Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
maryj11
DIS Veteran
 
maryj11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,363

Crowds the last week of May after Memorial day ?

How bad are the crowds the last week in May ? We were thinking of arriving the day after Memorial day and stay that week. I know Gay days start some where at the end of that week. We would avoid the park that is scheduled for gay day. Just wondered if anyone has had any experience going during this time. I'm guessing it will be pretty hot and humid, but we have gone several times in September and we would be sweating about 10 minutes after leaving our room in the mornings. So we can deal with some hot weather but dont want to fight crowds while being hot Thanks for any information on this week .
__________________


maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
ghtx
"In this times that all strategies seem to be death and you pay to eat fart and make a line in the parks of DW and just a few rides..."
 
ghtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Posts: 4,848

Here's easywdw's crowd calendar: http://www.easywdw.com/may13-v7.jpg

I don't think that gay days affects crowds all that much.
__________________
-----
BLT Jan 2014; BLT Oct 2012; SSR Feb 2010; BWV May 2008; SSR June 2005; Earlier: OKWx3, Treehouse Villas (old version), CR, Poly, GF
ghtx is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter
 
Magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,430

Hey, we'll be there the same week!

This is the Gay Days schedule...

Thursday May 30, 2013: Animal Kingdom

Friday May 31, 2013: Hollywood Studios

Saturday June 1, 2013: Magic Kingdom

Sunday June 2, 2013: Epcot

According to Josh over at EasyWDW, he does recommend avoiding AK on Thursday and HS on Friday, because those parks won't deal well with the additional crowds. (And Friday at HS is also a Star Wars Weekend Day!)

However, everything changes come Saturday, when he says, "In fact, they can actually help clear out Magic Kingdom on Saturday and Epcot on Sunday due to all the people who will avoid the Park that Gay Days is visiting solely because there will be a lot of gay people around."

They're both his secondary recommendations on Saturday and Sunday, with the most recommended parks being Epcot on Saturday and AK on Sunday.

Personally, I'm sorry we'll be missing the Gay Days on Saturday and Sunday.

It's also worth keeping in mind that the crowds will likely be heavy-ish (7/8 according to EasyWDW, out of a scale of 10) all week, especially if you're used to travelling during less busy times of the year (like us!). So adjust accordingly.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
E-P-C-O-T
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Hey, we'll be there the same week!

This is the Gay Days schedule...

Thursday May 30, 2013: Animal Kingdom

Friday May 31, 2013: Hollywood Studios

Saturday June 1, 2013: Magic Kingdom

Sunday June 2, 2013: Epcot

According to Josh over at EasyWDW, he does recommend avoiding AK on Thursday and HS on Friday, because those parks won't deal well with the additional crowds. (And Friday at HS is also a Star Wars Weekend Day!)

However, everything changes come Saturday, when he says, "In fact, they can actually help clear out Magic Kingdom on Saturday and Epcot on Sunday due to all the people who will avoid the Park that Gay Days is visiting solely because there will be a lot of gay people around."

They're both his secondary recommendations on Saturday and Sunday, with the most recommended parks being Epcot on Saturday and AK on Sunday.

Personally, I'm sorry we'll be missing the Gay Days on Saturday and Sunday.

It's also worth keeping in mind that the crowds will likely be heavy-ish (7/8 according to EasyWDW, out of a scale of 10) all week, especially if you're used to travelling during less busy times of the year (like us!). So adjust accordingly.
We will be going to MK on saturday and Epcot on sunday and expect to have the time of our lives. My mother taught me that love is love and that everyone should do what makes them happy and I will teach DD the same. As a matter of fact, I can't wait, Gay days here we come...
__________________
My is 5yrs old. She is very lucky little girl who Mickey as much as mommy.

May09 CSR /AKV/BWV Sep09 VWL Jan10 POP/AKV APR10 POP Jun10 AKL/BWV Sep10 BCV Jan11 POP/BWV May11 BCV/BWV Jun/Jul11 SWAN/SSR Sep11 AKV/BWV/BCV Jan12 POP/BCV Feb 12 SSR May12 POP/AKV/BCV Sep12 2012 AKV/BCV/Disney Dream Dec12 Reunion Resort/WL May/Jun13 AKV/BCV/Reunion Resort/BLT Oct13 AKL Dec/Jan14 BCV/AOA/AKV Jan BCV

Currently planning many other trips, but, Mommy is running low on DVC points
E-P-C-O-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
alhurricane
DisDads #733
 
alhurricane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Daphne, AL
Posts: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
How bad are the crowds the last week in May ? We were thinking of arriving the day after Memorial day and stay that week. I know Gay days start some where at the end of that week. We would avoid the park that is scheduled for gay day. Just wondered if anyone has had any experience going during this time. I'm guessing it will be pretty hot and humid, but we have gone several times in September and we would be sweating about 10 minutes after leaving our room in the mornings. So we can deal with some hot weather but dont want to fight crowds while being hot Thanks for any information on this week .
We will be there from 5/28-6/4 for our first trip. From all that I read, yes it will be busy, but not near as busy as Memorial Day weekend or later in the summer. Since it's first time, we won't know any better! We are following the advice from easywdw.com to help us beat the crowds as much as possible.
alhurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
TwinkleKS
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 315

I've been at least three times that exact same week, during gay days. And my mother takes my nephew every year during that week (it is the best week for them because of custody arrangements, school, etc.). It's hot, the crowds are not at their highest, but you do have to wait for rides.

I've always found the gay days part a non issue.
TwinkleKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
DHSsenior007
Tears up when she watches the Disney Vacation Planning video
Likes to get "Disnified"
Tag Wars, Episode I: The Changing of MonorailDude's Tag
 
DHSsenior007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas A&M
Posts: 1,247

My husband and I went for that week for our honeymoon 2 years ago and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. We followed my normal WDW strategy- get there at rope drop and stay through post-lunch. Head back to the resort and chill, then go back to the park around dinner. It worked well for us and we still got everything we needed to done. I would second the comments others said above in terms of parks to avoid but we never really had bad crowd issues.

Hope you have a good trip!
__________________
DVC Members' daughter since '98 at BWV.
Too many trips to count, including our 2011 BWV Honeymoon!
Fightin' Texas Aggie class of 2011! Gig 'em, Aggies!
DHSsenior007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
maryj11
DIS Veteran
 
maryj11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,363

Thanks every for your input I'm trying to find the best time to go when DGD is not in school. It is either the last week in May or the 3rd week in August.
Anyone else please feel free to post your opinions or experiences
__________________


maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
maryj11
DIS Veteran
 
maryj11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,363

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkleKS View Post
I've been at least three times that exact same week, during gay days. And my mother takes my nephew every year during that week (it is the best week for them because of custody arrangements, school, etc.). It's hot, the crowds are not at their highest, but you do have to wait for rides.

I've always found the gay days part a non issue.
Hello, about how long were the waits for the rides ?
__________________


maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter
 
Magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,430

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
Hello, about how long were the waits for the rides ?
Check out Josh's new Cheat Sheets...

http://www.easywdw.com/category/cheat-sheets/

Click on the full cheat sheet for the park you want, then scroll down to the bottom. There's predicted wait times for each of the rides, throughout the day. The crowd level you want to look at for the last week of May is 7 - 8.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
Bullseye
Faithful Companion
 
Bullseye's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Plainfield, Illinois
Posts: 1,816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Check out Josh's new Cheat Sheets...

http://www.easywdw.com/category/cheat-sheets/

Click on the full cheat sheet for the park you want, then scroll down to the bottom. There's predicted wait times for each of the rides, throughout the day. The crowd level you want to look at for the last week of May is 7 - 8.
Ca-kooo Ca-kooo... oops sorry I jumped the gun didn't I

Right on! Let's go early June Crowd! Party time
__________________
POR Jun05 & Jun06 ~ ASMU Suites Jun07 & Jun08 ~ CS Oct09 ~ FWC Jun10 ~ BLT Jun11 ~ OKW/AKV May12 ~ AKV/BLT June13 ~ BC June14 ~ AKV/BC June15

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
Bullseye
Faithful Companion
 
Bullseye's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Plainfield, Illinois
Posts: 1,816

dup post
__________________
POR Jun05 & Jun06 ~ ASMU Suites Jun07 & Jun08 ~ CS Oct09 ~ FWC Jun10 ~ BLT Jun11 ~ OKW/AKV May12 ~ AKV/BLT June13 ~ BC June14 ~ AKV/BC June15

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter
 
Magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Ca-kooo Ca-kooo... oops sorry I jumped the gun didn't I

Right on! Let's go early June Crowd! Party time
Let's play follow the leader!
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
wishinuponastar
Mouseketeer
 
wishinuponastar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: chillicothe, missouri
Posts: 107

I will be there may 28 to june 3rd.... staying at the poly and can't wait!
__________________


Me DH DS DD
wishinuponastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #15
Nole95
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 303

We went in 2010 during that week and will be back next month as well that same week (5/26-6/1). Staying at Beach Club.

Crowds were not overly bad. We were at rope drop each day and got everything done we wanted. Took breaks a couple of afternoons before heading back to the parks. Amazing what you can get done when you show up at opening.
__________________
http://nolerunner.blogspot.com
Nole95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.