of the day. end of story.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
UGAFan0829
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post

and then i would have told him that you and toby can make more money fundraising with your run/walk/run approach than he can with his sit-on-the-couch approach.

and then i would have shunned him for the rest of the day. end of story.
I like the way you think!
UGAFan0829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
I would think nothing of it; however, if Bob was adressing me, I would have simply asked him what time I needed to complete the event in that would change his mind regarding donating money.

I don't think Bob is a jerk, just a person with a different perspective on what running is.

1 mile......Steve Prefontaine-3:54.6________Jeff Galloway-4:12
2 mile......Steve Prefontaine-8:18:29_______Jeff Galloway-9:06
3 mile......Steve Prefontaine-12:51.4_______Jeff Galloway-14:10
6 mile......Steve Prefontaine-26:51.4_______Jeff Galloway-27:21
10K.........Steve Prefontaine-27:43.6_______Jeff Galloway-28:29

If Steve was alive today and my neighbor and felt my R/W/R was not running, I would not consider him a jerk, rather a person with far greater abilities than myself and Jeff, with his own perspective on the requirements needed to classify one as running and respect his view. I don't understand why people get so upset with how other people interpret things.

I wonder if Jeff ever R/W/R during any event against Steve or others in his younger days of all out competition.
Maybe this is a female perspective, but I have run into so many Bob's in my life that it is kind of ridiculous. IF Bob is a runner who regularly runs long distances, then sure he can have whatever opinion he wants. BUT most of the time the Bob's out there are just know it alls with opinions about everything that make other people feel bad. My goodness--"a race doesn't count if you don't run every stinking step". I am sorry, but who is he to spout off opinions that are intended in my opinion to make other people feel bad. Obviously this has hit a nerve with me.

I agree with dumbobuddy. I would have been thinking that word, but probably wouldn't have said it in front of him.

ETA--and I have completed half marathons running every stinking step, and I have run/walked. Both are running. Both are tiring. And I was faster run/walking.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post

I agree with dumbobuddy. I would have been thinking that word, but probably wouldn't have said it in front of him.
you know me, rose. i have a hard time keeping my mouth shut
Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #14
BackstoryWorthy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post

BackstoryWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I'd have just shrugged my shoulders, said alright, and never thought about it again. I don't share the guy's opinion but it is what it is. I've never really heard any runner put down anyone who finishes a marathon no matter what their time. Sure, there are tongue in cheek comments like the Pearl Izumi ads but I really don't think anyone views someone who is slower than them or walks as less of a marathon finisher.

Last edited by FireDancer; 04-18-2013 at 11:28 AM.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: